Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Environmentally friendly household products

Has anyone had experiences of these please?

Interested to learn ot views on such things as bamboo based loo paper and cleaning products in tablet form for rehydrating and use in refillable spray guns?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Interested to learn ot views on such things as bamboo based loo paper and cleaning products in tablet form for rehydrating and use in refillable spray guns?

A bit but they are generally crap. However, they are so many things lying around that are brilliant at cleaning. Vinegar for windows for example.

I have one original wooden floor in this Victorian place, well it was THE FLOOR when I moved in. The rest I replaced myself because they were ****ed.

I've waxed it over time and during the first lock down tried to sand and re-stain. Wax was stopping the stain and making sanding impossible.

Tried all sorts and finally found some cheap vinegar with lemon juice on the internet sold in gallons. Smelt like a chip shop in here for a couple of days but did the job.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

Bamboo paper is good - who gives a crap are a good company and deliver. I do buy cleaning products etc from the ethical superstore. As with most things look at the reviews. They are not as good as the chemical caustic alternatives but y’know, that’s the pay off.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I bought a steam cleaner recently and it does a brilliant job of replacing spray bottles and chemicals. Can't be used for everything but works really well.

Still uses power though so until I get my solar panels installed I am using grid power.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Welcome to Mumsnet :lolol:

Ecover - for many, many years we spent a small fortune on their stuff. My conclusion, borne out also by Which? testing, is:
Washing laundry liquid - is simply poor at cleaning stains etc.
Fabric conditioner - good.
Washing up liquid - weak, you end up using far more.
Dishwasher tablets - poor.

Method cleaning products (widely available) - are excellent. According to Mrs.W.

Last edited:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Mrs D7 ordered environmental friendly bog roll - can’t wait until we’ve finished the box so we can go back to nice soft stuff such as Andrex / Cushelle.

We do use ecover washing up liquid and it’s good

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Mrs D7 ordered environmental friendly bog roll - can’t wait until we’ve finished the box so we can go back to nice soft stuff such as Andrex / Cushelle.

We do use ecover washing up liquid and it’s good

bog.jpg

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
We use Ocean Saver capsules for cleaning products and been very happy with them. No need for plastic packaging, and no transportation of unnecessary water obviously. The kitchen cleaners I've used are just as good as other products I've tried. https://www.ocean-saver.com/

Also been happy with Method products, though they come with water included and in plastic bottles so presumably less environmentally friendly (but still better than standard brands)

We've also been using refills for washing up liquid and hand soap from a zero waste store near us - think the brand is SESI, they do the job just as well as any other, but you do obviously need to have a store nearby that you can get refills from.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Vinegar, lemon juice, bicarbonate of soda and hot water will pretty much clean anything in the right combinations and measures.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have used some of the products of this BHill based company, and been happy. Generally for janitorial use rather than domestic so bigger bottles than you might want, but I split stuff with my neighbour. http://bio-productions.com/

I use the Citra Clean product a lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here