Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are Newcastle going to stay up? (Suggestion - don’t open if you don’t care :smile:)

Will Newcastle stay up?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having just seen that they are potentially signing Aubameyang from Arsenal and the fact that Smug, love him or loathe him, is a pretty good manager, I think their spending power will see them survive :down:

No fence, just yes, they will or no they won’t, so your gut feeling only :shrug:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes.

Agree. Their spending power will see them survive. Footballers are whores. Or at least, enough of them are.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No they are down, for all the rumours and links I cannot see any top players actually making the move and it is not in the interests of other PL clubs to increase their survival chances.

Might get a few mercenaries who will be more interested in the pay day than dragging the team out of relegation but cannot see them getting the momentum required to get out of trouble

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes.

They will sign a load of "Gallowgateicos" next month and do enough to overhaul Watford or Leeds etc.

And then we will all have to suffer being told what a "fairytale" their relegation escape is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No they are down, for all the rumours and links I cannot see any top players actually making the move and it is not in the interests of other PL clubs to increase their survival chances.

Might get a few mercenaries who will be more interested in the pay day than dragging the team out of relegation but cannot see them getting the momentum required to get out of trouble

You are ignoring the fact that Smug has already got them playing better. Yes ASM and Wilson are injured but don’t underestimate the greed of most people in whatever profession they are in. IMO LIKE

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't ca.......

Bollocks, of course I do. They will go down and it will be HILLARIO.

Then they will come back up as Champions as they always do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if they sign well in the window they'll stay up. i dont think they'll sign well though.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Played 19. One win and eight draws. 11 points.

If you assume that they need 36 to stay up or 40 to be assured of survival, they need 25 to 29 points from their next 19 games.

That's somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5 points per game, every game.

Put another way, they need to find around 6 or 7 wins and a similar number of draws. From 19 games making form of P19 W6 D7 L6 (or to get 29 points perhaps W7 D8 L4).

I just can't see that happening.

They won't get the players they need on Jan 1st. Selling clubs will hold out as long as they can to get top dollar as the window threatens to close. Then you need to bed them in and integrate them into a disconsolate squad. You'll have very hacked off players who know they are on the way out as the petrodollars flood in who won't give a shit. To far to travel, too much to change and human nature against them. They might get close, but they will go down IMHO.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
You are ignoring the fact that Smug has already got them playing better. Yes ASM and Wilson are injured but don’t underestimate the greed of most people in whatever profession they are in. IMO LIKE

Playing but not winning and even less likely to win now their two goal threats are injured. If we say Watford are the most likely to occupy the other relegation spot with Norwich then at moment that leaves Leeds and Burnley for Newcastle to overhaul. Burnley have 4 games in hand on them and we know when the chips are down the ginger Dalek gets them over the line.

If we are generous and say a low 36 points might just keep them up that’s 25 points from 19 games which is top 10 form. Even with a few cash driven mercenaries that is a very tall order

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can't see them making enough signings to make a difference in January. They need 2-3 decent defenders and now 1-2 strikers/attacking players - for a club that could be relegation fodder

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I reckon they will stay up, but even if they don’t, they will come back up immediately.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Improved already plus new signings,stay up no problem

On the other hand,Leeds are absolute pony at the minute

Last season they were very gung-ho,either won or lost
This term,they're like rabbits in headlights
I can see them and Biesla going
I think the party is over there

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Played 19. One win and eight draws. 11 points.

If you assume that they need 36 to stay up or 40 to be assured of survival, they need 25 to 29 points from their next 19 games.

That's somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5 points per game, every game.

Put another way, they need to find around 6 or 7 wins and a similar number of draws. From 19 games making form of P19 W6 D7 L6 (or to get 29 points perhaps W7 D8 L4).

I just can't see that happening.

They won't get the players they need on Jan 1st. Selling clubs will hold out as long as they can to get top dollar as the window threatens to close. Then you need to bed them in and integrate them into a disconsolate squad. You'll have very hacked off players who know they are on the way out as the petrodollars flood in who won't give a shit. To far to travel, too much to change and human nature against them. They might get close, but they will go down IMHO.

Not sure about this.

So the current 17th placed team, Watford have 13 pts from 17 games which puts them on course for less than 30.

I get that any team can go on a decent streak, but this season the dynamic does seem to be 4 or 5 clubs cut adrift.

I think 32 will be enough. There's hope for all clubs down there.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I can't see them making enough signings to make a difference in January. They need 2-3 decent defenders and now 1-2 strikers/attacking players - for a club that could be relegation fodder

Hmm, they need an entire new defence and midfield surely. Scrub that, they basically need a whole new team.

I have no doubt they will make a good fist of putting together a decent brand new team. I think they will make 10 decent signings, (probably at least 5 on loan).

It will give them a great chance of survival

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I doubt the decision makers at Newcastle actually care if they do go down, the money lost in TV rights you get in the EPL no longer matter to the owners, when you earn 7 million euros every hour of every day losing 170 million in revenue is water off a ducks back to these people.

Going down would actually give Newcastle a 325 million pound FFP fund to play with in the close season and a massive clearout of players no longer required, they would then smash the championship and be back in the EPL in the 2023/24 season, a lot stronger than what they would be if they spunked 150 million this January with no certainty they'd survive.

My heart bleeds, but I'd prefer them to spunk the 150 in January and still go down :lolol:

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Voted Yes, but hope they dont. Money talks and as mentioned, there are enough mercenaries in the game (see Chinese league), who'd gladly go there for a sack of Saudia cash.

From an Albion perspective, Bloom was right to let Ashworth talk to them imho, and whilst I think he'd mad to go there professionally except for the buckets of cash, the one thing we do still hold within our remit is that he's under contract. So if he is tempted by the riches and bright lights, at the least I hope the club puts in some kind on non compete clause that doesnt allow Ashworth to waltz into St James Park in January and go after Albion targets whose homework was all done whilst at Albion. Either dont release him until February or better still put in some form of deal that he cant go after those who were sourced whilst he was paid by the Albion. Otherwise Bloom has been paying his wages to effectively do homework for instant Newcastle targets.

I hope DA stays, if he leaves, our club needs to be protected.

What odds Darwin Nunez rocks up in tyneside in January!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here