Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix - What's good to watch?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Binged this series a few months ago, good London gangster drama, the first 2 series are very gritty and I think produced by C4, with the newer series produced by Netflix with much higher production vehicles.

Interesting because there are significant gaps between filming of series so you experience gradual gentrification of Hackney (first series filmed in 2010 but set a bit earlier). The characters are surprisingly deep for a 'gangster' film.

Dave (the rapper) appears as a prominant character in Series 3 some of the early series music was produced by Brian Eno.

Dave indeed, plus obviously Kano, and in S3 Little Simz. Add Drake’s involvement, plus Eno as you say, and it’s a multitalented music ensemble. Stormzy up next?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've a big bug bear with Amazon, Netflix and Sky. If I watch a film I wish it would remember. Fed up with wasting 10 minutes only to realise I'd watched it already.
Don't Look Up, enjoyable but ad mentioned, watch beyond then end credits.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Started watching Bates Motel. It’s a few years old now and finished back in 2017 but it’s good. Plus Vera Farmiga is gorgeous.

Also, what happened to the other thread?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

T'was a victim of Mustafa's request to be purged.

Will re-state a couple of suggestions that probably won't appeal to many people here:

Holy Camp - Spanish musical about a couple of girls at a religious camp - one is falling in love with one of the workers, the other is seeing god appear and sing whitney huston songs to her.

The Invisible Guest - Another spanish film. This time a thriller about a man trying to convince his lawyer/adviser that he did not kill someone, despite being found in a locked room with the body.

The Trip - Norwegian film about a couple who go away to a cabin, each planning to kill the other, but their efforts get interrupted...

Andhadhun - Bollywood film about a piano player who feigns blindness, who happens to witnesses a murder, and then gets caught up in a blackmail scam.

Dangal - Bollywood film, recounting the true story of India's first women's olympic wrestling gold medal winner.

The Bar - Spanish film about a group of people trapped in a Bar while a zombie-like pandemic rages outstide

Miracle in Cell No. 7 - Turkish remake of korean film about a intellectually challenged man who is framed for the murder of the police captain's daughter and put in prison with violent criminals, and is visited by his own young daughter who touches the lives of everyone in the prison.

A Classic Horror Story - An italian horror movie about a group of people who get into a car accident in the middle of no where, who go for help and murder follows. (has a great ending)

The Fear Street Trilogy - three films set in the same town, first in the 90s where murders happen, second set in the 70s where an earlier story is retold, then in the 1666 where the underlying story starts.

The Harder They Fall - Western tale of revenge and outlaws. etc. Very cool.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I watched 'A Futile And Stupid Gesture' last night, which is a comedic take on the story of how National Lampoon came about and it was pretty good, easy watching. Better than I thought it would be.
True Story with Wesley Snipes and Kevin Hart isn't bad but I wasn't so hooked I had to binge watch it.
Don't Look Up is the next thing on my list.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Veterans of this thread know this already but the 2 sports documentaries THAT MUST BE WATCHED are:-

&

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Started watching Bates Motel. It’s a few years old now and finished back in 2017 but it’s good. Plus Vera Farmiga is gorgeous.

Great series, no dip in quality throughout. Two of the lead actors Brits and the cop IS Anthony Perkins, aka the original Norman Bates. Throw Brooklyn Beckham’s fiancé Nicola Peltz into the mix and what's not to love?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/70302482

Brilliant, cutthroat political series from Denmark, with the stunning Sidse. Catch up before the new series in Feb.

Borgen.

EDIT:

100% on RT can't be all bad.

Borgen.jpg

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I thought The Power of the Dog was very good.

Is this anything at all to do with the Don Winslow book of the same name?

The book is about the Americans futile attempts to curtail the South American drugs industry.

It’s excellent,btw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here