Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Mask wearing after matches in the concourse

Holoflux

Dec 27, 2021
Attending the last coupe, of games Ive noticed that the vast majority of fans are wearing masks in the concourse before games and at half time.

But large numbers in East Upper then choose to not both wearing a mask after the game, at the most congested time in the stair well and concourse.

My young son noticed the same asked why do I have to wear one when other people don’t.

So come on ... those of you who choose not to mask up in the busy indoor areas for 5 minutes at the end of the match. How did you come to this decision?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Attending the last coupe, of games Ive noticed that the vast majority of fans are wearing masks in the concourse before games and at half time.

But large numbers in East Upper then choose to not both wearing a mask after the game, at the most congested time in the stair well and concourse.

My young son noticed the same asked why do I have to wear one when other people don’t.

So come on ... those of you who choose not to mask up in the busy indoor areas for 5 minutes at the end of the match. How did you come to this decision?

Probably not a conscious or deliberate decision. It’s still not natural for most people to wear a mask and in the rush to get out they probably forgot.

I can’t see it as a deliberate decision to increase their chances of catching or spreading Covid.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I don't think anyone is doing it on purpose? I think its a natural reaction to leaving, most people aren't some sort of conspiracy theorist or anti masker, they just are making a mistake.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A few games ago I did exactly what others here described and trooped down the many steps from West Upper. Only when I got outside did I realise I had forgotten to put my mask on, and I am usually really aware of it and follow the rules. It's very easily done whether one is disappointed or happy with a result, one tends to turn match events over in one's head and that leads to forgetfullness.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A few games ago I did exactly what others here described and trooped down the many steps from West Upper. Only when I got outside did I realise I had forgotten to put my mask on, and I am usually really aware of it and follow the rules. It's very easily done whether one is disappointed or happy with a result, one tends to turn match events over in one's head and that leads to forgetfullness.

Ditto. Guilty as charged. Simply forgot to put mask back on post-match.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People are odd. But are they? A lot of our behaviour has evolved over 1000s of years.

For example, how many times have you seen people leave a crowded building, or step off an escalator, then just stop, with people having to dodge them, or pile into them? Drives me mad. I always give them a helpful shove.

However, back when we lived in caves or huts, we would step ouside very carefully and look around in case there was another hairy bloke about to club us to death, or a sabre-toothed tiger ready to pounce. Those whose genes programmed jaunty incaution probably didn't live long enough to pass on their genetic material to the next generation.

Regarding mask removal after the game is over, I suspect it is in anticipation of being outside. Like kids charging outside before their shoe laces are tied, or adults driving off before putting the seat belt on. Inappropriate anticipation of the Next Thing, in the context of relatively new technology or situations that have not had time to exert a Darwinian influence.

There has been no charge for this fanciful Old Bollocks :wink:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Because everyone’s ENTITLED to kill themselves, others and break the NHS too if they pay National Insurance. Or even if they don’t.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have found the biggest issue with masks to be in the toilets. I'd say maybe 20% of people bother to wear masks. Loads of people coughing and obviously, they can't cover their mouth because they, ahem, have their hands full.

Now I feel inadequate …I only need the one hand to hold the fella :(

Re the OP ..I stayed applauded players off pitch…by that time hardly anyone on the concourse :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I have found the biggest issue with masks to be in the toilets. I'd say maybe 20% of people bother to wear masks. Loads of people coughing and obviously, they can't cover their mouth because they, ahem, have their hands full.

Which is mad because TBH a mask protecting your mouth and nose is a cracking idea in most public toilets

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't go to the Amex, but if I did I wouldn't wear a mask.

I'm also not scared of that black thing that seems to be attached to me and always follows me around on sunny days.

*Walks away from thread whistling*

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
WSL concourse wasn’t crowded, main gates by the turnstiles were open so area was very well ventilated post-match and anyone worried could simply walk through and out in seconds. Probably not much risk at all - particularly compared, with, say Dick’s Bar pre-match which was absolutely rammed with barely a mask in sight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here