Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colston Four Cleared

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Brilliant news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-59727161

There should be no statues of slavers in Britain.
I’m sure Germany has not kept it’s Nazi statutes, this is not about brushing history under the carpet, it’s about not having offensive imagery in people’s faces. Those wishing to admire the statue can do so now it’s in it’s rightful place with other history; the museum (not the bottom of the estuary).

A lesson to local government; if you keep ignoring the people and brushing stuff under the carpet, eventually they’ll take matters into their own hands.

Bravo to the four even if they didn’t do it.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Mr Willoughby argued the statue was an "insult".

Appearing in the dock, he said: "Imagine having a Hitler statue in front of a Holocaust survivor - I believe they are similar.

"Having a statue of someone of that calibre in the middle of the city I believe is an insult, and I will continue to believe that whatever the outcome of this."

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case, that is a rubbish analogy - Bristol is not entirely populated by the descendants of slaves.

We need to be reminded of our past, and reminded that what is considered to be obviously wrong now might not necessarily have been considered so in days gone past. If we forget that people can treat other people as a commodity without thought then there is a danger it will happen again.

Last edited:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case, that is a rubbish analogy - Bristol is not not entirely populated by the descendants of slaves.

We need to be reminded of our past, and reminded that what is considered to be obviously wrong now might not necessarily have been considered so in days gone past. If we forget that people can treat other people as a commodity without thought then there is a danger it will happen again.

Second this with sprinkles on top !

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I personally can't see the difference being this statue being pulled down and the same happening to statues of Stalin and Saddam Hussein

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the case, that is a rubbish analogy - Bristol is not not entirely populated by the descendants of slaves.

Not really.

You wouldn't say it;s OK to have a statue of Hitler in a town...well anywhere really. But even less in a town where there are a good number of descendents of Holocaust survivors. Even if not everybody is in that category.

And it's been a central request of the campaigners that children are taught more about the UK's history and involvement in the slave trade. Not having a statue up glorifying one of the traders is not the same as forgetting about it. Quite the opposite.

And finally, the slave trade was justified by those involved, based on lies and myths, but a LOT of people did not accept it as OK when it was happening. It carried on because money talked, not because everyone thought it was fine.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

That’s why museums and libraries exist, not a statue in the middle of town. The Bristolians has asked for it to be moved several times.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Woke judge disagrees with you, so is the Enemy of the People :jester:
I also disagree with you -- there's only so many statues that can be erected, so some churn should be inevitable by that logic -- but welcome that you're aware of the distinction between history and the past :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And before someone pops along to bitch about the outrage of people trying to rewrite history....they weren't. They were binning a statue they had repeatedly asked to have consigned, with damned good reason, to a museum.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Common sense prevails. Correct outcome.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So what you're saying is we need more statues of bad stuff to remind us bad stuff might happen if we're not reminded of the bad stuff enough?

Okaaaaay......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s why museums and libraries exist, not a statue in the middle of town. The Bristolians has asked for it to be moved several times.

This.

But there will no doubt be a usual syspect along in a minute to say 'whatbout pulling down Nelson's column; political correctness gone mad; just vandalism'. I'll get my reply in early doors I think, and my reply is 'do **** off'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So what you're saying is we need more statues of bad stuff to remind us bad stuff might happen if we're not reminded of the bad stuff enough?

Okaaaaay......

My neighbour has erected a statue of Jimmy Savile in our local park to remind everyone that sexual predatory of underage girls is wrong.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My neighbour has erected a statue of Jimmy Savile in our local park to remind everyone that sexual predatory of underage girls is wrong.

Yes yes, but how many of the park inhabitants are actually Savile victims? Surely, there is more likely to be more happy jim’ll fix it badge holders, unless you had been interfered with by the man, you don’t have a right to be offended by him. We thought differently at the time about Jimmy, he was a national treasure who could command an audience with any self respecting politician or royal at the drop of a hat.

And as for his charity work? It wasn’t all bad, he did so many sponsored walks for example, he was a hero to many, especially in Leeds. Why are we trying to cover up our national Savile history, he wasn’t all bad…….was he?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They should have been found guilty because they were but then given a token fine, say 1p.

This now means that anyone can damage anything and justify it based on this case. Yes there were petitions to get rid of the statue but I believe there was also a vote that failed to win a majority. If things are changed just because some petition against it where does it end.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Woke judge disagrees with you, so is the Enemy of the People :jester:
I also disagree with you -- there's only so many statues that can be erected, so some churn should be inevitable by that logic -- but welcome that you're aware of the distinction between history and the past :thumbsup:

Which judge was that then?

Also, can you clarify what is the distinction between history and the past as that escapes me?

Jan 30, 2008
They should have been found guilty because they were but then given a token fine, say 1p.

This now means that anyone can damage anything and justify it based on this case. Yes there were petitions to get rid of the statue but I believe there was also a vote that failed to win a majority. If things are changed just because some petition against it where does it end.

This all day long !

https://youtu.be/7OJP7UwmjE4

One law for them another one for us

Regards
DF

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
Yes yes, but how many of the park inhabitants are actually Savile victims? Surely, there is more likely to be more happy jim’ll fix it badge holders, unless you had been interfered with by the man, you don’t have a right to be offended by him. We thought differently at the time about Jimmy, he was a national treasure who could command an audience with any self respecting politician or royal at the drop of a hat.

And as for his charity work? It wasn’t all bad, he did so many sponsored walks for example, he was a hero to many, especially in Leeds. Why are we trying to cover up our national Savile history, he wasn’t all bad…….was he?

"A giant of a man! A gangster, a villain, a murderer, a paedophile, a gerontophiliac, a rapist...and he still had the panache to come at you with a f***ing cigar! AND host children's shows whenever he got the f***ing opportunity! You've got to admire the audacity of that!"

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
He made his fortune out of shipping tens of thousands of people into slavery including kids. As many as half would have died in transit. If folk want to discuss history then it should have been placed in a museum, as indeed should all colonial statues, especially of slave traders. It's not re-writing history, it's creating history.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here