Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lukaku not happy at Chelsea

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
This illustrates how risky it is to sign players for huge amounts of money even if you are the European champions !

Chelsea fans this morning mostly want him to leave - what a turn around in 24 hours !

Striker Romelu Lukaku, who returned to Chelsea for a club record £97.5m in August, was "not happy" with his bit-part role under Blues boss Thomas Tuchel earlier this season.

The 28-year-old also told Sky Sport Italia - in an interview recorded several weeks ago but aired on Thursday - that he wanted to go back to Inter Milan in the near future.

"I'm not happy with the situation, this is normal," said Lukaku at the time. "But I am a worker and I must not give up."

The Belgian has scored seven goals in 18 club appearances since he re-joined Chelsea this summer. He has also been hampered by injury and illness and, at times, found himself left out of the starting line-up when fit.

However, Lukaku has had a recent upturn in form, scoring in his last two Premier League appearances, after discussions about his role with Tuchel.

"I think I needed a performance like this today. The manager has his reasons but I kept working hard," Lukaku said after scoring in the 3-1 win over Aston Villa on 26 December.

"It's a good win and personally for me I'm happy. Balls from crosses and the movement in the box - I try to be less static."

Lukaku first signed for Chelsea in 2011 as an 18-year-old from Anderlecht, but struggled to break into the first team at Stamford Bridge, eventually leaving for successful stints at West Brom and Everton and a less convincing two-season spell at Manchester United.

His move to Inter Milan in August 2019 was a huge success, however, as he scored 64 goals in 95 appearances and helped the Nerazzurri end an 11-year wait for a Serie A title.

"I want to say a big apology to the Inter fans because I think the way I left should have been different," he added in his Sky Sport Italia interview.

"I really hope in the depths of my heart to return to Inter, not at the end of my career, but at a still good level to hopefully win more."

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can I suggest a ban for the first person who says "it". :dunky:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Is the crucial bit of this not that he was unhappy? As the article says, the interview was recorded several weeks ago when RL was in the midst of injury and illness.

Bit of a non-story, IMO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This illustrates how risky it is to sign players for huge amounts of money even if you are the European champions !
How exactly?

Lukaku's fee and wages are a drop in the ocean.

If Chelsea wanted to 'cash in' someone would pay a big price for him.
If Chelsea wanted to appease him they would offload Tuchel.
That in turn would cost a drop in the drop in the ocean.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ask yourself, would you be happy playing for that sour faced, moaning, deluded, defeatist, bad loser?

Attitude in all businesses starts from the top, no wonder Chelsea are now in disarray with the way he’s been behaving recently.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ask yourself, would you be happy playing for that sour faced, moaning, deluded, defeatist, bad loser?

Attitude in all businesses starts from the top, no wonder Chelsea are now in disarray with the way he’s been behaving recently.

This!

Your manager whingeing on about the "impossible" situation they find themselves in, will transfer to the players and gives them an excuse for poor performance.

Pep and Klopp both make sure they praise their players for managing to excel in "impossible" situations. They keep pressure on the authorities without demotivating their players.
Tuchel has much to learn, just comes across as a sulky teenager in comparison.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is the crucial bit of this not that he was unhappy? As the article says, the interview was recorded several weeks ago when RL was in the midst of injury and illness.

Bit of a non-story, IMO.

Exactly that. I thought it was very odd how much coverage the story was getting, considering it was ages ago. Obviously a slow (sports) news day.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m not sure anyone can know whether or not Chelsea fans ‘mostly want him to leave.’ If the source is one of their forums I would take that as being about as representative of most Chelsea fans as NSC is of most BHA fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here