Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] I felt powerless - So I started filming’: one-man battle with dangerous drivers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Why are we wasting our time with this when he isn't a striker?

We have 3 strikers (4 if you include Ferguson as a first teamer), you may as well start reading more interesting stuff like this rather than spending all January waiting for no-one to arrive. If anything the OP is providing a public service

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I reckon if I drive around London in a car I could catch loads of cyclists cycling through
red lights, cycling on the pavement and cycling down one way streets. Amongst many other
crimes. I agree with what the bloke is doing to an extent, but wish there were more
sensible cyclists around too who obeyed the rules.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So it took four posts for the "but cyclists are bad too!" to happen.

Personally given the choice I'd be hit by a bike than a car.

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
I reckon if I drive around London in a car I could catch loads of cyclists cycling through
red lights, cycling on the pavement and cycling down one way streets. Amongst many other
crimes. I agree with what the bloke is doing to an extent, but wish there were more

Cyclists on London roads are the absolute worst! Loads have no regard for the Highway Code at all. Trying to drive over Westminster bridge at rush hour is terrifying because of the cyclist plague jockeying for position.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Oh come on. Why does it need to be ‘them vs us’?
The VAST majority of both bicycle accidents AND casualties are caused by dangerous vehicle drivers. That’s an absolute fact.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

As a pedestrian, I'd quite like to walk on the pavement without being hit by a bike.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Its 6 of 1.

I agree completely on London cyclists. As a regular pedestrian in the city, I often wonder why they don't use bells and red lights may as well not exist.

But cars are just as bad as we see here.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Cyclists on London roads are the absolute worst! Loads have no regard for the Highway Code at all. Trying to drive over Westminster bridge at rush hour is terrifying because of the cyclist plague jockeying for position.

They have just as much right to be in the road as motorised vehicles.
If you’re a considerate driver 99.9% of cyclists shouldn’t be any concern to you beyond reminding you to slow down, give more room and be considerate of EVERYONE using the road.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

think how bad the traffic would be if they were all in cars! GRIDLOCK!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is, he adds, a wider motivation: “I just like to think that with the power of one I’m trying to change a little bit of road safety. Most people who cycle realise that bad driving is largely tolerated by society. It’s not considered a really serious thing. Yet it’s claiming 1,800 people’s lives a year in the UK alone, and 27,000 are seriously injured. That’s a quite serious toll, isn’t it?

Bloody cyclists making car drivers kill 1,800 mothers, father, sons and daughters every year.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Depends how fast they're going.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56320121

I had a think about [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]'s original post, wondering whether this vendetta amounts to stalking. My conclusion is, no, it's a public service. If I had more time on my hands I might be tempted to do the same (or at least set up a decent dash cam - the number of goons I see doing 35 (it is 20 everywhere in Faversham) with a phone held to their ear as they bounce over the traffic calmers, here, is disturbing).

If we want whataboutery, what about Jimmy Savile and Jeremy Corbyn? Eh? ???

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
They have just as much right to be in the road as motorised vehicles.
If you’re a considerate driver 99.9% of cyclists shouldn’t be any concern to you beyond reminding you to slow down, give more room and be considerate of EVERYONE using the road.

In central London it’s a rarity that cyclists aren’t running red lights putting pedestrians and other vehicles at risk. Then there are the weekend hoardes that think riding 2 or 3 abreast at 10-15mph is a good idea hogging the whole road. The worst.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Whilst I actually commend what he's doing he's surely undermining himself by wearing dark clothes and no safety helmet. If you're going to do something like this then you need to be faultless.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Oh come on. Why does it need to be ‘them vs us’?
The VAST majority of both bicycle accidents AND casualties are caused by dangerous vehicle drivers. That’s an absolute fact.

It shouldn't be "us" vs "them", agree on that. As a road user on both 4 and 2 wheels (motorised though), I absolutely 100% agree with the new Highway Code provisions that introduce the concept of a hierarchy of responsibility where the bigger your vehicle, the more responsible you are for ensuring your use of the roads is safe and does not put others at risk. I also agree with the new guidance for cyclists that suggests they use the centre of the lane where they don't have a dedicated cycle lane, which helps enforce drivers behind giving space.

I also, however, 100% agree with the concept that *all* road users should do so in accordance with the rules. While they are a minority, there are still too many cyclists who play fast and loose with the rules and in doing so put both themselves and others in danger. Just because cyclists are "less dangerous" than cars / trucks, and "more likely to be the victim than the cause", does not give them a right to ignore red lights or any of the other dodgy things some cyclists do (like transitioning to/from road and pavement pretending to be a pedestrian when it suits them, then road user again). Quite often those antics create confusion in the drivers around them, which can in turn lead to escalated danger of something untoward happening.

The responsibility to use the roads safely lies with *all* users of the roads, and the rules for using the roads have been put in place as a best effort attempt to enforce safe use of the roads. *Any* person (whether that be pedestrian, cyclist, or driver) who breaks the rules creates unnecessary additional risk / danger and no one who calls that out as wrong should be made to feel like they've done the wrong thing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

At least cars generally give you the option of staying safe when you're walking on the pavement!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here