Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2022

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Barbarian
It was certainly something. I liked the sudden changes in direction/tone. Not convinced the ending worked for me. I can't decide if I liked it or I think it was ridiculous.
I often use your reviews to inform my cinema viewing, I have a limitless subscription so I can take a punt here and there. So now I’m intrigued, will I like it or find it ridiculous?
Watch this space….

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Barbarian
It was certainly something. I liked the sudden changes in direction/tone. Not convinced the ending worked for me. I can't decide if I liked it or I think it was ridiculous.
I felt exactly the same.
It started off very promising but like most horror/thrillers, it descended into the ridiculous which took something away from it.

Also watched Smile the other day. Again, started really well, was actually quite a creepy film and then the last 20mins or so was just stupid.

I'd be way happier if people took a leaf out of the book of the Blair Witch Project. You never see anything in that film, it keeps the suspense and you have to use your imagination instead of being spoon fed stupid looking monsters.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I often use your reviews to inform my cinema viewing, I have a limitless subscription so I can take a punt here and there. So now I’m intrigued, will I like it or find it ridiculous?
Watch this space….
I've seend it get some decent reviews from people who live and work in the world of film and film review. It's a horror movie with a physical bad (i.e. it's not "elevated horror") and some times it's some people can really go with the ridiculousness with that type of film. So it's possible you could enjoy it. I don't know that I would be confident enough to suggest you watch it if it is a burden (limited time, other films on your list to watch that would need to be sacrificed for it), but if you're at a loose end I think you might enjoy at least some of it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If you think you might like 'Weird: The Al Yankovic Story' you probably will.

I didn't think I would and did.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
If you think you might like 'Weird: The Al Yankovic Story' you probably will.

I didn't think I would and did.
I started watching it withy Mrs the other night but turned it off after about 20mins.
Turns out I had made the mistake of thinking my Mrs had a sense of humour. Schoolboy error.
I'll watch it on my own.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Watcher
An American woman moves to Bucharest where she is often alone while her husband settles into his new job. She notices what she thinks is a man watching her from an apartment across the road. There is also serial killer active in town...

This is very low key and deliberately paced/slow. It lets the story and main character drive a general feeling of unease and paranoia, a creeping dread. There aren't any cheap scares or jump, I guess it kinda felt indie/European or at least didn't feel like it was the sort of film that had a lot of interference from a studio trying to pander to a wide audience.

I think I liked it enough. I did feel like the neding was not well chosen - it needed a bit of an explainer, but had they done that it would have been an exposition dump just before the credits, so perhaps another ending would have been better. I think that I picked up on some hints earlier in the movie, and have crafter my own explanation, but I don't know if that was just me making it up.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Watcher
An American woman moves to Bucharest where she is often alone while her husband settles into his new job. She notices what she thinks is a man watching her from an apartment across the road. There is also serial killer active in town...

This is very low key and deliberately paced/slow. It lets the story and main character drive a general feeling of unease and paranoia, a creeping dread. There aren't any cheap scares or jump, I guess it kinda felt indie/European or at least didn't feel like it was the sort of film that had a lot of interference from a studio trying to pander to a wide audience.

I think I liked it enough. I did feel like the neding was not well chosen - it needed a bit of an explainer, but had they done that it would have been an exposition dump just before the credits, so perhaps another ending would have been better. I think that I picked up on some hints earlier in the movie, and have crafter my own explanation, but I don't know if that was just me making it up.
I saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I didn't find the end unclear but maybe that was just me... I really liked Maika Monroe's depiction of her growing sense of paranoia and fear, and Burn Gorman was very effective in his role. I liked the lack of background music through much of it - silence can be very effective in films like this. It's the sort of film which won't get huge attention, which I think is a bit of a shame.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw it this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I didn't find the end unclear but maybe that was just me... I really liked Maika Monroe's depiction of her growing sense of paranoia and fear, and Burn Gorman was very effective in his role. I liked the lack of background music through much of it - silence can be very effective in films like this. It's the sort of film which won't get huge attention, which I think is a bit of a shame.
I'm not sure if unclear is the right way of explaining it, but I was trying not to spoil it.

I was thinking the whole feigning death thing. I may be reading too much into and over complicating it, but it seemed there was a passing reference to her previously being an actor before moving to Bucharest, and the idea that her death was a performance (despite the quite large pool of blood under her body, she seemed to be quite unharmed when we see her after she shoots the watcher). It felt like the death was so convincing that her recovery and heroic end could read like a studio note ("the ending is too much of a downer, have her recover and shoot him!"), and like they could have had a 'guess my acting came in handy, eh' moment to explain it, but that would seem silly at the end of the film. Or I could be reading too much, and it could simply be the studio had a 'give it a happy ending' note. I was also curious about whether he was 'the spider' or coincidentally another killer, why some were decapitated and others not, what happened next - did the police accept him as the bad guy, or was she still seen as an aggressor? Did their relationship survive now that a) she had evidence she was not paranoid, and b) the issue of her being watched was over and that stress on the relationship removed? What happened to the guys career after his wife embarassed him in front of the boss, etc.

I tend to enjoy movies that don't draw attention to the fact they are movies by overdoing the special effects and incidental music/soundtrack. So I liked that aspect, too. I described Gorman to a friend as a Romanian Crispin Glover.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I'm not sure if unclear is the right way of explaining it, but I was trying not to spoil it.
Absolutely - I tend to use a thread like this to assess if generally a film is worth checking out, and hate reading spoilers inadvertently. Of course, key spoilers you tend to be unerringly drawn to, either hearing or seeing, especially the more you want to avoid them. The new Spoiler feature is FAB and I do concur with a number of your points. Often it is a sign of a decent film that you think about it afterwards...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Black Panther - Wakanda Forever
It feels like Marvel peaked with the Infinity War/Endgame double-bill. I wouldn't say they are in decline, but the quality of recent films, while decent enough, is a clear level or two below their best. I don't know if that is because they are focused on lower level heroes, or becuase they're in a holding pattern while they move pieces into position for the next round of Avengers movies.

