Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vintage Brighton Ribero Training top

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Before I put this up for sale does anyone know what year/years the team wore this ? I've a vague recollection of seeing the team in these in the late 80s very early 90s but not 100% sure, it's a pukka top all cotton. 20211228_163047.jpg

Attachments

• 20211228_163004.jpg
    20211228_163004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 322

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Definitely NOT 90-91 season because I had and it’s not that one. I think it’s a Sergi era as someone else said, could be couple season before or before that. Late 80s my best guess.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Its certainly early 90s as by 1994-95 season Admiral were making our kits again.

Definitely NOT 90-91 season because I had and it’s not that one. I think it’s a Sergi era as someone else said, could be couple season before or before that. Late 80s my best guess.

Ribero definitely made the kit for the 91 play off final, think that was the first game with them as kit supplier. Before that it was Sports Express.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Its certainly early 90s as by 1994-95 season Admiral were making our kits again.

Ribero definitely made the kit for the 91 play off final, think that was the first game with them as kit supplier. Before that it was Sports Express.

Actually, ignore my guess. My top I think was 91-92. Or maybe later. I’m wondering if had Santex on which makes it at least 95 onwards. I think this top is still late 80s, possibly 89-90 season? But I’m guessing really.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Didn’t have Ribero until 90s

Just watched the 91 play off final and though teams didn’t come out wearing ‘tops’ the bench are wearing tracksuit tops sort of similar to the OPs. Could be the 90-91 season then after all?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just watched the 91 play off final and though teams didn’t come out wearing ‘tops’ the bench are wearing tracksuit tops sort of similar to the OPs. Could be the 90-91 season then after all?

It wasn’t used for the main part of 90-91 season as Sports Express were our kit manufacturer for that season. Ribero made the kit for the playoff final, that was the first game with them as suppliers.

Exeter had the same training top (in their colours) for the 90-91 and 91-92 season which means we probably used it for the 91-92 season.

https://shop.exetercityfc.com/products/pre-order-retro-1990-92-ribero-warm-up-top

Looking at the video of the play off final our bench looks to be wearing a different top to the one the op has posted.

play off final.jpg

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I can't find a picture, but didn't we have a towelling type tracksuit top with a big white zip around 1980? A few kids at school had them, I wanted one really badly!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I've seen that, looks quite nice but not the same, and I would never wear it, except maybe out for a run. I can't stand nylon!

Did the toweling one have a hood?

I know the one you mean. Definitely late 70’s Bukta - I’m pretty sure there is a picture, of a few of the players training in those tops, in one of the books released after our promotion in 79

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Before I put this up for sale does anyone know what year/years the team wore this ? I've a vague recollection of seeing the team in these in the late 80s very early 90s but not 100% sure, it's a pukka top all cotton.View attachment 143163

It’s a thing of beauty! Best guess is early 90s (circa 91-94) as that’s when Ribero supplied our kits.

Coincidentally, on what platform will you be selling this?

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It wasn’t used for the main part of 90-91 season as Sports Express were our kit manufacturer for that season. Ribero made the kit for the playoff final, that was the first game with them as suppliers.

Exeter had the same training top (in their colours) for the 90-91 and 91-92 season which means we probably used it for the 91-92 season.

https://shop.exetercityfc.com/products/pre-order-retro-1990-92-ribero-warm-up-top

Looking at the video of the play off final our bench looks to be wearing a different top to the one the op has posted.

View attachment 143170

Yes, it’s not the same because the OPs is a drill top rather than a tracksuit top which the bench wore/would wear. But as said, it’s sort of similar so maybe given as you say, Ribero took over the following season it’s 91-92? Raphael Meade, he’s got speed, and co? Relegation and near terminal decline had begun. Funnily enough though, they were some of my favourite Albion supporting years. Wigan, Rotherham, Stockport, Bolton, Chester, Bury, Rochdale, Blackpool, Wrexham, Huddersfield…got pissed in nearly every northern mill town during those times. Oh, and Old Trafford!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here