Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Just finished playing junior Monopoly and just wondered..............

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
How many of us aged 40+ ever actually played by all the rules? An Xmas family favourite but can recall loads of commonly accepted rules that were never in the game. Almost house rules.

1. You couldn't buy anything on your first lap of the board. Not in the rules.

2. Free Parking cash payout. All fines and taxes paid out as result of Chance/Community Chest cards were put in the middle of board. If you landed there you scooped the lot. Again not in the rules.

3. When you are in jail you can't collect rentals if someone lands on any of your properties. Again not in the rules which indicate that the only obvious restriction is that you can't move around the board.

4. When someone goes bankrupt all their property goes back to the banker and players need to land on again to be able to buy. The cavalry rules indicate that all assets should simply be passed over to the creditor. No wonder the game could last so long!

5. And here's the big one! The official rules state that when a property is landed on, and that player does not want to buy it, that property goes to auction. Meaning someone can buy the property for less than it's worth. As man and boy I don't know anyone who ever applied that significant rule.

For all this we still loved the game albeit it could go on for hours. Did you have any different local house rules? Or maybe you did auction any unowned property that was landed on?

As an aside I the junior version I bought my 7 year olds has been an Xmas favourite and really easy to play. Next year maybe I should buy them the king of board games ...........Escape from Colditz! :)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My late Father, a referee and schoolmaster, was a bit of a stickler for the rules, so we always played exactly to the letter. However, when playing with friends I think we played each and every one of the "house rules". It got the game over quicker, it can "Free Parking" a purpose.

I had another friend who went even further with the custom rules, some of them a bit bonkers. If you were the train, you got double rent for the stations. If you were the car, you got £50 for landing on Free Parking, that kind of malarky. He had them all written down and laminated and everything.

Atmosfear - and all the sequels - was the game for us though. We had those tapes memorised - STOP!!! WHOSE TURN IS IT? ANSWER ME MAGGOTS!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
How many of us aged 40+ ever actually played by all the rules? An Xmas family favourite but can recall loads of commonly accepted rules that were never in the game. Almost house rules.

2. Free Parking cash payout. All fines and taxes paid out as result of Chance/Community Chest cards were put in the middle of board. If you landed there you scooped the lot. Again not in the rules.

3. When you are in jail you can't collect rentals if someone lands on any of your properties. Again not in the rules which indicate that the only obvious restriction is that you can't move around the board.

4. When someone goes bankrupt all their property goes back to the banker and players need to land on again to be able to buy. The cavalry rules indicate that all assets should simply be passed over to the creditor. No wonder the game could last so long!

5. And here's the big one! The official rules state that when a property is landed on, and that player does not want to buy it, that property goes to auction. Meaning someone can buy the property for less than it's worth. As man and boy I don't know anyone who ever applied that significant rule.

For all this we still loved the game albeit it could go on for hours. Did you have any different local house rules? Or maybe you did auction any unowned property that was landed on?

As an aside I the junior version I bought my 7 year olds has been an Xmas favourite and really easy to play. Next year maybe I should buy them the king of board games ...........Escape from Colditz! :)

Did Junior moan when you beat them ???

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I have monopoly on my PS5, and every one of those rules is in the game, although you can turn them on/off as desired. There is also an even build rule on houses so you can't just buy the odd house, you have to buy in two's or three's depending on what colour property.
Jail, you can still collect rent, you have 3 goes to roll a double, after the third attempt you must pay £50 to get out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Replies inline

Never done that

We don't do that

Pretty sure that is the rule. We have always applied it.

We pass everything to the creditor BUT the properties and any houses etc. must be mortgaged first. So the creditor has to buy the property out of mortgage, and put houses back on the propert at standard cost.

Yes, we use the auction rule.

:thumbsup

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

We used to play that, but no more.

On Xmas Day, on the very first go, my eldest threw 7 to land on Chance, and drew an "Advance to Mayfair" card. On his third or fourth go around he landed on Park Lane.

It was a short game.

