Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Assistance required - wfh - extra screen

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hi

I only trust NSCers with this type of thing.

I have a single hdmi port laptop but now have a second extra monitor. What do I need in terms of an adapter to have different stuff on each screen?

Ideally an 'I use this and it works' will feature in the replies.

Cheers all and happy new year.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hi

I have a single hdmi port laptop but now have a second extra monitor. What do I need in terms of an adapter to have different stuff on each screen?

Has it got a USB C port ?

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What make/model of laptop? Hdmi can only output a single image so although a splitter would work you’d get the same image on each screen. You’d need two hdmi ports for two monitors acting as separate screens.

Has your laptop got any other outputs? It’s possible with newer laptops to use usb c for video output or there could be an older d-sub connection. That’s why it would be useful to know what the exact model is.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Some (older) laptops also have a vga output that you can use at the same time as the hdmi or you can get usb to dvi/vga converters too - not great for video but fine if you are just writing/coding.

Main problem I had when running 3 screens from my laptop is that the fan got worn out but that was probably specific to my laptop :-(

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Hi

G

What ports have you got free on your laptop? If you have a USB C you can get a dongle that does HDMI and gives you some extra USB ports too.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks chaps

Its a nearly 2 year old acer aspire 3 with:

1 x hdmi
3 x usb

And a funny phone line cable port with a flap to open.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
If you do have a usb-c port, I bought one of these recently for exactly that purpose and it seems to work fine for the hdmi and usb - so I have two monitors connected to my laptop, one in the laptop hdmi and one in the adaptor, effectively giving me three split displays, then a couple of other devices in the usb ports. I have found it struggles if I also plug something in to the charging port in the adaptor, but that could be my laptop rather than the adaptor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Tuwejia-Multiport-Connector-Compatible/dp/B08L4G72MQ

Last edited:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Thanks chaps

1 x hdmi
3 x usb

When you say 3x usb - do you have a smaller rounded one (usb-c, you might also use this as a charger) or just the standard large usb ports (usb-a)?
istockphoto-1272283545-612x612.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you're on Windows, you need a program that splits the screens into separate work spaces for you.

I found it once on another thread on here. I'll have another look.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Thanks chaps

1 x hdmi
3 x usb

It doesn't look like it has USB-C according to the specs I can find online. It appears to show 2 x USB 3.1 and 1 USB 2 port. Unfortunately that means you'll only be able to use 1 external monitor as the HDMI signal cannot transmit two different images.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It doesn't look like it has USB-C according to the specs I can find online. It appears to show 2 x USB 3.1 and 1 USB 2 port. Unfortunately that means you'll only be able to use 1 external monitor as the HDMI signal cannot transmit two different images.

That was my fear.

I can 'put this bed' now knowing that if you fellas couldn't solve it, nobody could.

Many thanks for all the replies.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Hi

I can 'put this bed' now knowing that if you fellas couldn't solve it, nobody could.

Hold yer damn horses fella!

Assuming you already are using the existing HMDI port to connect to your first extra monitor - and you currenty have 1 laptop screen + 1 external monitor.
You are now wanting to add a 3rd screen (2nd extra monitor)?

If that is correct, you can buy a USB to HDMI adapter (Amazon, or PC World etc), and connect a new monitor to your laptop that way.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Hold yer damn horses fella!

Assuming you already are using the existing HMDI port to connect to your first extra monitor - and you currenty have 1 laptop screen + 1 external monitor.
You are now wanting to add a 3rd screen (2nd extra monitor)?

If that is correct, you can buy a USB to HDMI adapter (Amazon, or PC World etc), and connect a new monitor to your laptop that way.

He doesn't have usb-c, while usb-a can be used for video, I've never found it to be any good, bandwidth is far too low to run anything above word or excel on a monitor connected via usb-a, and even then it's patchy. I've never seen it used beyond an emergency work around in over 25 years of commercial IT experience. USB 3.0 may work better but the bandwidth is over half as much less than HDMI for video throughput. But you are losing a port that may be required for other functions for a not very good video experience.

That won't solve the issue that he doesn't have usb-c and usb a doesn't have the bandwidth to support anything beyond very basic video processes. i certainly wouldn't recommend spending what that costs without having the usb-c connection.

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
He doesn't have usb-c, while usb-a can be used for video, I've never found it to be any good, bandwidth is far too low to run anything above word or excel on a monitor connected via usb-a, and even then it's patchy. I've never seen it used beyond an emergency work around in over 25 years of commercial IT experience. USB 3.0 may work better but the bandwidth is over half as much less than HDMI for video throughput. But you are losing a port that may be required for other functions for a not very good video experience.

It's certainly not ideal, and I don't know what kind of work the OP does.
But having a USB 3.0 or above USB to HDMI can work for basic word, data entry, email etc in a pinch eh.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
PM me and I will send you what you need. You will need an extra VGA ca le tho and I've plenty of them if you need..

You can have them for free.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
It's certainly not ideal, and I don't know what kind of work the OP does.
But having a USB 3.0 or above USB to HDMI can work for basic word, data entry, email etc in a pinch eh.

Certainly works in a pinch, but with huge limitations. It's not something I'd want to spend too much money making work, the cost of the adapter posted above certainly wouldn't be a cost effective solution. You'd probably find that it's not actually worth the effort of having an extra screen when you have to be selective on what you can use it for.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a home office and looking at monitor options. My surface laptop can power two external monitors either via usb-c or via a dock. The only problem is the dock is under-powered and doesn't pass through enough power to keep the laptop battery from draining when processing power is required which defeats the object of having an all in one dock, but losing the usb-c isn't appealing when it comes to data transfer etc. I know you can get a multi port adapter but then you are fighting for bandwidth between video and data transfer etc. There is always something to trip you up when it comes to IT.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

That won't solve the issue that he doesn't have usb-c and usb a doesn't have the bandwidth to support anything beyond very basic video processes. i certainly wouldn't recommend spending what that costs without having the usb-c connection.

If he is just using the second screen with notes on to use the other screen as the main one it might work...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here