Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This transfer window has to be big

JVacation

Jul 19, 2019
Overall the summer transfer window was a bit quiet which is understandable with everything going on. Clubs except a couple were a bit hesitant on going for those transfers which you normally see during the summer. This transfer window especially is a good time for Brighton to make some good potential signings. Currently we are 9th in the Premier League. Players around the world should now notice that we have a rather good squad and can offer a lot of options for players. My main issue and it's the same issue that a lot of other fans support is that we need that out and out striker. Welbeck and Maupay have been playing well I must say but I don't believe Welbeck has it in him to play a full 90 ( I might be wrong ). My worry is that our board might not give Potter the money to take a risk on signing that striker we want, Majority of our transfers always try to minimise risk as much possible and I feel like this could end up pushing coaches and our manager away. We've always said in the past we need to sign a good striker and now in my opinion there is no time better than right now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We need a striker and the transfer window is open.

Now that's a hot take.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Overall the summer transfer window was a bit quiet which is understandable with everything going on. Clubs except a couple were a bit hesitant on going for those transfers which you normally see during the summer. This transfer window especially is a good time for Brighton to make some good potential signings. Currently we are 9th in the Premier League. Players around the world should now notice that we have a rather good squad and can offer a lot of options for players. My main issue and it's the same issue that a lot of other fans support is that we need that out and out striker. Welbeck and Maupay have been playing well I must say but I don't believe Welbeck has it in him to play a full 90 ( I might be wrong ). My worry is that our board might not give Potter the money to take a risk on signing that striker we want, Majority of our transfers always try to minimise risk as much possible and I feel like this could end up pushing coaches and our manager away. We've always said in the past we need to sign a good striker and now in my opinion there is no time better than right now.

Haven't you seen the latest headlines?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We need a striker and the transfer window is open.

Now that's a hot take.

simpsons-sarcastic.gif

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Majority of our transfers always try to minimise risk as much possible

With greatest respect, cobblers.

It's clear to me our recruitment strategy is focused on extracting value where it is available, whether immediate value (Veltman for example) or longer term (all our players out in Belgium). There is risk in that, as with all transfers, but the price is generally lower. The 'easy' route is to sign a £30m+ 'premier league ready' striker (you don't say as much, but reading between the lines I think that may be what you want to see), many would see that as low risk when in fact it's higher risk given it ties up funds putting all your pound shaped eggs in one Rhian Brewster shaped basket.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Luckily Potter is a bit more realistic than you, but great 50th post.:thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

TL;DR OP. Will be make and mend, same as usual. Especially with DJ Locadia off the payroll and with a nice run of luck and results under the belt already. This is probably the LEAST likely transfer window in recent seasons that we'll be splashing the cash. We go again, barring the odd straight-to-loan-elsewhere speculative punt

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The transfer window can't be any bigger than the FA allows. I think it is about 4 weeks.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think we'll end up with an attacking player, but I doubt we'll nab a true number 9 type - which is very much what I think we need. I'm sure the club have some irons in the fire but the question really is whether we can do a decent enough deal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Suspect we will go for the Arsenal striker ……

Nketiah? I think he's about the right level for the backup striker we want. Something to prove and should chip in with some quality/goals, and a clear upgrade on Connolly/Locadia.

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
We really do need that extra striker and I completely expect the club to not get him. I would settle for Ferguson getting a decent chance though if the club think he’s ready.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
TL;DR OP. Will be make and mend, same as usual. Especially with DJ Locadia off the payroll and with a nice run of luck and results under the belt already. This is probably the LEAST likely transfer window in recent seasons that we'll be splashing the cash. We go again, barring the odd straight-to-loan-elsewhere speculative punt

This. With bells on. With bells and whistles on. With bells and whistles and wrapped in shiny paper with a bow.

Do I not see the table position everyone else sees? Why spend big when the investment strategy (buy bargains, invest in the academy) is now starting to pay dividends in terms of league position.

Tony is neither rash nor stupid.

I'm expecting a net return from this window, we just need to sell someone to cover the airfare we paid out to get rid of DJ LOC.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We really do need that extra striker and I completely expect the club to not get him. I would settle for Ferguson getting a decent chance though if the club think he’s ready.

Ferguson is nowhere near ready. Currently developing in U23 and gaining experience of travelling with first team squad. Just cos he’s big and scoring for U23s doesn’t mean he’s PL ready.

Will he play for U23s tonight or be with FA Cup squad for tomorrow? Let’s see

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here