This is, I think, one of the better entries in 'phase 4', It leans heavily into processing the loss of T'challa, even if it initially seems like they acknowledge it at the start then move on. It was more in line with Eternals than other phase 4 movies, with an emphasis on character and story that always seems a little unfulflling in a comic book movie, though better for a movie. Until the end when you get the big CGI battle, which itself feels out of place in the character study.

I did leave the cinema with a feeling of 'that will probably resonate with other people a lot more than it did me'

Also, there was a short extra scene very early in the credits, then no other additional scene. So, if you're used to staying to the very end of marvel movie credits, you don't have to with this one.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just finished watching Amsterdam.

The cast is astonishing, Margot Robbie, Christian Bale, Michael Shannon, Zoe Saldana, Robert De Niro, Anya Taylor-Joy, Mike Myers, Taylor Swift, Rami Malek, Chris Rock, and yet it is the most long winded, boring film I've seen for a very long time.
There is so much dialogue that you'll switch off time and time again because 90% of it is pointless filler that bears no relevance to anything.
I was really looking forward to this film but I found it bland and uneventful.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Smile this afternoon - pleasantly surprised that it is still on at the cinema. The trailer gives a hint at what to expect but a lot more LOUD jumps than I was expecting. More graphic than I was expecting, too. There were a few couples in the cinema who seemed less comfortable with it than I was, including a couple who seemed to give the occasional running commentary ("She likes her white wine" was one clear corker I heard). Enjoyed the film (not a classic, but better than a number of films of this sort of genre) but could have done with the playback being slightly quieter!

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Watched 'Terrifier 2' last night.

Has gotten a lot of praise and things also saying goriest movie ever, etc etc.

I thought it was like tons of other horror movies I have seen in the past, nothing special. Will give a warning though: If you get nauseated easily, stay away.

5/10.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
On that there Thursday just gone i grabbed the last sort of free Mubi ticket night for No Bears. It has felt an age since seeing something of quality and this was it, for me. It spilt from the screen, a little as the director's son's film did a few months ago, with the news of the director, Jafar Panahi, being handed a six year sentence in Iran. His last films have been about the system banning him from making films, so in doing so looks to create narratives as a film-maker, whilst highlighting the oppressive state that stops him doing so. In this he plays himself as the director from a distance, directing via video chats to the cast and crew, from a small village only a few miles from the border, from his escape. So what we see are his attempts to make a realistic film from afar, whilst being confronted by the traditions of the village he stays in - the latter being slightly mirthful, but also crushing and unchangeable, and horribly restrictive of Panahi's time to create. It said of his life, his career, of him, of Iran, of observing and absorbing, of being a film maker.
It felt so rich in its tragic intentions, and so agonising to know that he and other directors are imprisoned now in Iran.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Menu
We mainly follow Anya Taylor Joy and her companion Nicholas Hoult who are attending an very exclusive, incredibly expensive fine dining experience, from highly regarded chef Ralph Fiennes, who has a very special dinner planned. There's a lot of (intentional) fun to be had at the expense of the pretentious, high faluting talk of the dinner guests.

The trailer hints at something like The Hunt, Ready or Not of the Ice T/Rutger Hauer starring 90s classic Surving the Game, but it doesn't go in that direction.

I really liked it. I look forward to watching it again, but not sure when that would be. Though a couple I overheard as I left seemed to not really know what to make of the film.

Confess, Fletch
Chevy Chase made a couple of Fletch movies in the 80s, the first was based on a book, the second was an original script. This film is based on the second Fletch book, so is kind of sequel to those films, with Jon Hamm (from mad men) taking on the title role. This time Fletch is caught up in a muder case and wants to try to solve it, but doesn't really have the investigative chops for the job.

This almost felt like a throwback to the murder investigation comedy/action capers of the 80s and early 90s. It took a while for me to get into it. I only really remember seeing the trailer for the Chevy Chase ones, so I didn't watch as a particular fan of the originals (or the books they are based on). It was fun enough, but I don't have much of a sense that I will want to watch it again in a rush.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
The Menu
We mainly follow Anya Taylor Joy and her companion Nicholas Hoult who are attending an very exclusive, incredibly expensive fine dining experience, from highly regarded chef Ralph Fiennes, who has a very special dinner planned. There's a lot of (intentional) fun to be had at the expense of the pretentious, high faluting talk of the dinner guests.

The trailer hints at something like The Hunt, Ready or Not of the Ice T/Rutger Hauer starring 90s classic Surving the Game, but it doesn't go in that direction.

I really liked it. I look forward to watching it again, but not sure when that would be. Though a couple I overheard as I left seemed to not really know what to make of the film.

Confess, Fletch
Chevy Chase made a couple of Fletch movies in the 80s, the first was based on a book, the second was an original script. This film is based on the second Fletch book, so is kind of sequel to those films, with Jon Hamm (from mad men) taking on the title role. This time Fletch is caught up in a muder case and wants to try to solve it, but doesn't really have the investigative chops for the job.

This almost felt like a throwback to the murder investigation comedy/action capers of the 80s and early 90s. It took a while for me to get into it. I only really remember seeing the trailer for the Chevy Chase ones, so I didn't watch as a particular fan of the originals (or the books they are based on). It was fun enough, but I don't have much of a sense that I will want to watch it again in a rush.

Thanks for this - got tickets for both booked for this week (Tuesday and Thursday) and looks like going to see Black Panther with the kids on Saturday, so a cinematastic week for me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here