Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colston Four Cleared

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...and if a mob descended on Highate Cemetery and trashed the Marx memorial, you know, that fella who created the ideology directly responsible for millions of deaths... millions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Don’t Look Up!!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No. You have.

I feel extremely strongly about this because I know exactly what happened.

And gross generalisations from people who don’t I find extremely unnecessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yet you will not enlighten the rest of us who apparently just think we know what happened. If you have some insight that the rest of us do not, why not help us to feel the way you do and educate us?

Jan 30, 2008
Really? Didn't they admit they were the ones that pulled the statue down. Their only defence was that it wasn't a criminal act.

It's farcical that people are defending mob handed action without any prior agreement to what they were going to do regardless of what ever the statue stood for

Regards
DF

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yet you will not enlighten the rest of us who apparently just think we know what happened. If you have some insight that the rest of us do not, why not help us to feel the way you do and educate us?

Because I am deeply uncomfortable doing so.

It’s not pleasant and rather too close to home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's farcical that people are defending mob handed action without any prior agreement to what they were going to do regardless of whatever the statue stood for

Regards
DF

Weren’t you celebrating mob handed action in Hastings stopping the life boats being launched to help the migrant boats the other week?

I’m sure everyone who reads your posts will be stunned to discover your hypocrisy.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ahem as I live in bloody Bristol...anychance you could stick to talking about football?

Petition after petition wanted it gone. Majority wanted it moved to a museum with an accurate, fact based explanation of Colston's role in the slave trade AND the social impact his money had on the city. Its all a bit complicated this 'laundering' of money to create schools and concert halls.

Its been fished out of the harbour and will be in the museum soon. Meanwhile Concert Halls, pubs, schools and street names are all changed and the majority still call them by their original names.

Anyways it will continue to simmer and other protests take their place...today's was by moped delivery drivers highlighting the conflict between rival mafia gangs involved in the industry. I shit you not.

The Polish guy in the office reckons we have signed a wonder player in young KK.
Those petitions were never signed by more that 10k signatories ... a lot of them transient students,..... 700k folk live in Bristol.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Get off your high horse!!

They admitted they pulled the statue down but my understanding is their argument was that it wasn't a criminal act.

I wasn't in court and I'm guessing neither were you so we didn't hear or see any evidence. Neither of us heard the Judges summing up or direction to the jury. But juries do get it wrong, or, as I suspect in this case, there were people on the jury that didn't want to convict them.

It's my opinion they were as guilty as sin of causing criminal damage.

You do realise that stating you know what their argument was (and their argument in this case is ONLY the argument presented by the defence in the court) and then stating that you weren't in court is completely contradictory, right?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
So what you're saying is we need more statues of bad stuff to remind us bad stuff might happen if we're not reminded of the bad stuff enough?

Okaaaaay......

Not what I said at all. I don't happen to think that the move it to a museum suggestion is a bad thing, but you could also provide informational plaques in situ.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
...and if a mob descended on Highate Cemetery and trashed the Marx memorial, you know, that fella who created the ideology directly responsible for millions of deaths... millions.

You are incorrect you know?

His ideology (Marxism) was indirectly responsible for millions of deaths not directly.

Ideology like Leninism can be more closely associated with the deaths of millions put perhaps it’s the warped ideology of Maosim & Stalinism that can be viewed as directly responsible for millions of deaths, these are quite, quite removed from Marxism which although incredibly naive and downright stupid in places, is not evil.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They are still young and misguided.

Surely you don't agree with organised vandalism?

I not sure if you have noticed I have hardly said anything on Brexit for 2 years, it's all done and we are moving forward it's only the few that keep harping back to it at every opportunity.
We could bash over the subject for hours, but I don't intend to because I am more than happy at what I voted for and look forward to new growth down the line.

Back on topic do you really believe people can wreck property and get off Scot-free?

Well they can, and do, if they're members of The Bullingdon Club, like your mates Dave and BJ.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Were the Suffragettes who were caught causing criminal damage found not guilty if they found themselves in court on those charges?
Is all criminal damage justified or just criminal damage if someone believes their cause is right?

Sometimes it’s justified. Like breaking goalposts.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’m really proud that our judicial system recognised this.

These moments are very rare indeed though and will rightly be detailed in the museum as history was made the day Colston was tugged, dethroned and finally dunked.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You do realise that stating you know what their argument was (and their argument in this case is ONLY the argument presented by the defence in the court) and then stating that you weren't in court is completely contradictory, right?

Bizarre comment. You don't have to be somewhere to have an idea what went on.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...rial-urged-to-be-on-the-right-side-of-history

Read the comments relating to the closing arguments for the defence and no where do they try to claim they didn't actually topple the statue.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Someone's been reading the Wall Street Journal and USA today I see :rolleyes:

You can equally argue Capitalism has been directly responsible for the deaths of literally millions of people, and furthermore is currently looking to be on course for causing the death of a planet.

But then that's History for you. Depends whose account you want to read.

johanngull

Jul 8, 2015

You missed a question. Were the Suffragettes who were caught causing criminal damage found not guilty if they found themselves in court on those charges?
I believe you can be charged with criminal damage and vandalism for smashing goalposts whether in a stadium or in a local park even if you believe the act was justified.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mentally, it sound like it, what were they thinking?

Can you imagine aeeing four kids smashing up a memorial park bench, because they didn't like the guy who it was a memorial for?

Or someone smashing up a grave stone of someone they didn't agree with.

This judgement is off the plot, if you ask me.

Seriously, it makes no sense at all.

I understand how you can see it like that, but there is a great deal of context here; the deeds of the man, the attempts to have the statue removed by legal means, the intransigence of the authorities....

Imagine that you were descended from slaves, and the man that enslaved your ancestors had a statue in Hove park, commemorating the buildings he built with the profits made from buying and selling your ancestors.

Imagine you had campaigned repeatedly to have the statue put away in a museum (historical value acknowledged).

Imagine the council said "No, sir, we love this man, sir, he is revered here by us folk, sir".

And you tried again. And, rinse and repeat?

And you walked past the statue each day, and your kid said 'who is that great man, dad?'

What then?

This isn't an anonymous plaque on a park bench.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Justice was administered correctly today. Anyone with the slightest sense of fairness and compassion would applaud the removal of the statue and the subsequent verdict.

It's no shock to anyone that the usual handful of contrarians are arguing the opposite. The sort of people who would grass people up in Nazi Germany because "It's the law". The argument holds no water when the law in a particular instant is unjust.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You missed a question. Were the Suffragettes who were caught causing criminal damage found not guilty if they found themselves in court on those charges?
I believe you can be charged with criminal damage and vandalism for smashing goalposts whether in a stadium or in a local park even if you believe the act was justified.

You can be charged & found not guilty, depending on the jury.

Justification is different.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Mentally, it sound like it, what were they thinking?

Can you imagine aeeing four kids smashing up a memorial park bench, because they didn't like the guy who it was a memorial for?

Or someone smashing up a grave stone of someone they didn't agree with.

This judgement is off the plot, if you ask me.

Seriously, it makes no sense at all.

A grave stone is a burial mark, a memorial bench something personal. A statue is a celebration of someone, a call to homage. Very different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here