Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How do you know when a goal has been given?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Bear with me here but i always understood that it was by the ref blowing the whistle and pointing or signaling to wards the centre circle.
Mike Dean has always been very animated with signalling and when giving out cards.
But last night as seen below. he made no indications with both his arms kept by his side.

The cynicism in me wonders if he was waiting for a reason to disallow it :)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1476309298779201547

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I have no idea, but have to say, thanks for the link to that tweet. Best clip I've seen of our end going batshit mental

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suppose it comes down to how necessary it is. No one wa questioninf or doubting it, noone tried to play on as if it didn't go all the way over the line. I think when it's so obvious there's no need to bother with the signals. They don't always blow when it goes out for a throw/corner/goal kick, either.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You don’t blow the whistle for a goal.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Probably waiting to see if VAR raised it's ugly head, we do know that even after the final whistle things can change!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Mike Dean lives on the Wirral and his two sons are Liverpool season ticket holders with tickets on The Kop, there was no way he was going to give Chelsea a soft penalty or disallow our goal.
I'd be happy to have Mike Dean referee every time we play Chelsea or Man City.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Bear with me here but i always understood that it was by the ref blowing the whistle and pointing or signaling to wards the centre circle.
Mike Dean has always been very animated with signalling and when giving out cards.
But last night as seen below. he made no indications with both his arms kept by his side.

Where did that flare come from? God him/herself?

el punal

I love that clip! The Chelsea fan you can hear, spitting blood and feathers, shouting “You prick!” is hilarious. :D

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Sofascore - particularly if you are watching a live stream with the inevitable 30-90 second delay.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have no idea, but have to say, thanks for the link to that tweet. Best clip I've seen of our end going batshit mental

Almost as many in the away end as were at the Amex V Brentford :p:D

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You don’t blow the whistle for a goal.

Correct, the only time the whistle would be used is if play is on going and you need to get the players attention for example if the goal line detection system has signalled the ball has crossed the line. Otherwise the whistle isn’t used to signal a goal.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Correct, the only time the whistle would be used is if play is on going and you need to get the players attention for example if the goal line detection system has signalled the ball has crossed the line. Otherwise the whistle isn’t used to signal a goal.

When I reffed, when a team scored, I would pull my shirt over my head and run back to the centre circle.

That got their attention...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I've stopped being cynical about Mike Dean. I remember our match at Swansea a few years ago (first season back in the Premier). He got a load of abuse from our fans, but did us a great favour by allowing play to continue, despite a Swansea foul, in the build up to our winning goal. Since then I think he's been pretty decent in any of our matches I've seen him ref. On Wednesday I thought it was great that he blew up BANG ON the 94 minutes, despite the fact that we'd wasted at least a minute in the post-goal celebrations.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I've stopped being cynical about Mike Dean. I remember our match at Swansea a few years ago (first season back in the Premier). He got a load of abuse from our fans, but did us a great favour by allowing play to continue, despite a Swansea foul, in the build up to our winning goal. Since then I think he's been pretty decent in any of our matches I've seen him ref. On Wednesday I thought it was great that he blew up BANG ON the 94 minutes, despite the fact that we'd wasted at least a minute in the post-goal celebrations.

He is pretty decent, but like many others (Maradona to name an extreme example) he'll be remembered for the one thing...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Swansea away was the time it dawned on me just how much he loves the attention.

He was warming up with his assistants near the halfway line at first. As soon as he heard our chants about him start up, he instantly signalled to his assistants to join him in warming up just in front of us. As he trotted over he had a big smile on his face. He loved it basically.

Having said that, since the infamous incident against Middlesborough, I agree, he's usually refereed our games pretty well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here