Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] BBC programme about the 1963 freeze

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I was 6 at the time but don't remember it. Probably kept in sonoimpact. I lived near London then so maybe not as bad there.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I remember it well. I was doing my 12 weeks basic training as a firefighter in Reigate. I remember my cold hands suddenly feeling warm as blood rushed into them. in the last 2 weeks I discovered that roads in the town had grass verges.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
What side was it on?

It was on BBC 4. I was 5, and remember not being able to open our doors as they were blocked by the snow and ice. Thick ice on the inside of our windows (no double glazing them them days), running out of coal and logs for the fire (no central heating either), using an electric bar fire in the lounge to keep the family warm, parents searching for change to feed the electric meter, until the power cuts and then there was the frozen water pipes and plumbing.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I was 6 years' old and we had just moved to deepest South Woodingdean (Foxdown Road). We were cut off. My over riding memory is that my mum made me walk to Rottingdean to buy a loaf whilst she stayed in the warm house. The snow drifts along Falmer Road were twice as tall as me. I think mum was trying to kill me. It was good fun sledging down the hill behind the houses in Cowley Drive though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I Was born that year in December, I assume it was a bit warmer by then

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I was 6 years' old and we had just moved to deepest South Woodingdean (Foxdown Road). We were cut off. My over riding memory is that my mum made me walk to Rottingdean to buy a loaf whilst she stayed in the warm house. The snow drifts along Falmer Road were twice as tall as me. I think mum was trying to kill me. It was good fun sledging down the hill behind the houses in Cowley Drive though.

It was 12 Feet in places so you must have been tall.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Was born Jan 63, mum and dad lived in Cowley Drive in the dip b4 the shops. Two ambulances a fire engine and land rover were used to get my mum to the hospital as I was a twin and we were 12 weeks premature. Think the story made the argus at the time

el punal

I was 6 at the time but don't remember it. Probably kept in sonoimpact. I lived near London then so maybe not as bad there.

Oh yes it was! There was a ploughed field at the back of our garden. The snow basically levelled the furrows and then froze solid for weeks creating a flat as a pancake surface. If memory serves me right it got exceptionally cold around the 16th December 1962 and stayed like that for weeks, and of course with a huge dumping of snow. Brrr!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I remember it well. I was doing my 12 weeks basic training as a firefighter in Reigate. I remember my cold hands suddenly feeling warm as blood rushed into them. in the last 2 weeks I discovered that roads in the town had grass verges.

Were you encouraging people to light fires rather than put them out

Last edited:

taz

Feb 18, 2015
As a 5 year old Sent down the hill daily to get a bucket of water from the stand pipe, frozen blue having to put it down every few yards coming back up, and getting the frozen solid bottles of milk off the door step with the foil lids pushed up an inch above the bottle with expansion, hated the cold ever since ��

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was my first winter, having been born the previous June. No surprise that I don’t remember it, but it seems that more winters were snowy back in my youth (or I just had more time to play in it).

The programme was really interesting. Great to see trains running with loads of snow everywhere. Puts Southern to shame!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here