Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Converting old VHS Video Tapes to Digital

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Has anyone done this?

Did you do it yourself or use a professional service?

If you did it yourself what equipment did you use and what was your experience regarding ease of use and quality of transfer?

If you used a professional service can you recommend anyone?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had a dvd recorder, which my VCR plugged into, and I transferred them to DVD. I then ripped a couple of the DVDs to my laptop. I think there are connectors and software you can get to connect the VCR direct to a computer via usb, but I've not used them.

If you're looking at bought videos, most movies I found were protected, but live event stuff (concerts, football videos, etc) weren't. Home videos were fine.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I did VHS machine to DVD recorder worked ok but you do get a loss of quality. I suspect a built in vhs/dvd recorder of which there were various models would give better quality. You could also improve the quality if you could use the original camera to the DVD recorder assuming the head was still clean.

One thing to mention the VHS tapes are probably better (more stable and last longer) than the recordable DVDs that you can buy. So mine are also sitting on my hard drives....(primary & backup)

I guess a professional will be able to do this better but it will cost you £10-15 a tape. Fine if you only have a few to do.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only vaguely related but has science yet cracked the conundrum of how to safely dispose of/recycle VHS tapes? Seems to me that as things stand your only real choice is to pass the buck to third party (charity shop, binmen) who will magically spirit them out of your life forever. Not really a proper solution tho eh? Must be BILLIONS of the buggers just taking up redundant space in everyone's homespace

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got a VHS to DVD recorder; I copied all my stuff to DVD then used DVD ripping software to get them into MP4 format.
The quality of 1990s videos, though, is awful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here