Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Is Portslade any fun?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm thinking about doing this thing - https://www.folkhogskola-england.se/ - studying on a "folk high school", three months in Sweden and three months (28 March to June something) in Portslade. While it says it is only 8 minutes by train from Brighton (and one hour from London but who wants to go there?), if I know myself correctly I'll primarly spend my days within walking distance, meaning the joys of Portslade would be important.

My primary hobbies include:
- Football
- Drinking
- Smoking all sorts of things (not massively important but a plus)
- Women
- Walking in nature

So basically I'm wondering if there is any local football team there? Any good pubs? Are people in Portslade the... smoking kind of people? Are the ladies nice? Is there some good parks and other recreational areas?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You could lodge with [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]?

I look forward to the daily updates on NSC :moo:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm thinking about doing this thing - https://www.folkhogskola-england.se/ - studying on a "folk high school", three months in Sweden and three months (28 March to June something) in Portslade. While it says it is only 8 minutes by train from Brighton (and one hour from London but who wants to go there?), if I know myself correctly I'll primarly spend my days within walking distance, meaning the joys of Portslade would be important.

- Football
- Drinking
- Women
- Walking in nature

So basically I'm wondering if there is any local football team there? Any good pubs? Are people in Portslade the... smoking kind of people? Are the ladies nice? Is there some good parks and other recreational areas?

Portslade and the surrounding areas are shit, go to Hastings [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fingers crossed he tries to bring with him a tennis bat.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

- Football
- Drinking
- Women
- Walking in nature

Hmm, it's kind of like a depressing zombie apocalypse has happened there.

About 8 pubs, probably 2 of which are good. Not that many women under 55 years and 16 stone (sorry to all the Portslade ladies on here). Very few people there don't smoke. It's supposed to be improving, but at a fairly glacial rate

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Used to be a bit shit - now it is a bit better but full of people that pretend they are from Brighton

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

About 8 pubs, probably 2 of which are good. Not that many women under 55 years and 16 stone (sorry to all the Portslade ladies on here). Very few people there don't smoke. It's supposed to be improving, but at a fairly glacial rate

Dog shit all over the pavements and litter everywhere, ****ing depressing place, and to think a couple of years ago it was “Up and coming”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hmm... tbf the host families seems to be more spread out, the only thing is that everyone is "within 25 minutes of walk from a bus going to Portslade" so I might not have to live in Portslade itself.

But I get the general impression, behind those careful words, that Portslade may not be fantastic.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

- Football
- Drinking
- Women
- Walking in nature

If I know Portslade correctly, you will primarily be getting on a bus to Brighton, the joy of Portslade is leaving it.

Bear in mind, this is the opinion of someone who lives in Crawley, which is widely regarded as a shithole by the rest of Sussex.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Somewhat depends upon which part of Portslade. If it's the area around the station ( down the Bound as it's known by some locals ) then it's ... err ... interesting. Few pubs - some fine, some less fine. There's a local park with football pitches but I don't know what the local teams are or what they are like. Smoke anything you like - nobody will bat an eyelid. Near the beach for walking. Couldn't possibly comment on the women generally although I did get a very good lap dance from a very sexy young lady that lived in Portslade once.

If you're talking about Portslade Old Village ( and I suspect you might be as you may well be going to study at PACA ) then there's less pubs but they are OK. It's right next to Mile Oak which has some football teams for all ages. Probably less to do - it's more the Burbs.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think of Portslade just as a suburb of Brighton. Theres little to do in Portslade itself (few pubs etc and lots of weed dealers) but few minutes on the bus and you can be in the countryside or in the centre of Brighton.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This is incorrect.

There are lots of women here who are under 55 and 16 stone.

But they're all lesbians.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Positives:
Stanley Arms
Danglers - make sure your host family are members.
Wish Park cafe
Beach and prom

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

- Football
- Drinking
- Women
- Walking in nature

Okay, I'm going to buck the trend and completely back Portslade here...

1. Football
Mile Oak FC play in the Sussex County Leagues, while you have Victoria Park, Greenleas Park all hosting grass roots football.

2. Drinking
Portslade Village includes 2 pubs to enjoy a selection of real ales, while Boundary Road has The Railway which does great food and drink, and micro brewery The Foghorn (run by Albion fans). There are other pubs but they're a bit meh...

3. Smoking
It's not Amsterdam...

4. Women
See 3.

5. Walking
Portslade directly links to the South Downs via Hangleton, Benfield Valley, and Mile Oak. You can be up at Devil's Dyke in a brisk 45min walk. It's a great location to explore what the South Downs have to offer. You also have the Coast Way walk that can take you right along the coast from Rottingdean to Chichester.

Hope that helps.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If I know Portslade correctly, you will primarily be getting on a bus to Brighton, the joy of Portslade is leaving it.

Bear in mind, this is the opinion of someone who lives in Crawley, which is widely regarded as a shithole by the rest of Sussex.

and quite a few from crawley :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here