Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] For the love of God...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
...can we please have a proper crack at the FA Cup now?

We are safe as houses now, and this is the best squad we've ever had. If we can't give it a real go starting at the Hawthorns, when exactly IS the right season to do so?

Please Mr Potter - you're a fine manager with your head screwed on - please please please don't put out a second string next week. Play to win, and keep the momentum you've generated.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

We are safe as houses now, and this is the best squad we've ever had. If we can't give it a real go starting at the Hawthorns, when exactly IS the right season to do so?

Please Mr Potter - you're a fine manager with your head screwed on - please please please don't put out a second string next week. Play to win, and keep the momentum you've generated.

Last season Potter , unlike the EFL cup, played Newport and Blackpool with nobody who wasn’t either a first team or bench regular…
Even the bench only had 1-2 u23s
He will rotate his squad next week but it seems fanciful to think it’s going to be “second string” .

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I think a full squad,.. played Sunday,.. 2 days off, back to training, competitive cup match on Saturday followed by a clear 6 days to rest and train before the saarrf Laandon caravan arrives.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I might be in a minority here, in fact I’m sure I am but the magic of the FA cup has gone for me. I used to love drawing one of the big guns but these days I’d rather avoid them :shrug:

The OP does have a point though, I think we can afford to field a strong if not full strength side

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I might be in a minority here, in fact I’m sure I am but the magic of the FA cup has gone for me. I used to love drawing one of the big guns but these days I’d rather avoid them :shrug:

The OP does have a point though, I think we can afford to field a strong if not full strength side

Of course we'd rather avoid them thesedays; we're in the same league as them! In the lower leagues you have no chance of winning the competition, so reaching the 3rd round and drawing a big gun away from home was great for the fans and club in terms of a big payday. This season we realistically have a chance of going far - even winning it; we've shown over the last few seasons we can compete with and beat the big boys on our day. We have an excellent squad at the moment.

We're never going to win the league, so if we don't have a go at winning one of the cups in a season where we would have to spectacularly implode to be drawn into a relegation fight, then what's the point?! We have no proper silverwear to our name - youre telling me you wouldn't feel the magic of the cup if we reached the final (and especially if we won it)?!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

But.

If we go on a cup run to say the semis, I for one would be super excited for the magic of the cup. We are safe and I wouldn’t expect many on here to be telling GP to rest Bissouma because we have a nothing middle of the table league game the following week.

Totally agree with the OP - nothing to lose……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Agree with the OP. We should go all out to try and win the FA Cup this season(covid cases permitting). If we were able to pull off this somewhat dream scenario, then Europa League qualification would be fabulous.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But.

If we go on a cup run to say the semis, I for one would be super excited for the magic of the cup. We are safe and I wouldn’t expect many on here to be telling GP to rest Bissouma because we have a nothing middle of the table league game the following week.

Totally agree with the OP - nothing to lose……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1/4 finals and yes, yes I would get excited :smile:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I agree but I would rest our 3 or so players that tend to get injured easily.
That's not resting them it's protecting them from being out for a considerable time.
I don't think we are going to do it but seeking into that last European slot is still a possibility and as much as I still like the cup to get into Europe would be unbelievable.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The FA cup is bad luck to teams who aren't top 6. Teams who get to the semi finals have a bad season, finalists have a terrible season the year after as do the winners. Portsmouth had financial troubles, Wigan got relegated that year. Stoke had to be Stoke. Hull went down the season after, Villa went down the season after, Palace had to have Pardew. Watford went down the season after.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agree with the OP. We should go all out to try and win the FA Cup this season(covid cases permitting). If we were able to pull off this somewhat dream scenario, then Europa League qualification would be fabulous.

Shouldn't be THAT difficult seeing as how we sort of drifted into the semi-final t'other season :moo:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It has (to an extent) for most of us I suspect, but when we're right in the hunt it is a very different feeling.

I just don't like the fact we've never won a major trophy in my lifetime. Wigan have, Luton have, Portsmouth have. I want this club to win a proper trophy before I die.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Why wouldnt he?

GP loves the FA Cup, he is like a child on Christmas whenever it comes along and last year went for it.

There may be one, two or three players who has had limited game time but will no doubt be a strong team.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I love watching our “second” team in the cups.
It’s not like it’s massively inferior. We have a batch of very good reserve players who want minutes.

el punal

It has (to an extent) for most of us I suspect, but when we're right in the hunt it is a very different feeling.

I just don't like the fact we've never won a major trophy in my lifetime. Wigan have, Luton have, Portsmouth have. I want this club to win a proper trophy before I die.

Come on! We were Champions of England in 1910 - what can match that? :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here