Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Queen Wasps

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A bit random, but I've seen more overwintering queen Wasps this year than ever before. Just an excuse really to share the fact that these valuable insects need a home and a place in our hearts too.

IMG_20211225_153030.jpg

Oh, and can we have a Nature prefix please for future threads?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Wasps ? Stripey arsed ********, they can feck right off.

Bees, on the other hand, great bunch of lads.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
We have a large lavender bush at the front of our house. I've pruned it back now, but when it's in flower, it's always got several bees on it. It's easy to grow, attractive and feeds the bees.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Widening the discussion to solitary bees and bumblebees, many are active even in January.

I grow a fair amount of Pulmonaria and for the first time Hellebores. Invaluable food to these bees in the coming weeks/months.

I think the worry is that as Winters become warmer, Queen Wasps can awake from hibernation too soon and then starve to death when there's not enough food around to sustain them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wasps ? Stripey arsed ********, they can feck right off.

Bees, on the other hand, great bunch of lads.

Both as valuable as each other in any healthy eco system.

I bet if humans could get honey from Wasps, it would be a different story.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Widening the discussion to solitary bees and bumblebees, many are active even in January.

I grow a fair amount of Pulmonaria and for the first time Hellebores. Invaluable food to these bees in the coming weeks/months.

Had I been better prepared the poorly received poppy photo on 'Gardeners' would have also included a bee. (not Chris)
Sadly he left as I was faffing with the camera.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Had I been better prepared the poorly received poppy photo on 'Gardeners' would have also included a bee. (not Chris)
Sadly he left as I was faffing with the camera.

Have you got Opium Poppies? They self see everywhere and are great to leave in dotted strong the place. It's not uncommon to see up to five different bees all busily at work on the same flower head at the same time. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have you got Opium Poppies? They self see everywhere and are great to leave in dotted strong the place. It's not uncommon to see up to five different bees all busily at work on the same flower head at the same time. :thumbsup:

No but it did flower just a couple of weeks ago - clearly much to the apathy of my former friends on Gardeners.

Seemingly there's one more flower which might spring forth, this year or early next, but I'm not sure those on here are worthy of such a miracle.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Screenshot_2021-12-25-16-20-20-799_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg

A still of a video I took. Hard to see here, but there's 5 Bees in there having a party. :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have a large lavender bush at the front of our house. I've pruned it back now, but when it's in flower, it's always got several bees on it. It's easy to grow, attractive and feeds the bees.

Try this one too:
https://downderry-nursery.co.uk/product/gros-bleu/

It gives a much longer flowering season. Sussex Uni’s Prof. Dave Goulson, the world’s leading expert on bumble and solitary bees, found it to be an immense food source for bees.

I’ve got a load of these plants, swarming with multiple species of bees from June to August.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Try this one too:
https://downderry-nursery.co.uk/product/gros-bleu/

It gives a much longer flowering season. Sussex Uni’s Prof. Dave Goulson, the world’s leading expert on bumble and solitary bees, found it to be an immense food source for bees.

I’ve got a load of these plants, swarming with multiple species of bees from June to August.

Thanks very much - they sound excellent. I never knew there were so many varieties!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

They should have put number two as number one. That's the real truth of it, because humans tend to be cvnts like that when it comes to our fellow creatures.

Also, 1,3 and 4 also applies to Wasps :thumbsup:

So basically, that poster is just a load of old bollox. Other than that, as you were.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They should have put number two as number one. That's the real truth of it, because humans tend to be cvnts like that when it comes to our fellow creatures.

Also, 1,3 and 4 also applies to Wasps :thumbsup:

So basically, that poster is just a load of old bollox. Other than that, as you were.

On two occasions I have been stung badly on my back when driving, not sure I was being a c*** to either wasp as they flew into through my open van window and somehow down the back of my shirt.
Luckily l didn’t crash TBH.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On two occasions I have been stung badly on my back when driving, not sure I was being a c*** to either wasp as they flew into through my open van window and somehow down the back of my shirt.
Luckily l didn’t crash TBH.

We had about half a dozen stings at work this year, all from bees. Admittedly, we did have a couple of hives near by.

Had the usual bit of wasp bothering at break times and not a single sting.

See, it works both ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here