Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our best eleven

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
So, everyone is fit and before any acquisitions, I would love to know what everyone's best 11 is. I had no difficulty with 9 (and admit it is biased on Argie Mac's current form). My biggest dilemma was centre back. Dunk, Webster, Veltman, BDB and Duffy. All have been immense. 2 form 5 is so difficult. Perhaps a 3.

Anyway, here goes with a back 4

Sanchez
Lamptey, Dunk, Webster, Cuccarella
Mwepu, Bissouma, Mac Allister
Trossard, Welbeck, Maupay.

With a back 5, I would bring in BDB for Argie Mac but so difficult and Veltman was my player of the season last season!!!!!!!
Who would want to be Potter?!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So, everyone is fit and before any acquisitions, I would love to know what everyone's best 11 is. I had no difficulty with 9 (and admit it is biased on Argie Mac's current form). My biggest dilemma was centre back. Dunk, Webster, Veltman, BDB and Duffy. All have been immense. 2 form 5 is so difficult. Perhaps a 3.

Sanchez

With a back 5, I would bring in BDB for Argie Mac but so difficult and Veltman was my player of the season last season!!!!!!!

We haven’t got one.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Sanchez

How would you play Trossard, Welbeck and Maupay?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Sanchez
Lamptey - Dunk - Webster - Cucurella
Bissouma - Lallana
AlexMac - Trossard
Welbeck - Maupay

It’s hard to nail it down because our formation is so fluid but the 4-2-2-2 really worked wonders yesterday.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
As above. Our best 11 IS Sanchez, Lamptey, Dunk, Webster, Cucurella, Biss, Lallana, Mac, Tross, Welbz, Maupay. But it’s not necessarily our best team.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Sanchez
Lamptey - Dunk - Webster - Cucurella
Bissouma - Lallana
AlexMac - Trossard
Welbeck - Maupay

It’s hard to nail it down because our formation is so fluid but the 4-2-2-2 really worked wonders yesterday.

Agree completely with this. Lallana has to be in there, him and Welbeck so influential despite their age, can't wait for them both to be back on the pitch at the same time more frequently & hope it will last!

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
Depends who we’re playing :shrug:

Exactly this.

I was thinking about starting a similar thread yesterday but then got thinking about the opposition we would be playing, would they sit deep and play on the counterattack? Are they possession based team? Do we need to man mark their flair player?

Too many variables but IMO and based on the 7 points we have just won, it seems GP knows the answer!

UTA

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sanchez

Yes, except trouble is I wouldn't want to leave out Moder, BDB, Veltman, Lallana, March or Mwepu either!

.......... and I want to see the likes of Richards, Roberts, Ferguson and (when fit again) Sarmiento sooner rather than later ..................

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We haven’t got one.

I love the way I can spin this both ways.

The reason why the team doesn't win is because it's full of like-minded and similar valued players.
The reason why the team is hard to pick is because it's full of like-minded and similar valued players.

:lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We discussed this recently. I pointed out that the concept of 'best 11' no longer applies. Can't be arsed to dig out the thread or post.

In any case, it won't be a good eleven until will have bought a proven 20-goals-a-season striker that everyone has heard of, at a reasonable price. What is wrong with our recruitment team? Ashworth OUT!!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We discussed this recently. I pointed out that the concept of 'best 11' no longer applies. Can't be arsed to dig out the thread or post.

In any case, it won't be a good eleven until will have bought a proven 20-goals-a-season striker that everyone has heard of, at a reasonable price. What is wrong with our recruitment team? Ashworth OUT!!!

But he has to be able to hold up (like Murray) and deadly (like Lineker) and quick (like Ronaldo - not that one :rolleyes:) and can hit a ball (like van Basten) and .............

It's simple. we just need a 17 year old Pele. It's obvious what we need, why they can't just get on with it :shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
But he has to be able to hold up (like Murray) and deadly (like Lineker) and quick (like Ronaldo - not that one :rolleyes:) and can hit a ball (like van Basten) and .............

It's simple. we just need a 17 year old Pele. It's obvious what we need, why they can't just get on with it :shrug:

That’s plain stupid. We sign him and send him out on loan doh

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Agree completely with this. Lallana has to be in there, him and Welbeck so influential despite their age, can't wait for them both to be back on the pitch at the same time more frequently & hope it will last!

But it is one of the great footballing mysteries how such a technically gifted player like Lallana can be such a poor finisher. The same can be said of Biss but he is more DM than AL.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
This. For example, when we played Villa, Veltman had Grealish in his back pocket but I'm not so sure Lamptey would have done the same. In other games Lamptey is the better option.

If fit, I'd always play them both.
Tariq is so much better with JV behind him

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If fit, I'd always play them both.
Tariq is so much better with JV behind him

Yes, another reason this is such a complex thing.
You could argue our best centre back partnership is Dunk and Duffy but clearly Webster is a better all rounder than Duffy. Partnerships, or little groups, are so important. Something Potter seems particularly good at is creating real my strong units all over the field. You could also argue our best front two would be Tross and Welbz (on pure ability) but you simply can’t leave Maupay out because he gives so much more than simply goals and seems to utterly understand what Potter wants from his team.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
But it is one of the great footballing mysteries how such a technically gifted player like Lallana can be such a poor finisher. The same can be said of Biss but he is more DM than AL.
Great finish against Everton though....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here