Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldstone 25

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
This April, it will be twenty-five years since our final game at The Goldstone. I know …

My thread is multi-parted.

1/ From the poster that brought you the two smash hit tournaments: Albion moment of the Decade & 10 years on, the best ever moment @ Withdean

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...ion-Moment-of-the-Decade-The-Final&highlight=

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...st-Withdean-Moment-The-Final-*****&highlight=

I now present. Goldstone 25. The best moment.

In the run up to 26 April, I will be hosting a tournament for the best ever / most momentous moment at our former home.

Please nominate your suggestions on this thread. I will not cap the number of entries and will work out the format depending on entrants. We will then work our way through the competition paying visit to a lot of memories along the way. I know best ever is going to be subjective!

2/ Are the club or NSC going to do anything to mark this ‘occasion’? Maybe we can have a social like the old days? Maybe the club could do something at our game vs. Southampton as it is closest to the anniversary. Maybe we should do a in person meeting with some legends?

Anyway, please post your suggestions below and then we can get the tournament going and use it as a chance to reminisce.

Goldstone-Aerial.jpg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
A few suggestions for iconic moments to get the ball rolling -

Stuart Storer - the final goal at the Goldstone (bit of an obvious one I know)
Brighton 2 Liverpool 0 1983/84 FA Cup 4th Round.
George Parris goal vs Bristol Rovers 1995.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Will give this some thought.

Always good to see pics of the old place, especially aerial shots. A dump, but it was our dump, as the saying goes.

As an aside: has anyone been clever enough to superimpose the Amex onto the Goldstone site, just to see the difference in scale, and to understand what creating it there would have meant for surrounding roads and buildings? (A completely academic exercise I know.)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Left field but I'll nominate
England B 1 - 1 Italy B (friendly)
14 November 1989
england team including Nigel Martyn, Dave Beasant, Paul Parker Lee Dixon, Tony Dorigo, Michael Thomas, Tony Adams, Gary Pallister, Dennis Wise, Peter Beagrie, Paul Gascoigne, Steve Bull, David Batty.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Rochdale, promotion game in 1972.

My first game. However in those days my Dad worked out that you could get in for free at half time and so most of the games I saw in those days were the second half only!

First full game was the Geoff Sidebottom testimonial a week or so later!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One for the also rans.

Ian Chapman's equalizer v Bournemouth on a biblically wet night.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and before this gets stupidly nostalgic can someone far cleverer than I, superimpose the AMEX footprint over that or a similar photo.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
One for the also rans.

Ian Chapman's equalizer v Bournemouth on a biblically wet night.

Was that the 3-3 one of the most memorable for me, we were bloody soaked to the skin ion the East terrace

happy days

I reckon we should all go back and smash everything up, make it worthless, then buy iyt and build a new one . . . . although I was 25 back then, my best smashing up days are probably behind me

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Oh and before this gets stupidly nostalgic can someone far cleverer than I, superimpose the AMEX footprint over that or a similar photo.

I did something a while back, new stadia from HPTavern to Goldstone Lane, underground parking etc

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Brian Wade scoring all 4 against Newcastle on a midweek evening. Thought we'd got a gem there. Did he score again !!?? Or Wilkins FK v Ipswich to get us in the playoffs

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brian Wade scoring all 4 against Newcastle on a midweek evening. Thought we'd got a gem there. Did he score again !!?? Or Wilkins FK v Ipswich to get us in the playoffs

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Yep.

I'll add Micky Small squaring up to the Millwall (where? ) fans in 'that' game.

Which in itself is a further highlight.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Rochdale, promotion game in 1972.

My first game. However in those days my Dad worked out that you could get in for free at half time and so most of the games I saw in those days were the second half only!

I used to arrive at 12 oclock , walk through the empty gate at the north west corner and sit at the back of the north stand (when it had a roof) and spend the entry fee on hamburgers etc .
40 years later when i confessed to my dad what i spent the entry fee on - he said " do you think im silly son- i knew you were doing that" !.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here