Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why are games getting cancelled?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The PL clubs must have loads of decent players on their books- youth / reserve team players etc. why don’t they just get told to put those guys in the match day squad?

Also some clubs have tons of players out on loan- they could be told to recall those players to bolster their squad (I appreciate some knock-on impacts from that if the player is on loan at another PL club).

It seems nuts to me that these clubs on the face of it have so many players - and yet they say they can’t find 13 to put into a match day squad.

I must be missing something.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After palace tried to cheat this becomes a slightly more valid question.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Various reasons I would imagine. Competitive integrity, safety reasons ("hey we're getting positive results from every testing session, want to train with us?") and in some cases its not quite fair to the young players either. Some U23s are not physically mature to compete with elite sportsmen yet and putting them in that environment could be dangerous.

Regarding recalls you can only do it in January. While it would perhaps be a decent idea to temporarily change that (either allowing recalls at any point or allowing the players to play for both PL teams and a EFL team) it would also be a completely shit idea since jumping around between clubs would not help prevent infections.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Should have to get fans to play instead

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
A PL club asks for a postponement when they think playing at later date increases their chance of winning.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Various reasons I would imagine. Competitive integrity

:lol: That ship’s long since sailed.,

safety reasons ("hey we're getting positive results from every testing session, want to train with us?")

Don’t mix and match then, keep them separated.

and in some cases its not quite fair to the young players either. Some U23s are not physically mature to compete with elite sportsmen yet and putting them in that environment could be dangerous.

Have you heard of the EFL Trophy?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I agree. 25 man squad plus under 23s should be able to put out sides. The 38 league games plus domestic cup games is not the problem. It is the meaningless early rounds of international and European games. Even worse this season with an additional European competition. All was OK when top 2 entered Champions league and winner of FA cup went into cup winners. Money

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
We had to on one occasion, during the war.

albert.jpg

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think with 25 man squads plus Academy plays a bigger reason for postponing a game is if you have a ground out in sticks and no public transport running

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The PL clubs must have loads of decent players on their books- youth / reserve team players etc. why don’t they just get told to put those guys in the match day squad?
They sholud be made to do so - with no crowds though - thousands of fans crammed together on trains, buses and concourses is the real super-spreader.

Also some clubs have tons of players out on loan- they could be told to recall those players to bolster their squad (I appreciate some knock-on impacts from that if the player is on loan at another PL club).
They can't; it's against the rules (they may be able to recall some in January, depending on the contract terms.

It seems nuts to me that these clubs on the face of it have so many players - and yet they say they can’t find 13 to put into a match day squad.
They're lying (and it's an absolute certainty they're trying to gain an advantage).

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has any game been singled out as a Cheltenham festival style 'Super Spreader Event'?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
After palace tried to cheat this becomes a slightly more valid question.

Guardian rightly called out Palace, and they were laughing at their pathetic attempt to cancel game. When squad announced it only had 1 change, and that player was still on the sub bench!

It’s called cheating.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How about players not getting vaccinated?

That would be a great rule to have if you’re not mandating being vaccinated. How many players you got out with Covid? 8 is it. Okay how many of that 8 are unvaccinated? 5 of them, sorry no postponing as effectively you only have 3 out sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here