Date: Sunday 2nd January 2022
Kick-off: 14:00 GMT
Referee: John Brooks
Assistants: Lee Betts, James Mainwaring
Fourth Official: Jonathan Moss
VAR: Stuart Attwell
Additional VAR: Simon Bennett

TEAM NEWS

Everton forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin is expected to make his first appearance since August after recovering from thigh and toe injuries.

Manager Rafael Benitez would not clarify how many players are still ruled out after three successive fixture postponements because of Covid-19 cases and injuries.

Leandro Trossard missed Brighton's draw at Chelsea because of hamstring tightness but is fit to play.

Captain Lewis Dunk remains out.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have never won away against Everton in nine attempts in all competitions, losing all four Premier League trips.
    [*=left]Everton won the reverse fixture 2-0 in August and are looking to secure their first league double over Brighton since 1980-81.
Everton

• [*=left]Everton have lost their first league game in each of the past four calendar years. They haven't fared worse since losing seven in a row between 1957 and 1963.
    [*=left]Rafael Benitez's side have only won once in 11 league matches since the start of October (D3, L7). It's the worst top-flight record across October, November and December in the club's history.
    [*=left]Nineteen points is Everton's lowest top-flight tally at the turn of the year if all seasons are recalculated to three points for a win.
    [*=left]Everton have scored a league-high 76% of their goals in the second half of games this season. Their tally of five goals before half-time is the joint lowest in the division.
    [*=left]Dominic Calvert-Lewin has scored in three of his past four Premier League appearances against Brighton.
Albion

• [*=left]Albion have drawn six of their past seven away league fixtures this season, with the team's solitary defeat on the road in 2021-22 coming at Aston Villa in November.
    [*=left]They have earned a league-high five points this season through goals scored in the 90th minute or stoppage time.
    [*=left]Brighton have lost their first league game of a calendar year in just one of the past 12 seasons, at home to Wolves in the Championship in 2016.
    [*=left]The Seagulls are unbeaten in all five Premier League matches versus London opposition this season, winning two and drawing three.
    [*=left]Neal Maupay has scored 25 Premier League goals for Brighton, one shy of Glenn Murray's club record haul.
    [*=left]Yves Bissouma is poised to become the seventh player to make 100 Premier League appearances for Brighton.

Graham Potter's Everton Press Conference

[tweet]1477625780586831873[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/1477625780586831873

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The Seagulls are unbeaten in all five Premier League matches versus London opposition this season, winning two and drawing three.

Useful information when playing a Merseyside team.

Think we have one of the best chances of getting 3 points out of Goodison we've ever had.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shame it’ll have to be a dodgy stream but looking forward to it

I found it interesting that GP said that they worked on the body language as part of our resilience in the late comebacks.

Love the fact that he takes whatever comes without whinging too, clearly rubbing off on the players. The only time I recall seeing him irritated is at media questions.

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
“Everton have lost their first league game in each of the past four calendar years. “
That’s a good omen , I’ll take it....
Come on we can do this, if we keep the momentum going from Wednesday night .
:albion2:
It will be radio for me with Warren and JC , at least there will be no grumbles about a biased commentary.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is it just me who has never heard of the ref? Is he good or should we prepare to boooooo?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
A ground where we never look like getting anything, let's hope we can put that to bed today.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Sorry if mentioned elsewhere but is Bissouma available for this game? Poised to make his 100th appearance according to BBC, but shown as unavailable on fantasy football " training with Mali".

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lallana, Veltman & Maupay all a booking away from missing palace.

The Duffman 30 yesterday.
Back at Goodison today.
If he plays...

...he scores.

License to print money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it just me who has never heard of the ref? Is he good or should we prepare to boooooo?

31 years old. (So younger than half of Utd's squad)
Second EPL game, previously refereed Wolves v Bumley.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I think it’s just Anfield where we’ve taken an away point from one of the big 4 north west clubs since promotion to EPL. Damn, Calvert-Lewin’s back. Richarlisson a bit of a nemesis too.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sorry if mentioned elsewhere but is Bissouma available for this game? Poised to make his 100th appearance according to BBC, but shown as unavailable on fantasy football " training with Mali".

Delayed departure for AFCON
Leaves after this match.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
Shame it’ll have to be a dodgy stream but looking forward to it

I found it interesting that GP said that they worked on the body language as part of our resilience in the late comebacks.

Love the fact that he takes whatever comes without whinging too, clearly rubbing off on the players. The only time I recall seeing him irritated is at media questions.

We have had several late comebacks and late goals this season, and it's becoming increasingly unlikely they all happened by chance or coincidence.

Do you, or anyone else know what GP meant by working on the body language? What have they done differently to be more resilient in the late comebacks?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have had several late comebacks and late goals this season, and it's becoming increasingly unlikely they all happened by chance or coincidence.

Do you, or anyone else know what GP meant by working on the body language? What have they done differently to be more resilient in the late comebacks?

Heads down and a defeated look can only encourage the opposition and their fans? I do not have a degree in emotional intelligence (in truth I hardly understand what it even means) though so just a guess :smile: We very seldom look resigned after we concede, Villa apart where heads definitely went down when we conceded the first imo

I guess he has them believing that conceding first is not a catastrophe. Do you remember when it was obvious once we went behind that is was unlikely we were coming back.

Stat I heard during the Brentford game was also interesting, we have not lost a game this season where we took the lead.

There is clearly something is this emotional intelligence guff :lolol:

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
I see Naylor tweeted the same thing but a few replies seem to think his info is wrong and that the cut off point has been and gone or has already been reset?

Needs to be 19 games then it’s reset, as we have had couple of postponements they are still valid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here