Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When will all the postponed games be played?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Not sure when all the extra games will be fitted in- are we looking at then all being bunched towards the back end of the season?

I wondered if they could reconsider the ‘winter break’ 23 January - 7 Feb to get some Prem fixtures done then, but some non-European players will be away on international duty (including Afcon) so no doubt that would lead to some wingeing from the likes of Klopp.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Gonna need to ask UEFA to allow games during European weeks I reckon

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Replays have been cancelled for the 3rd and 4th rounds of the FA Cup, so you would expect that those 2 midweeks will have games re-scheduled to them, need to be announced sharpish though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Could help with spurs game I guess. Won't work for united though.

I think there is a UEFA ruling that top flight leagues can't play in the same week as CL / EL matches

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
There's a decent article in The Athletic which explains various options.

Here's the link to the full article:

https://theathletic.com/3037067/2021/12/27/explained-how-and-when-the-premier-league-will-reschedule-its-postponed-fixtures/

A snippet from it that mentions possible dates is below:

There are two free spaces in the current calendar with no domestic cup or European football scheduled.

Midweek of the week commencing Monday, April 18
Midweek of the week commencing Monday, May 9

But that’s not enough space…
Correct. It’s not. And so the Premier League is going to have to get creative…
The easiest teams to accommodate will be those who lose in the FA Cup third round and who are not still participating in the Carabao Cup, now down to its final four, and have no European obligations to worry about. Those sides will be able to make up fixtures over the coming midweeks, with FA Cup replays scrapped for this season to free up extra dates.
But it will be more complicated to reschedule matches for Chelsea, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and West Ham United, who are through to the knockout phases of the Champions League, Europa League or Europa Conference League. Opportunities for those six to play additional midweek Premier League fixtures on the dates below will only open up as and when they are eliminated from Europe and/or the domestic cups (Chelsea and Liverpool are still in the Carabao Cup).
Midweek of w/c January 10
Midweek of w/c January 17
Midweek of w/c January 24
Midweek w/c January 31 (but only if the winter break is scrapped)
Midweek w/c February 14 (Champions League/Europa Conference League)
Midweek of w/c February 21 (Champions League/Europa Conference League)
Midweek of w/c February 28
Midweek of w/c March 7 (Champions League/Europa League/Europa Conference League)
Midweek of w/c March 14 (Champions League/Europa League/Europa Conference League)
Midweek of w/c April 4 (Champions League/Europa League/Europa Conference League)
Midweek of w/c April 11 (Champions League/Europa League/Europa Conference League)
Midweek of w/c April 25 (Champions League/Europa League/Europa Conference League)
Midweek of w/c May 2 (Champions League/Europa League/Europa Conference League)
Midweek of w/c May 16 (Europa League final)
Midweek of w/c May 23 (Europa Conference League final)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think there is a UEFA ruling that top flight leagues can't play in the same week as CL / EL matches

According to this article the blanket ban on top flight games taking place at the same time ended in March 2017.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39458057.amp

There is something in the UEFA rules saying games cannot take place within 50km, on the same day of a Champions League etc match, but I believe that only applies to other European games rather domestic games as well. Obviously police would prevent certain teams games taking place at the same time and priority then would go to the European matches.

Last season when Liverpool were playing RB Leipzig in the CL, Man City played Southampton in the PL. Leeds vs Southampton also took place at the same time as Champions League games.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The free FA Cup 4th round weekend could be very useful for any PL teams knocked out in round 3 :

Relevant :

West Brom v BHAFC
Tottenham v Morecambe
Man Utd v Villa

If our U23s lose to West Brom :fishing: then a trip to Man Utd for the postponed PL game on 4th round weekend isn't impossible.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The free FA Cup 4th round weekend could be very useful for any PL teams knocked out in round 3 :

Relevant :

West Brom v BHAFC
Tottenham v Morecambe
Man Utd v Villa

If our U23s lose to West Brom :fishing: then a trip to Man Utd for the postponed PL game on 4th round weekend isn't impossible.

Chelsea v Chesterfield as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here