Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Advice Wi-Fi booster

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Hello the good and the bold of NSC

Looking for recommendations for a decent Wi-Fi booster, it’s awful at the Mrs place and causing grief with her 2 crotchgoblins.

What do you advise upto about £50

Ta muchly

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tenda wifi mesh system. Reasonable price and buy on Amazon via NSC of course.

This…….…..put one in a couple of years ago, virtually no loss of wifi speed all around the house with just three small boxes. Can also connect by ethernet to the boxes for even better reliability.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have a Netgear WiFi booster AC 750 £26 at Amazon. Down side with booster is you get an extra signal rather than one signal with a mesh system. I have a 4 bedroom house with booster on landing that feeds 3 fire sticks plus TVs and office equipment. Rarely drops out.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
£29.99 for a 3 unit lower spec one at Currys which is £40 at Amazon.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...ome-wifi-system-triple-pack-10184407-pdt.html

Looking at this one, is it with the extra?
IMG_4079.png

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Looking at this one, is it with the extra?
View attachment 143104

I'm no expert on Mesh systems but reviews say you need the higher spec ones if you have 100Mb/s internet and want it all available so the 5 series is going to be faster than the 3 series I have listed (and just bought). But if you just want streaming ability all over the house then the Currys one seems to be fine

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I'm no expert on Mesh systems but reviews say you need the higher spec ones if you have 100Mb/s internet and want it all available so the 5 series is going to be faster than the 3 series I have listed (and just bought). But if you just want streaming ability all over the house then the Currys one seems to be fine

There’s a ps5, Xbox, 4 phones, 3 tablets and a fire stick

For the sake of an extra £35 if it stops her brats moaning it’s worth it to me [emoji1787]

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
There’s a ps5, Xbox, 4 phones, 3 tablets and a fire stick

For the sake of an extra £35 if it stops her brats moaning it’s worth it to me [emoji1787]

Probably wise but if you don't have fibre direct to the house then you won't get much benefit. But will be future proofed.

This…….…..put one in a couple of years ago, virtually no loss of wifi speed all around the house with just three small boxes. Can also connect by ethernet to the boxes for even better reliability.

Just looked at ours - says Nova on the front but Tenda on the bottom of the three boxes. Don't recall that it was overly expensive or difficult to install but can confirm that it does the job for which it was purchased.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
£29.99 for a 3 unit lower spec one at Currys which is £40 at Amazon.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...ome-wifi-system-triple-pack-10184407-pdt.html

If the main unit is plugged into existing router and now takes over the network, does that mean any ethernet connections to existing router now have to go into this unit instead? If so, two ethernet connections on the unit isn't going to be enough when I currently have three things plugged into the router.

Is this correct?, our can the existing router still be used for ethernet connections?

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
If the main unit is plugged into existing router and now takes over the network, does that mean any ethernet connections to existing router now have to go into this unit instead? If so, two ethernet connections on the unit isn't going to be enough when I currently have three things plugged into the router.

Is this correct?, our can the existing router still be used for ethernet connections?

No, the mesh network doesn't take over your existing wifi but piggybacks on your internet feed and runs a second wifi signal alongside your existing wifi signal.

I've got three ethernet connections plugged into the back of my existing BT router, one of which is the primary box on the mesh network. That primary box then sends the signal out to the other mesh boxes around the house. You give the mesh network a name and password and this then becomes a second wifi signal but this doesn't affect the other things connected into the back of the router or your existing wifi signal.

I've actually separated out the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz signals on my wifi (as I've a couple of smart sockets that only work on a 2.4GHz signal), so in effect have 3 independent wifi networks emanating from a single router although only the mesh one actually reaches all parts of the house!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think the above answer can work, but can also result in WiFi signals interfering with each other.

I have a Tp-Link Deco mesh units. The router is put into modem mode and has 1 Ethernet cable to the master deco. I then use a tp-link switch off the master deco for all hardwired connections including to the 2 other decos. A switch is cheap so just didnt worry about losing the ports on the router. This meant when I moved from sky to vm, the WiFi and network remained exactly the same.

Second on this diagram:
Ethernet_backhaul_1614068228173u.png

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for the answers above. I had read about occasional drop outs and a slight lowering of speed. I think if I didn't have the wired connections in existing router I'd give it a try, but not sure it's worth the pfaff now just to cover the odd unreliable signal spot in the house.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think the above answer can work, but can also result in WiFi signals interfering with each other.

I have a Tp-Link Deco mesh units. The router is put into modem mode and has 1 Ethernet cable to the master deco. I then use a tp-link switch off the master deco for all hardwired connections including to the 2 other decos. A switch is cheap so just didnt worry about losing the ports on the router. This meant when I moved from sky to vm, the WiFi and network remained exactly the same.

Second on this diagram:
Ethernet_backhaul_1614068228173u.png

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/

I'm confused about the bit where you say you hard wire the other two deco's in to the ethernet switch. How does that work? I thought only the master unit has to be connected by ethernet and the other units receive the signal from that wirelessly?

Am I misunderstanding?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In a lot of cases all boosters do are share a bad connection around the house.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here