Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Breaking from corners

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it I'm the last to pick up on this, but am going to mention it anyway, just in case it's a new thing.

Twice last night, I noticed when an opposition corner broke down Flair Hair & The Lamp have been instructed to maraude straight up the middle of the pitch as fast as possible.

Now neither out ball worked but one day it might.

We might get to see them two, our two full backs, arrowing in on goal like they are some kind of modern day Jamie Murphy. :lol:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
For one corner we actually left two players up front, which meant that they had to hang back and not flood the box as they like to. I seem to recall threads on NSC from some years back begging us to leave someone up top at corners?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
For one corner we actually left two players up front, which meant that they had to hang back and not flood the box as they like to. I seem to recall threads on NSC from some years back begging us to leave someone up top at corners?

That was for a long throw in. Directly the ball was cleared for a corner the two players came back.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man

I agree leaving players up the pitch drags their defenders back towards halfway line, rather than just outside the box.

Modern day coaches philosophy is more players in box, makes it harder for opposition to get a clean challenge on the ball from a corner.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I take it I'm the last to pick up on this, but am going to mention it anyway, just in case it's a new thing.

Twice last night, I noticed when an opposition corner broke down Flair Hair & The Lamp have been instructed to maraude straight up the middle of the pitch as fast as possible.

Now neither out ball worked but one day it might.

We might get to see them two, our two full backs, arrowing in on goal like they are some kind of modern day Jamie Murphy. :lol:

We had to calm things down a little though after big Bob juggling the ball close to the half way line, somehow did not attract the attention of the ref or the lino.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We had to calm things down a little though after big Bob juggling the ball close to the half way line, somehow did not attract the attention of the ref or the lino.

i noticed that on highlights. Is handling ball outside area a sending off or bookable offence

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
It's the first time this season that i've noticed us leaving a player up (or two) from their corners - nice to see.

Late in second half Maupay and Welbeck (?) took to almost standing off the pitch on opposite wings on half way when Brentford had a corner.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It's the first time this season that i've noticed us leaving a player up (or two) from their corners - nice to see.

Late in second half Maupay and Welbeck (?) took to almost standing off the pitch on opposite wings on half way when Brentford had a corner.

See post #4 above

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here