Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colston Four Cleared

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Which judge was that then?

Also, can you clarify what is the distinction between history and the past as that escapes me?

The past is completed and can never be changed.

History is an ongoing discussion of trying to explain the past and is open to change and revision.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I don't agree with violent means to achieve an end, but I sense, in this country, even the most patient and good meaning of people are forced to
resort to it through frustration at institutional red tape and bureaucrats all with their snouts in the trough.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case, that is a rubbish analogy - Bristol is not not entirely populated by the descendants of slaves.

We need to be reminded of our past, and reminded that what is considered to be obviously wrong now might not necessarily have been considered so in days gone past. If we forget that people can treat other people as a commodity without thought then there is a danger it's will happen again.

It already is. They are being trafficked across the Channel daily.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good.
Citizens don’t always need to wait for permission by bureaucrats to take action. They didn’t want the statue there, they took it down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Woke judge disagrees with you, so is the Enemy of the People :jester:
No idea if the judge is 'woke' or not (but being that they are a judge I'd tend to assume probably not) but I do wonder at some people seemingly unaware that it is the jury that decides guilt or innocence, not the judge. :jester:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They should have been found guilty because they were but then given a token fine, say 1p.

This now means that anyone can damage anything and justify it based on this case.

Surely, court verdicts that set precedents in law are based on a judge’s verdict rather than a jury’s which could go either way depending on the whim of the jurors?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Ahem as I live in bloody Bristol...anychance you could stick to talking about football?

Petition after petition wanted it gone. Majority wanted it moved to a museum with an accurate, fact based explanation of Colston's role in the slave trade AND the social impact his money had on the city. Its all a bit complicated this 'laundering' of money to create schools and concert halls.

Its been fished out of the harbour and will be in the museum soon. Meanwhile Concert Halls, pubs, schools and street names are all changed and the majority still call them by their original names.

Anyways it will continue to simmer and other protests take their place...today's was by moped delivery drivers highlighting the conflict between rival mafia gangs involved in the industry. I shit you not.

The Polish guy in the office reckons we have signed a wonder player in young KK.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely, court verdicts that set precedents in law are based on a judge’s verdict rather than a jury’s which could go either way depending on the whim of the jurors?

The jury found them not guilty, not the judge. Unless you're going to advise us that you aware of the Judges summing up and that he directed the jury to the verdict they gave your wrong.

This case does set a precedent however I'm not arguing that anyone that tries it will always come up with the same result!

D

Deleted member 2719

Good.
Citizens don’t always need to wait for permission by bureaucrats to take action. They didn’t want the statue there, they took it down.

That's also exactly why we left the EU.

The only difference it was done in a proper referendum, not by a bunch of deadheads looking to smash stuff up.

Those four being let off tells you all you need to know about some of the kids on our streets.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Brilliant news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-59727161

There should be no statues of slavers in Britain.
I’m sure Germany has not kept it’s Nazi statutes, this is not about brushing history under the carpet, it’s about not having offensive imagery in people’s faces. Those wishing to admire the statue can do so now it’s in it’s rightful place with other history; the museum (not the bottom of the estuary).

A lesson to local government; if you keep ignoring the people and brushing stuff under the carpet, eventually they’ll take matters into their own hands.

Bravo to the four even if they didn’t do it.

My daughter is a student at Bristol Uni - she was at the demos.

After a hearing a first hand account of what happened and the people who were there - your analogy and the motivation of those involved is totally incorrect.

I will say no more than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

The only difference it was done in a proper referendum, not by a bunch of deadheads looking to smash stuff up.

Those four being let off tells you all you need to know about some of the kids on our streets.

Two of them are in their 30s, and the other two in their 20s. Not exactly kids.

Only you could drag Brexit into the discussion.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My elderly (and far from "woke") mum agreed with statue coming down and that it was long overdue.

That's good enough for me.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I think we have a very different view on these matters. And that’s all good.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Were the jury kids then ?

D

Deleted member 2719

Two of them are in their 30s, and the other two in their 20s. Not exactly kids.

Only you could drag Brexit into the discussion.

They are still young and misguided.

Surely you don't agree with organised vandalism?

I not sure if you have noticed I have hardly said anything on Brexit for 2 years, it's all done and we are moving forward it's only the few that keep harping back to it at every opportunity.
We could bash over the subject for hours, but I don't intend to because I am more than happy at what I voted for and look forward to new growth down the line.

Back on topic do you really believe people can wreck property and get off Scot-free?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here