Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southampton supposedly being bought for £100m

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dragan Solak sounds like a character from Game of Thrones.

Is this their belated attempt to match their great rivals (the twatts) and find their own Milan Mandarić? ???

I wish them equally well. Great club

:facepalm:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Doesn't sound much ? I thought generally the value of a PL football club was £200M+ ? I think Burnley were bought for £170M-£200m ish right?

Seemingly based on debts and presumably taking on those liabilities as well

Last edited:

Presumably they have some substantial debts??

Calling #dullard

Yup you'd think the Enterprise Value figure must be higher

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Chinese real estate bloke... probably broke and desperate to sell.

New guy appears to own a couple of TV channels in Serbia, Bulgaria etc... probably not going to invest Saudi levels of money.

He doesn't seem flavour of the month with the Serbian government so could be a clever attempt to get some of his assets out of Dodge City and raise his international profile by helping out charitable causes

EV is £200-250m, which is apparantly average for clubs in the middle bit of the Prem, guess we wouldn't be too far away from that then

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Presumably they have some substantial debts??

Calling #dullard

You rang?

67EF01D7-0DA2-46BD-9E43-8AB5B0AB03EF.jpeg

They took out a big loan from MSD at 9% interest so that is included in the deal.

It’s the equivalent of buying someone’s house for £200k but as part of the agreement taking on their mortgage of £100k and paying them £100k. The value of the house is the sum of the two amounts.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Hmmm. Despite my total dislike of that club, I do worry about the future for them. Whilst the media have been saying how well run they are for years and I’ve read on here numerous times that they are a club we should aspire to, they really haven’t been well run for a long time and their highly praised acadamy has not produced real quality for some time. And I say this as someone with a son in their system.

This new buyer really doesn’t sound that attractive and the type we’ve seen many times in recent years when we’ve questioned how they pass the fit and proper test when it all goes wrong. As mentioned above, it does smell a bit Pompey.

As much as I despise them, I would not want them to fall too far as moments like Trossard’s winner and Maupay’s equaliser are just too precious to me!

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The outgoing chairman Mr Jishengs a Chinese billionaire property magnet was vey quick to seal this deal for a cut price £100 million ( WHU just recently sold for £700 million)

I assume Southampton must either have colossal debts or that Mr Jishengs property businesses back home are in big trouble and he needs cash fast having said that over the past six months a huge Chinese construction company Evergrande with a £222 billion turn over have been unable to meet their loan repayments quite likely some link between the two

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
You rang?

View attachment 143404

They took out a big loan from MSD at 9% interest so that is included in the deal.

It’s the equivalent of buying someone’s house for £200k but as part of the agreement taking on their mortgage of £100k and paying them £100k. The value of the house is the sum of the two amounts.

9%! Bloody hell.

That is an unreal rate - especially considering when they took it out. What's it secured on? Can't be St Mary's at that level.

No wonder he wants to sell....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
9%! Bloody hell.

That is an unreal rate - especially considering when they took it out. What's it secured on? Can't be St Mary's at that level.

That's the first thing that struck me.......at that kind of rate you'd almost think the money was lent by someone trying to make/take ££££ out of the club rather than a negotiated commercial bank loan :eek::eek:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's the first thing that struck me.......at that kind of rate you'd almost think the money was lent by someone trying to make/take ££££ out of the club rather than a negotiated commercial bank loan :eek::eek:

Surely no club would be silly enough to do that, 😀 unless of course someone within the club stood to gain. In the normal world such a conflict of interest would have to be declared however in the shady world of football it’s seen as a right!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
9%! Bloody hell.

I'd say that is quite a fair market rate given the risk. It's quasi equity at that level with no prospect of being repaid without the sale of the business or replacement investment from internal or external investors.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Surely no club would be silly enough to do that, 😀 unless of course someone within the club stood to gain. In the normal world such a conflict of interest would have to be declared however in the shady world of football it’s seen as a right!

Um, yes. That's what I was implying :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
MSD is Michael Dell right ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here