Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 25 Man Squad - January 2022 window

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And we're off...

Awaiting confirmation of Connolly to Boro, and incoming Kacper Kozlowski to Albion and then (probably) out to USG
Ostigard is also back, injured , but awaiting new loan.
Other possibles - loans for Richards and/or Roberts and some talk of cutting short Mitoma loan to USG now that he has enough international points and future of Andone at Cadiz seems up in the air.

Window closes: Monday Jan 31st midnight.

1. Sanchez ( HGP )
2. Steele ( HGP )
U21. Scherpen
U21. Lamptey
3. March ( HGP )
4. Cucurella
5. Veltman
6. Burn ( HGP )
7. Webster ( HGP )
8. Dunk ( HGP )
9. Duffy ( HGP )
U21. Roberts
10. Băluţa
11. Mwepu
12. Bissouma
13. Moder
14. Alzate ( HGP )
15. Lallana ( HGP )
16. Groß
17. Mac Allister
U21. Richards
U21. Sarmiento
18. Trossard
19. Maupay
20. Welbeck ( HGP )
U21. Connolly
U21. Ferguson
21. Locadia
22. Østigård (injured. awaiting new loan)

Loanees: Bull (Merstham), Jenks (Aberdeen), Cochrane (Hearts), Longman (Hull City), Weir (Cambridge United), Clarke (WBA), Rushworth (Walsall), Arce (LDU Quito), Mitoma (USG), Andone (Cadiz)*, Molumby (WBA)*, Karbownik (Olympiacos)*, Van Hecke (Blackburn), Zeqiri (FC Augsburg), Walton (Ipswich), Khadra (Blackburn) , Sima (Stoke City), Caicedo ( Beerschot), Dendoncker (St Johnstone)

*Loan to buy option

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Other possibles - loans for Richards and/or Roberts.

There are a few more possibilities for loans.

If the lesser spotted Băluţa is fit again, I think a loan is more suitable than our U23s or sitting on our bench?

Also - Cadiz are desperately trying to return Andone according to reports, surely he’ll be straight back out on loan if we can’t flog him? I’d add Locadia to the outgoing list too, I think Potter made a tiny tiny hint to it in the recent Argus article, by not ruling it out, he is leaving the door open for Big Jurg’s departure for his final 6 months of contract.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Confirmed...Connolly to Boro.

Window closes: Monday Jan 31st midnight.

1. Sanchez ( HGP )
2. Steele ( HGP )
U21. Scherpen
U21. Lamptey
3. March ( HGP )
4. Cucurella
5. Veltman
6. Burn ( HGP )
7. Webster ( HGP )
8. Dunk ( HGP )
9. Duffy ( HGP )
U21. Roberts
10. Băluţa
11. Mwepu
12. Bissouma
13. Moder
14. Alzate ( HGP )
15. Lallana ( HGP )
16. Groß
17. Mac Allister
U21. Richards
U21. Sarmiento
18. Trossard
19. Maupay
20. Welbeck ( HGP )
U21. Ferguson
21. Locadia
22. Østigård (injured. awaiting new loan)

Loanees: Bull (Merstham), Jenks (Aberdeen), Cochrane (Hearts), Longman (Hull City), Weir (Cambridge United), Clarke (WBA), Rushworth (Walsall), Arce (LDU Quito), Mitoma (USG), Andone (Cadiz)*, Molumby (WBA)*, Karbownik (Olympiacos)*, Van Hecke (Blackburn), Zeqiri (FC Augsburg), Walton (Ipswich), Khadra (Blackburn) , Sima (Stoke City), Caicedo ( Beerschot), Dendoncker (St Johnstone), Connolly (Boro)

*Loan to buy option

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whilst a new loan for Østigård seems likely, I suspect we will wait until the end of the window to sign it off - and he will be Covid cover for January.

Loans out for Richards, Roberts and Scherpen could also be considered. If Scherpen goes we'll likely need a short term replacement in the squad.

Locadia and Băluţa will be on the 'for sale' list and both can now sign pre-contracts with overseas clubs.

The squad is looking good though - I can't see many additions this month.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Whilst a new loan for Østigård seems likely, I suspect we will wait until the end of the window to sign it off - and he will be Covid cover for January.