PS "Junior Monopoly" (see thread title) is a different game - and great fun for little ones.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

1. Junior Monopoly and Monopoly do have differing rules. Also, it may well be that over the years the rules have been refined. That said, there's nothing wrong with some amended house rules. We never used to put the taxes in the middle but do now.

2. If you play escape from colditz, your son should be encouraged to play the Germans. It'll save a lot of arguments.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If you choose/get elected the top hat, you MUST put it on your head at least once.

Indeed, surely that's in the official rules as is the little Scottie dog cocking his leg at some point.

And I almost omitted the tactic that caused most aggro when you were caught. At the commencement of the game you positioned yourself nearest the upturned game so when tough times hit you could pilfer cash from the bank when nobody was looking :)

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
My 14 year old self used to have a rule with my 11 year old sister and 10 year old brother that any debts carried over onto next game.

Rule came into effect after I had hotels on Park Lane, Mayfair and all of the green places.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Unless there are at least 3 arguments, 5 “stupid game“ comments, 2 accusations of stealing from the bank,1 [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION] type flounce, and an up table moment, it doesn’t count as a completed game.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I genuinely use all those rules and have done so since I started playing in the early 80’s, everyone of those rules to the letter, I thought they were personal to our family, they must be in an old set of rules that we had when we were younger surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I played it exactly as you do. The only thing I thought wasn't in the rules was the Free Parking kitty. I always knew that was an agreement between the players.

As regards the Junior version, get your kids into the normal game as soon as you can. I was introduced to it by a cousin around the age of eight and nine and was beating adults quite quickly. It's actually very educational, although be careful of creating hardened capitalists out them :lolol:

I was always the boat. Insisted on it. Not sure why.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

I'm glad you posted this!! I was sure that we used to take something from the middle for 'free parking' when I was a kid but as it's not in the rules now I thought it was my age! I'm going to put that back in!
No having to buy anything if you land on it, no auctions & I did ignore that in the 'new' rules.
All property went to the banker when bankrupt, a player could give you a temporary loan & you'd hope that someone landed on your property....hence continuing the game.
There is a new 'community chest' or 'chance' card where you throw all the £100 notes into the air and everyone has the chance to get them before they fall to the floor. This leads to creased notes and annoys me!???
A member of my family who taught me 'the rules' of monopoly had his own thing that you could have lots of hotels on your property. I was 7 he was 15 & I always lost. I never threw the board but I don't think I can forgive him. :D
I have an old 80's monopoly set in the loft & I'm going to dig it out to check the rules when I put the dec's back up.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Never realised there were now so many custom versions of the game. Being a bit of an old rocker this one caught my eye!

Chance - James steps on a pyrotechnics go straight to the emergency room do not pass go

You release St Anger and it bombs - go back three spaces

51ZA3dUQ63L._AC_SY580_.jpg

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Never realised there were now so many custom versions of the game. Being a bit of an old rocker this one caught my eye!

Chance - James steps on a pyrotechnics go straight to the emergency room do not pass go

You release St Anger and it bombs - go back three spaces

View attachment 143169

Back in the day (1980's)

Every country I visited,I always tried to buy their version of Monopoly

The Swedish 'chance' cards were particularly hard to read :lolol: punk:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hate Monopoly, takes FAR too long.

We bought Monopoly Empire a couple of years ago, where you buy media brands to fill your tower to the top to win. Its like a 20/20 version (as opposed to a full-on TEST). Infinitely preferable as its only 4-player, you can easily squeeze a few games in, then move onto something FUN like Boggle or Taboo. Or cards.

The old Monopoly just ruins entire evenings.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I hate Monopoly, takes FAR too long.

We bought Monopoly Empire a couple of years ago, where you buy media brands to fill your tower to the top to win. Its like a 20/20 version (as opposed to a full-on TEST). Infinitely preferable as its only 4-player, you can easily squeeze a few games in, then move onto something FUN like Boggle or Taboo. Or cards.

The old Monopoly just ruins entire evenings.

Alongside Junior Monopoly we also got Boggle this Xmas which is going down well.

For me the rubbish old game was Risk. Really didn't like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here