Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Santander paying out twice

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Due to a technical issue it seems many BACS payments from Santander to other banks where put through twice.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59826345
Were you a lucky one?
What's the law on getting it all back? 75000 people so that's going to take a lot of work going through all those accounts and chasing each one. As some could be as little as under £300 will they bother with those I wonder.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Due to a technical issue it seems many BACS payments from Santander to other banks where put through twice.
Were you a lucky one?
What's the law on getting it all back? 75000 people so that's going to take a lot of work going through all those accounts and chasing each one. As some could be as little as under £300 will they bother with those I wonder.
The law is quite clear. The money doesn't belong to the account holders and if they don't give it back it's theft.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Were you a lucky one?
It's a bank, they'll want every penny

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Were you a lucky one?

turn it around 180 degrees were you one of the businesses that had a sh*t christmas because you thought someone had stolen your money.... not so lucky for them

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Does this not have implications for accounts which have stopped being overdrawn by this but will go back to being if and when the money goes back to Santander?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Many years back now, but someone had put the notes in the wrong place on a cash machine in Burgess Hill, if you asked for a tenner you got a twenty, and if you asked for twenty got a ten. A friend withdrew £10 about 10 times, each time with a receipt, the bank did contact them in an attempt to retrieve the £100 extra that they actually got, but they stuck to their guns and said they had receipts to prove they only took £10 each time, and got away with it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It's a bank, they'll want every penny

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

They will claw back every penny for every single account affected. Firstly, because banks like money. Secondly, because it would increase their potential exposure/liability in future cases if they treated one customer differently to another. A customer in future could point to the bank not forcing others to repay in the past, and say that is the precedent. It'd be very unlikely to succeed legally, but it would just add to future legal expenses/man hours and probably more bad PR.

Finally, they aren't entitled to that money either morally or legally. Similarly I'm sure they will be diligent in refunding businesses who may have incurred bank-related expenses as a result (charges, interest, card processing fees).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They will claw back every penny for every single account affected. Firstly, because banks like money. Secondly, because it would increase their potential exposure/liability in future cases if they treated one customer differently to another. A customer in future could point to the bank not forcing others to repay in the past, and say that is the precedent. It'd be very unlikely to succeed legally, but it would just add to future legal expenses/man hours and probably more bad PR.

Finally, they aren't entitled to that money either morally or legally. Similarly I'm sure they will be diligent in refunding businesses who may have incurred bank-related expenses as a result (charges, interest, card processing fees).

It’s a simple legal position (case law from the 1800s, proven many times since) - unless you can argue you have changed your position as a result of the money that was ‘reasonably expected’ then you have to pay it back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here