Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ray Illingworth.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Passed away aged 89, like many can just recall him leading England in Australia in the 1970/71 Ashes series to victory. Thank you Ray may you R-i-P.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought he had passed away long ago? Sorry to hear of his passing, great old character in the game, RIP Ray.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My only playing memory of him was when he came back to play a season in the Sunday League for Yorkshire at around 50 years old.

Had his troubles as coach and selector, but everyone did back then. Knew his cricket and even the Aussies respected him.

I read he was unwell a while ago and supported assisted suicide. Good that he is now united with his beloved wife.

RIP

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Sad news if expected. Fine player, captain and gentleman. Gave me his autograph at the County Ground, which is more than John Arlott and Ted Dexter did. RIP.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
50 years ago this week.

Illingworth capatin, England take the series at Sydney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCQTPqAU5rY

The one thing I notice about the old series is that, whilst batting and bowling is of a higher standard now, the catching back then was just as exceptional.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sad, but he had a good innings. One of the first on my 'best English cricket team' at school. That was in the days when I could actually name any England cricketers and could give a toss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here