Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Big Mac In swinger. I'm loving it.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Just wanted to say how refreshing it is to see in swinging corners being delivered with whip and with pace. If Alexis keeps playing and keeps taking them then I expect to see us score more from this set play, plus the odd scrappy, scrambled goal(ref that other thread on scrappy goals) as they will inevitably cause carnage in the oppositions six yard box. don't mind the odd floaty out swinger for " the train" to run onto but we used it too repetitively and most teams soon worked us out,(other than Leicester). :rock::rock::rock:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
You look at the goal we scored from the corner, that is the same type of corner Gross and Moder try. The difference yesterday was Everton are shit at corners and the first man was Mwepu. It seems we have a tactic on corners for aiming at the first man and hoping we get the flick. None of the corners really seem that different.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You look at the goal we scored from the corner, that is the same type of corner Gross and Moder try. The difference yesterday was Everton are shit at corners and the first man was Mwepu. It seems we have a tactic on corners for aiming at the first man and hoping we get the flick. None of the corners really seem that different.

Agree with this (partially at least).

Getting the ball to the near post is usually the most dangerous thing you can do on corners. When players "cant get it over the first defender" it might look silly but in reality they are just 20-30 cm from getting it where they want, past the first defender but not straight to the goalie. There is a very fine margin between hitting a dangerous corner and one that looks silly. The corner goal yesterday was one Mwepu run from "boo, cant even get it past the first defender".

That said, Ali Mac has a very accurate strike on the ball and sometimes that will make the difference. I like his set pieces and he should take most of them when he is playing.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere

If your going to compare Moder's delivery to Mac's I would suggest taking another look at the recent games he took the corners. Shocking is the word your looking for.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Mwepu had a man in front of him and a man behind him, exactly what you need to prevent a flick on header, but the man in front moved away as the corner came in, absolutely gifting the chance to flick on. Very poor from Everton.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If your going to compare Moder's delivery to Mac's I would suggest taking another look at the recent games he took the corners. Shocking is the word your looking for.

The weird thing is that after we signed him I watched a few Poland goals and Moder was taking most of their set pieces ... and looked the part. ...anyway, he's only 22, Mac just turned 23 and Mwepu was 24 on New Year's day. Top recruiting :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with this (partially at least).

Getting the ball to the near post is usually the most dangerous thing you can do on corners. When players "cant get it over the first defender" it might look silly but in reality they are just 20-30 cm from getting it where they want, past the first defender but not straight to the goalie. There is a very fine margin between hitting a dangerous corner and one that looks silly. The corner goal yesterday was one Mwepu run from "boo, cant even get it past the first defender".

That said, Ali Mac has a very accurate strike on the ball and sometimes that will make the difference. I like his set pieces and he should take most of them when he is playing.

:lolol::lolol: That's always the football fan narrative though isn't it.....'awful penalty, couldn't even it the goal' (reality - like JCL yesterday for example is he was probably only about 20cm higher than he was aiming)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I notice that we have been taking these 'flatter' corners (can't even clear the first man/absolutely brilliant :wink:) ever since we don't have Dunk, Duffy and Webster on the pitch. Probably just coincidence, but as with all things in life, a bit of variety keeps it interesting :thumbsup:

Jimmy Grimble

Mwepu had a man in front of him and a man behind him, exactly what you need to prevent a flick on header, but the man in front moved away as the corner came in, absolutely gifting the chance to flick on. Very poor from Everton.

We have been trying that near post flick for a while now so it was good to see it finally work but it really is atrocious defending from Allan. He turns and watches it drift by his head. Macallister actually put better corners in than that one later on. Goes to show that to score from a set piece you are often reliant on the opposition making an error.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here