Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back 4 or Back 3

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What do you prefer?

Do you see our move to 4 at the back as a result of circumstances or do you think that will be our preferred set up going forward?

Do you think that the system can nullify Lamptey and Cuccerella as attacking threats or do you see last nights game as debunking that myth?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I was wedded to the idea of 3 but last night may have changed my mind. I was mildly bemoaning the limitations, looked at the screen to see Cucu and Lamptey both pressing in the Chelsea half!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
At times last night, and throughout the season, we often switch between a 3 and a 4. Last night Cucurella was clearly playing as the left side of a back three with Lamptey and March pushing up as wing backs. Other times it was a more conventional back 4. Once Lamptey went off it became a 3 as we pushed players up looking for the equaliser. The ease at which we can switch between the two formations without having to make a sub and not having anyone really look out of place is a huge bonus for us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last season we went three at the back - it was rellatively a new thing for us, and at times I admit I felt we were just doing it to accommodate White alongside the undroppable duo of Dunk and Webster. Whatever - it worked.
This season, we've done both. I think I marginally prefer three at the back - it's playing to our strengths in that we've got very good CBs, and our FBs, especially Lamptey, are more wing backs than FBs. That's only a marginal preference though - no problem with four at the back if that's how it goes.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Many top sides played 3 CB's a few seasons ago but VVD allowed Liverpool to switch to a back 4 and their success has prompted many to follow suit.

Many supporters questioned Lamptey's capabilities to play as a RB in a back 4 but the attacking abilities of both Lamptey & Cucurella allow us to press significantly higher up the field. Ultimately meaning an additional forward can be deployed.

A back 3 means more height in each box but a back 4 means more creativity in advanced areas. Potter is likely to mix and match to be unpredictable and to ensure the players have alternatives that they are comfortable with for any mid game switches that are required

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
At times last night, and throughout the season, we often switch between a 3 and a 4. Last night Cucurella was clearly playing as the left side of a back three with Lamptey and March pushing up as wing backs. Other times it was a more conventional back 4. Once Lamptey went off it became a 3 as we pushed players up looking for the equaliser. The ease at which we can switch between the two formations without having to make a sub and not having anyone really look out of place is a huge bonus for us.

This. It was very clear from where I was sitting that Cucurella started on the left of the back 3. Lamptey's starting position was about 25 yards further forward than the other day against Brentford.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As a couple have highlighted above, we do tend to switch during a game whether it's an initial back 3 or 4. I believe that to do this effectively takes a lot of time on the training ground and during games and we are seeing the advantages of this flexibility this season.

Last night, what initially looked to be a back 4 played as a back 3 at times.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Cucurella played central defender, left back, left midfielder and central midfielder all at once yesterday... best of both worlds.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As a couple have highlighted above, we do tend to switch during a game whether it's an initial back 3 or 4. I believe that to do this effectively takes a lot of time on the training ground and during games and we are seeing the advantages of this flexibility this season.

Last night, what initially looked to be a back 4 played as a back 3 at times.

This, the game is far less rigid now, and the best teams are able to switch tactics as the game progresses.

Note to self . . . Does this mean that we can be regarded as one of the best teams now then? :ohmy:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think we can play a 4 when Lallana and Bissouma are available and the full backs are Cucu and Lamptey, Biss and Lama give the required protection to cover the full backs to attack and Cucu and TL have the pace and energy to get up and down the pitch. I do like the look of the back 3 but GP is getting a tune from a 4.
Last night we were changing between the two formations with Cucu dropping in to the middle and March going LWB.
Fluid, sexy football.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Much prefer the 4 with 2 full backs. When playing with 3 CBs they spend far too long defending in wide positions which they are not good at. Especially Burn Also Cucurella and Lampty get balance of attacking and defending better at full back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here