Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] not sure what arsenal are moaning about

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I never expected to hear “forensics” used to make decisions in football matches :shrug:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Looks like a penalty to me :shrug:

Screenshot_20220101-144939_Relay Pro.png

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I can see why it was given but surely, With VAR, arsenal had more of a shout for a penalty than City.
Also, Pathetic dive by Silva.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
This debate is itself evidence enough that they do have cause to complain. Even with VAR, and having seen it again, opinion is divided. For me that's too soft to be a pen. It's not like he ripped the shirt off his back, and he was flopping down in the standard 'I've been shot' fashion that's so familiar now. Ref was also quick to card Arsenal players and less so for City players. On top of all that, the result, which City can hardly argue they deserved, does the so-called title race no favours whatsoever.

Thought Arsenal were unfortunate. They're an example of how sticking with a plan through a lot of noise about the manager can pay off - or at least look like it's going to at the moment. The red was idiocy pure and simple, though. Booked for scuffing up the penalty spot, FFS.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thing is if he doesn’t go over they won’t even look. We can rail against diving all we like but if the player tries to stay on their feet they never get the decision. Look at Martin Montoya against Palace a couple of years back.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This debate is itself evidence enough that they do have cause to complain. Even with VAR, and having seen it again, opinion is divided. For me that's too soft to be a pen. It's not like he ripped the shirt off his back, and he was flopping down in the standard 'I've been shot' fashion that's so familiar now. Ref was also quick to card Arsenal players and less so for City players. On top of all that, the result, which City can hardly argue they deserved, does the so-called title race no favours whatsoever.

Thought Arsenal were unfortunate. They're an example of how sticking with a plan through a lot of noise about the manager can pay off - or at least look like it's going to at the moment. The red was idiocy pure and simple, though. Booked for scuffing up the penalty spot, FFS.

there is a growing swell of discontent amongst Liverpool fans that the title is being put on a plate for citeh , i'm not sure either way but i do know i think iv'e had enough of citeh for the time being , i know there's a lot of emotion and testosterone involved admittedly but i thought they were a bit classless today.

just hope we can **** em up this season some how i'd rather the scousers win it to be honest.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Completely subjective. Could go either way but if the defender doesn’t want to concede a penalty he shouldn’t pull the City players shirt. No-one forced him to do it and it is against the rules.

Rules?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Their legs didn't actually touch, did they? However, he pulled on his shirt, triggering the swallow dive and, therefore, the penalty was deserved, as it was Xhaka. Gabriel should have punched Silva's lights out after the second yellow though, as just desserts for the dive.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
The laughable thing is, in real time, without VAR, the Ref just tells him to get up, doesn't even consider it to be a foul.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Both penalties.
Yes Bernardo Silva puts in an added dive for good measure which doesn't look good but clearly tripped and pull on the shirt.
Ederson gets Odegaard's foot not the ball so also a pen.
VAR should've referred them both.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No, it's a horrendous decision. Diving should not be rewarded - if he had stayed on his feet there would not be any discussion at all. There will be contact like that between defenders and attackers on the box many times in every match

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No, it's a horrendous decision. Diving should not be rewarded - if he had stayed on his feet there would not be any discussion at all. There will be contact like that between defenders and attackers on the box many times in every match

Biggest game changer is the fight against cheating would be if refs start giving pens when players stay on their feet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here