Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it a penalty or did Everton get lucky?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m sure I’ve seen plenty of those shoulder to shoulder style challenges in the penalty area waved away by refs this season, however, we’ve given away a few.

I don’t think this was a penalty today in the current climate but would have been one last season. Thanks to DCL for missing the spot kick, a very rare thing against the Albion.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I’m sure I’ve seen plenty of those shoulder to shoulder style challenges in the penalty area waved away by refs this season, however, we’ve given away a few.

I don’t think this was a penalty today in the current climate but would have been one last season. Thanks to DCL for missing the spot kick, a very rare thing against the Albion.

There is shoulder to shoulder and shoulder to shoulder.

I always judge them by "would that have knocked me over in a supermarket" ?

.. and that one probably would have done.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Was a pen all day IMO. We would have been lucky if it was turned down.

DCL must have agreed anyway and nice for him to return the ball to us.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Shoulder-to-shoulder; fine

Shoulder-to-back, with no attempt to play the ball; penalty all day long.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It is a penalty but it is a ridiculous punishment for what happened. Not sure what the answer is but I don't think penalties are fit for purpose when a handball on the line results in the same outcome (obviously minus the red) as pushing someone on the edge of the box when they are heading towards the corner flag. Twas ever thus though.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
It looked slightly more towards the back to me than shoulder to shoulder. I wasn't surprised it was given once it was called for review.
An unecessary challenge in my opinion.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It was a penalty, bit needless from Mwepu as well.

Never mind though.

2-3

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

A soft pen for me also. As long as refs are consistent over the season we might get a soft one, hopefully against palarse.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Without VAR, we would have got away with it. Ref missed it. It was a pen.

It was a little frantic in the build up, but what was the MP computer thinking? Was he buffering?

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
In real time it looked to me as shoulder to shoulder and no penalty. Slow motion play back showed shoulder in the back and definite penalty. Stupid challenge and no need for it when the other player had his back to goal and was moving away. Anyway, loved the subsequent miss.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It is a penalty but it is a ridiculous punishment for what happened. Not sure what the answer is but I don't think penalties are fit for purpose when a handball on the line results in the same outcome (obviously minus the red) as pushing someone on the edge of the box when they are heading towards the corner flag. Twas ever thus though.

Saved me from writing the same.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yes it was a penalty but didn’t look a huge amount in it.

Although I’m sure there’s not many people who would have been able to stand on their feet with Mewpu charging into the back of them. No homo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here