Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How few points to stay up

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Just seen that Leeds win today leaves the bottom 3 on 10/11 points and Watford on 13 points. Is it really possible for 2 of them to get C30 points to meet the magical 40 or will say c32points be enough? If so we only need 5 points from 19 games

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’d rather concentrate on “can we get into Europe” :wink:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It’s reckoned 9 wins is usually enough to stay up. Manchester United currently have 9 wins and 31 points. So yes, I agree 30 will be the number to aim for to avoid a bottom 3 finish.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What I would say is that the situation isn't hopeless for any of those 4 teams. Whoever wins the mini league stays up. I don't see anyone else dropping into trouble.

It could be as low as 27 with a non catastrophic GD is enough (Incredibly we may have enough already). The matches between them will be huge

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
3 more wins to stay up. 19 games to play.

And to think some absolute divs STILL want Potter sacked. And all because they don’t understand modern football, and how the game has moved on. Thank Christ we aren’t owned by some of the owners in the league who have no long term plan and would have panicked and pulled the trigger.

Looking forward to the next Potter Out thread when we dare to lose a couple of games on the trot again, in the most competitive league on the planet (in which we are two places outside the top 6).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Please let Leeds get dragged in as well

Sadly either they have enough or the bottom 4 are just too gash for them to have to sweat like Prince Andrew flying a Sea King.

However, a continued dismal season should be enough to shut up their cocky fans who thought they’d murderball their way to becoming a top 6 fixture. At times they play like a primary school team.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Sadly either they have enough or the bottom 4 are just too gash for them to have to sweat like Prince Andrew flying a Sea King.

However, a continued dismal season should be enough to shut up their cocky fans who thought they’d murderball their way to becoming a top 6 fixture. At times they play like a primary school team.

Bielsa signed a 1 year contract extension last summer because he was pleased with 9th last season and thought he could improve them further this season. He has recently given an interview (I saw quotes on my google feed but not the full interview) where he said his methods no longer seem to be working and he is very disappointed. He will surely leave at the end of the season, if not fired before.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think safety is 30 points this year - maybe less.

In fact we *might* already be safe !

Norwich are down. Watford and Burnley in deep, deep trouble now. Newcastle? Well it would be nice but surely they'll buy enough points to finish above those 3.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Of course, reality is you only need the same points but a better GD than whoever finishes 18th.

Burnley 11pts GD -11
Newcastle 10 pts GD -23
Norwich 10pts GD -34

I can’t see any of them getting near 30 points (although Burnley have only played 17 and who knows who Newcastle might acquire in January).

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
3 more wins to stay up. 19 games to play.

And to think some absolute divs STILL want Potter sacked. And all because they don’t understand modern football, and how the game has moved on. Thank Christ we aren’t owned by some of the owners in the league who have no long term plan and would have panicked and pulled the trigger.

Looking forward to the next Potter Out thread when we dare to lose a couple of games on the trot again, in the most competitive league on the planet (in which we are two places outside the top 6).

Drawing a few on the trot is enough!! :lolol:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Managers and pundits say 40 points is the target but I think I'm right in saying in the current format of twenty sides in the Premier only West Ham have been relegated on 40 points. A more realistic target is thirty five points.
Looking at the current bottom three I can't see Norwich or Burnley gaining our current tally simply because they don't win games, draws aren't going to be enough for them.
Unlike me but being positive what is the target for the lower European competitions? Is it seventh or eighth for Europe?
Listen to me no longer the voice of doom.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Managers and pundits say 40 points is the target but I think I'm right in saying in the current format of twenty sides in the Premier only West Ham have been relegated on 40 points. A more realistic target is thirty five points.
Looking at the current bottom three I can't see Norwich or Burnley gaining our current tally simply because they don't win games, draws aren't going to be enough for them.
Unlike me but being positive what is the target for the lower European competitions? Is it seventh or eighth for Europe?
Listen to me no longer the voice of doom.

Apart from West Ham who got relegated with 42 in 02-03. Sunderland 96-97 and Bolton 97-98 both got relegated with 40 points. The highest total for a relegated side since then was 39 points by Birmingham in 10-11.

Regarding Europe, only the top 5 league places are guaranteed European football. 1st-4th Champions League, 5th Europa League. 6th and 7th have a chance of qualifying for Europa League and UEFA Conference League if the FA Cup winners and or the League Cup winners have already qualified for Europe through their league placing or the same side wins both cup competitions.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We are probably safe already but certainly with two more wins.

If you're on 11 points at halfway you need to double that tally in the second half of the season just to get to 33. Norwich won't. Burnley won't. Newcastle almost certainly won't.

The joker in the pack is Watford who are on an appalling run, I reckon it's three from those four already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here