Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh god - incoming.

The Classless Crew will be all over this.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Interesting reason for retirement according to Wiki - On 4 January 2021 Pröpper announced his retirement from professional football, citing a lack of motivation and a discomfort with the current football culture.

Might explain a lot for his drop out of contention for selection last season..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wow - not often you see things like that. Would have been easy for him to steal a wage and not put the effort in. But you don't know what else is going on with him or whatever kind of mental health problems he might have going on.

Sadly under Potter he didn't seem himself for whatever reason. Classy player though

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Very sad, obviously having some heavy stuff to deal with.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Life is short.

Do things you want to do, not things you don't want to do.

I appreciate that choice isn't open to everyone.

Good luck Davy.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This is pretty damning on the state of the game: "I had hoped to rediscover the joy in playing football but it was not to be, as I don’t feel comfortable in the world of football. I don’t want to be part of it any longer."

Shame though, I thought he was a good and, at times, great player for us. He was probably our first real "statement signing" after promotion and for a while under Hughton, the Pröpper/Stephens midfield was the real anchor in our midfield. It's fair to say that he played a critical part in establishing us in the Premier League (if you ever are truly established).

Best of luck to him. Hope he finds his passion elsewhere

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"When I was abroad, I gradually lost the love for the game." Not exactly a ringing endorsement for BHAFC :eek:

Good luck and respect to him for coming to that decision and not seeing out his contract. Gotta look after yourself – especially in these crazy times...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
"When I was abroad, I gradually lost the love for the game." Not exactly a ringing endorsement for BHAFC :eek:

Good luck and respect to him for coming to that decision and not seeing out his contract. Gotta look after yourself – especially in these crazy times...

I don’t think it’s about BHAFC.

The fact going back to PSV hasn’t changed it tells me it’s about him and what makes him happy rather than it being a specific club or group of people.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I would love to be able to quit working too so this guy I understand. Why billionaires still go to work is a mystery to me.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Very honest interview, and further proof that not all players play football and enjoy it. At least he has been honest enough to admit it!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Thank you Davy and good luck.

--

Davy Pröpper has announced his retirement from football. The 30-year-old midfielder had one-and-a-half years left on his contract with PSV, which has been terminated by mutual agreement. “I made the final decision to call time on my playing career before Christmas and it feels like a relief. That’s why I know I’ve made the right choice.”

Davy Pröpper returned to PSV last summer after spending four years in England with Brighton. “When I was abroad, I gradually lost the love for the game. It was difficult for me to observe the discipline needed to perform at my best and have my life ruled by a hectic football schedule. And the coronavirus crisis and the lack of visits from relatives and friends haven’t done me any good, either.’

The midfielder was consequently happy to be given an opportunity to ply his trade with PSV in the Netherlands again. “I’m grateful the club has made me feel welcome. I had hoped to rediscover the joy in playing football but it was not to be, as I don’t feel comfortable in the world of football. I don’t want to be part of it any longer.”

The 30-year-old will carefully consider his future in the next eighteen months. “I will take time to discover what my interests are and what I will take up. Of course I had my fair share of beautiful moments which I will cherish. We will see whether I will miss football but I’m ready to focus on new things. I want to thank my family, relatives and friends for all the support they’ve given me. Now the time has come to invest in them.”

John de Jong, PSV Director of Football, regrets Davy Pröpper’s decision. “We had obviously hoped Davy would play his part in achieving successes with PSV, but I appreciate his honesty, to himself and to the club. PSV are grateful for what he has done for the club in all those years, and for winning the Eredivisie title with PSV in 2016.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here