Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colston Four Cleared

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This.

But there will no doubt be a usual syspect along in a minute to say 'whatbout pulling down Nelson's column; political correctness gone mad; just vandalism'. I'll get my reply in early doors I think, and my reply is 'do **** off'.

Who slid up and down Nelsons column ? (…. …….)

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
You can be charged & found not guilty, depending on the jury.

Justification is different.

That's the question, is criminal damage simply criminal damage in the eyes of the law. Slippery slope if criminal damage becomes excusable if a person believes it to be justified. If an act is criminal damage then it should remain criminal damage whether or not an individual or group believe the criminal damage is justified.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sometimes things are justified. The Suffragettes caused criminal damage, but the cause was right.

I blew my whistle continuously throughout the Hull City game…. Sometimes you have to get a little dirty

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some are saying we cannot have "anarchy" and mobs cannot break the law like this. Okay. But then when the judicial process is followed to the letter of the law according to the enshrined laws of the land.....It's somehow wrong. Which is it people?

You want the law to be upheld when the statue is pulled down (it was. They were arrested, charged and tried by a jury of their peers) but call for the law to be abandoned because you don't like the verdict?

It makes no sense.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's the question, is criminal damage simply criminal damage in the eyes of the law. Slippery slope if criminal damage becomes excusable if a person believes it to be justified. If an act is criminal damage then it should remain criminal damage whether or not an individual or group believe the criminal damage is justified.

They were found not guilty by the jury. So you want to uphold the law when it comes to criminal damage but not when it comes to being tried by a jury of peers? In all cases or just if you don't like the verdict?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Life is never that simple.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It will annoy Priti Patel who had demanded that police go after these folk as their behaviour 'was utterly disgraceful'. So that must surely be a good result?!

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
They were found not guilty by the jury. So you want to uphold the law when it comes to criminal damage but not when it comes to being tried by a jury of peers? In all cases or just if you don't like the verdict?

Yes i believe the law should be upheld when it comes to criminal damage and jurys can be wrong and yes i disagree with this verdict as i am fully entitled to be allowed to, as are others too, no doubt there will be quite a few opinion pieces in articles over the next few days doing just that.
Others involved in the incident were offered a conditional caution, paid a fine and did community service. Perhaps the CPS should not have pushed for a criminal conviction of the remaining four considering some people are now saying criminal damage can be justified.
Remove the statue by consent to a museum by all means, but there is a legal due process way for this to be carried out (time consuming) not by smashing it up and throwing it in the river when you dont have the legal authority to remove it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes i believe the law should be upheld when it comes to criminal damage and jurys can be wrong and yes i disagree with this verdict as i am fully entitled to be allowed to, as are others too, no doubt there will be quite a few opinion pieces in articles over the next few days doing just that.
Others involved in the incident were offered a conditional caution, paid a fine and did community service. Perhaps the CPS should not have pushed for a criminal conviction of the remaining four considering some people are now saying criminal damage can be justified.
Remove the statue by consent to a museum by all means, but there is a legal due process way for this to be carried out (time consuming) not by smashing it up and throwing it in the river when you dont have the legal authority to remove it.

The defendants can always appeal if they feel the verdict was wrong.

P.S there are many cases where criminal damage has been found to be justified. Probably tens of thousands. This is one of them.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It will annoy Priti Patel who had demanded that police go after these folk as their behaviour 'was utterly disgraceful'. So that must surely be a good result?!

Amazing.

She won’t get one second of sleep tonight, too busy shaking with rage whilst thinking of a way to get rid of juries and replace them with handpicked Tory judges!

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
P.S there are many cases where criminal damage has been found to be justified. Probably tens of thousands. This is one of them.

You mean like firefighters who have a protection in law for water damage to a property when putting out a fire? Hardly the same thing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You mean like firefighters who have a protection in law for water damage to a property when putting out a fire? Hardly the same thing.

No. I mean like people removing/destroying Nazi flags or other offensive/inciting livery from people’s property. I don’t see this as any different.

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015
No. I mean like people removing/destroying Nazi flags or other offensive/inciting livery from people’s property. I don’t see this as any different.

Where they charged with criminal damage and subsequently found not guilty? Links?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Interesting read about the extinction rebellion members acquitted of CD by a jury…

David Lambert FRSA is one of six people who this April were found not guilty of criminal damage as part of action taken by Extinction Rebellion’s activity. He explains what happened.

https://www.thersa.org/comment/2021/05/a-defence-of-criminal-damage

“We did not quote him verbatim but Martin Luther King’s famous comment in his letter from jail in 1963 is so well-known as to be almost subliminal: "One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws". Now we need the law to catch up with what the people already know”.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...and if a mob descended on Highate Cemetery and trashed the Marx memorial, you know, that fella who created the ideology directly responsible for millions of deaths... millions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rubbish example..

One it's a grave and statues of Marx are quite rare, even in Russia what with him being primarily a philosopher who died before the revolution etc...

Not forgetting that anyone of that persuasion has spent the last hundred odd years arguing being themselves what he meant in reality.

If you take the position that Marx was responsible for the atrocities of the USSR and the satellite states, then you have to be consistent and ban any form of religious iconography, literature etc... You can then go down further rabbit holes about the influence of the British Empire on Hitler...

As for Stalin etc.. (which I posted above) no tear them down...

,, oh they did. Did you file a complaint ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here