Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Sports shops in Brighton and Hove

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I recently had need to visit an actual sports shop and buy some equipment, and went to Nick Rivett sports in Hove. But it made me think about all the sports shops I knew growing up that had bitten the dust, many of which were (Danny Dyer voice approaching) proper old school sports shops.

For starters:
Diggens Sports
Gamleys (used to have separate sports shop too)
Hove Sports Depot
Sports Corner
Wisden Sports
Swift Sports
Sports Special
Even JJB at the Goldstone has been and gone!

There are probably others I have forgotten. (Edits - David Rose Sports, Olympus Sport and AA Baker too, of course, well remembered by other posters!)

Apart from Nick Rivett, I could only think of some of the newer ones like Decathlon, JJB (both North Street), the one in Lewes and that’s about it.

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
David Rose - an institution

finds a David Rose Sports thread from 2006 in the archive - not sure how to link to this post

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Swift sports was a huge loss

I remember when the owner retired and said that sadly neither of his son's wanted to take the business on. He was incredibly knowledgeable, affable and kind hearted. From my first airflow ball to my last pair of Predator boots I bought for Uni football I always went there even if it meant an extra £5 or whatever on the item because it was worth supporting.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I remember when the owner retired and said that sadly neither of his son's wanted to take the business on. He was incredibly knowledgeable, affable and kind hearted. From my first airflow ball to my last pair of Predator boots I bought for Uni football I always went there even if it meant an extra £5 or whatever on the item because it was worth supporting.

Ken is still around. He sometimes uses one of our STs. Very nice guy!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Swift Sports was my go to. Fantastic shop, lovely staff, had everything.

Awful seeing it gone.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Olympus Sports at the Clock Tower (next to the Quadrant pub I think on he NW side).

Late 70’s and 80’s.

I bought Adidas Samba and Mamba trainers there when at school.

Have you seen the ‘Casuals’ programme on Amazon Prime? These and other Adidas (or Adeeeedus, as pronounced on the programme by Scousers!) trainers get quite a mention!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Did the large CO-OP in London Road sell sports equipment?
I saw Subbuteo mentioned and that was definitely sold there in their toy department.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wasn't there a shop called 'Sport and Ski' in Brighton, somewhere? Possibly the old Churchill Square or nearby?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here