I don't think Ostigard will be used as cover. If he plays for us then he'll be unable to move on loan again due to players only being able to play for two clubs in one season. Seems unlikely we'd risk one or two games before he's back on the bench or not even in the squad against another half season in the Championship.

It's the same rule that would prevent Sima being recalled to play as he's already played for Slavia Prague and Stoke. The rule was relaxed for last season to allow players to play for three clubs in a season, but it's back to two this season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Poor old Baluta. He looked a cracking prospect in that youth international cup but it really hasn’t happened for him. Being interesting to see what we do with him- I wouldn’t be against a Champ loan because there’s a decent player inside there.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Poor old Baluta. He looked a cracking prospect in that youth international cup but it really hasn’t happened for him. Being interesting to see what we do with him- I wouldn’t be against a Champ loan because there’s a decent player inside there.

Baluta is out of contract in the summer, unless we have an option to extend I expect we will be looking to move him on in this window to try and get at least a nominal transfer fee for him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
[Tweet]1476604105183440898[/Tweet]

Basically 3 clubs in Romania want Băluţa and that a free transfer is the speculation.

He can sign a pre-agreement at any point with an overseas club which would take things out of albion's hands and he just sees out his contract here.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[Tweet]1476604105183440898[/Tweet]

Basically 3 clubs in Romania want Băluţa and that a free transfer is the speculation.

He can sign a pre-agreement at any point with an overseas club which would take things out of albion's hands and he just sees out his contract here.

Or just lets him leave now for nothing, no reason not to.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dendonker's loan has been cut short and he's returned to Brighton.
Maybe out to a Championship side next?

Doubt it. The Championship is on a much higher level than the SPL and if Dendoncker struggles to get into St Johnstone then I cant see him getting any play time for a Championship team.

League One/Two or Belgium/Holland would be my guess.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Doubt it. The Championship is on a much higher level than the SPL and if Dendoncker struggles to get into St Johnstone then I cant see him getting any play time for a Championship team.

That’s not how football works though, there could be many reasons he didn’t play much at St Johnstone as everyone hoped. We’ve seen plenty of players fail at one club for whatever reason then excel at another club at a higher level. He made their squad most weeks so the manager obviously had some trust in him as a player or he wouldn’t have even made the bench. Being in a side struggling side at any level is tough on a young player. Put him in a better team and he may well excel being guided along by better quality players.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That’s not how football works though, there could be many reasons he didn’t play much at St Johnstone as everyone hoped. We’ve seen plenty of players fail at one club for whatever reason then excel at another club at a higher level. He made their squad most weeks so the manager obviously had some trust in him as a player or he wouldn’t have even made the bench. Being in a side struggling side at any level is tough on a young player. Put him in a better team and he may well excel being guided along by better quality players.

Sure, not saying he couldnt be decent for a Championship team. From what I've seen, probably not ready for that, but could be different in a different environment. What I struggle to see is how many Championship sides would be interested in sacrificing one of their loans on a player who struggled in Scotland.

My guess is that we'll not see him in the Championship this spring.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Sure, not saying he couldnt be decent for a Championship team. From what I've seen, probably not ready for that, but could be different in a different environment. What I struggle to see is how many Championship sides would be interested in sacrificing one of their loans on a player who struggled in Scotland.

My guess is that we'll not see him in the Championship this spring.

There is no limit on the number of loan players a championship club can have at any one time. The only rule is a maximum of 5 loan players can be named in a match day squad. The only other limit is a maximum of 4 loan players from an individual club in a season.

That said I think after a disappointing stint in Scotland some regular football with our U23s may help his confidence before we reassess in the summer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Lower end Championship not unreasonable - best staying in a British football envirinment now rather than abroad (that's probably why he was placed where he was). Leaving aside your particular views on the level of the SPL, the SPL certainly provides a different challenge for a young player than the EFL. Granted young Dendoncker looked pretty lost against Celtic the only time I've seen St.J (on the tele) this season - but TBF, so did the rest of the team! He got no help from any of them.

The Championship may be at a slightly higher level, but he would get a lot more help and support from the players around him to enable him to have a better chance of reaching the required standard. Having said that, half a season in League 1 wouldn't do him any harm either.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Derby is the club to go to...a massive ask for them to stay up this season with their huge points deduction but a great opportunity for a player to make a name for themselves if they help them achieve the Great escape.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here