Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time for Premier League players to strike??

PL players to strike?

• Yes

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 52 72.2%
  • Ruel Fox

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I can’t believe that this has got to 6 pages already!
Has any EPL player actually threatened to strike? Isn’t this just a throwaway comment by that tosser Guadiola (I can’t stand the guy) rather than any mass player action?
Blown out of all proportion as usual by our relentless, wankfest, media.

It’s providing plenty of ‘entertainment’ this morning with Jordan and Keown having a go at each other on TS this morning :moo:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
This all comes from Guardiola being unhappy with the scheduling mixed up with covid complications. It is true that PL seems to care more about the tv money than either players or fans but players have got themselves on the wrong side of the argument by appearing not to respect covid protocols or in some cases getting jabbed.

Having said that there is an interesting article in the "I" today pointing out how the PL relegation scrap has been unbalanced with Watford having not played for 3 weeks and Leeds for 2. This while Newcastle play through and Everton forced to play with 5 injured and 6 with covid. It could be argued that clubs with less responsible players are being given an advantage they don't deserve. A mini break for all might have been better.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
And fans could go on strike by not paying subscription fees!!! But they won't.

Look at NSC and just see how many are begging TB to splash the cash on a striker.

I know you are right [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION]. Everybody in the chain gets what they deserve one way or another!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
So you didn't read about multi millionaire Eric Clapton taking a German woman to court for the audacity of trying to sell a bootleg cd on ebay?

You've never heard tales of pop stars throwing tantrums because of the wrong bottled water in their touring bus etc etc.

What’s that got to do with a strike or giving up their career. Childlike tantrums just shows immaturity of an individual. Also What does Clapton suing someone have to with this?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
PL is football is about nothing but money. It drives everything.

Take it you don't go to games then.

When I'm watching, I'm not thinking about how much each player earns. When the players are on the pitch I'm guessing they're not thinking what they're going to spend then next pay check on.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yep, you would love that, being one of the covid fearmongering, forever-in-lockdown crowd on this forum.

Oh do **** off. I'm amazed you have the nerve to show up. LEAVE.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don’t blame them, with their pay and conditions it must be very difficult for them. Poor lambs.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Take it you don't go to games then.

When I'm watching, I'm not thinking about how much each player earns. When the players are on the pitch I'm guessing they're not thinking what they're going to spend then next pay check on.

Yes but there again you are one of the very few people who appears to argue when anyone has a difficulty with the club or the league or with the way anything is run. Almost any thread of this sort and you'll find a way to disagree.

I think most the people I know who are long time supporters feel similarly about modern football.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
PL is football is about nothing but money. It drives everything.
Exactly. It's what's driving football above all else and has degraded the game immensely. All the cheating and play acting wasn't around in the past before the PL came along. It's polluted the game out of all recognition and now the rewards are so high for success and the costs so dramatic in failure that it pervades good sportsmanship. The latest example of multitudes of players pretending to have head injuries like the Newcastle ones recently are a great example.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes but there again you are one of the very few people who appears to argue when anyone has a difficulty with the club or the league or with the way anything is run. Almost any thread of this sort and you'll find a way to disagree.

I think most the people I know who are long time supporters feel similarly about modern football.

Well I've had disagreements with PB and have exchanged emails on certain subjects so I'm not automatically 100% behind everything the club do.

Just for the record, my first game was when Clough was manager. The atmosphere at the Goldstone, when full, was brilliant but the ground itself was a shithole. In my view, football is better now than it was in the 70s. Better stadia, better players, better pitches. When I go to away games, I'm not herded along the road by the police to the ground and then back again after the game.

Do I envy players what they earn, not really, but then I don't worry about what pop stars earn or leaders in industry etc. The only thing that would concern me if they're not paying their fair share of tax!

There is a lot of money in football and if it's going to anyone it should be the footballers and not 'investor' owners.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Exactly. It's what's driving football above all else and has degraded the game immensely. All the cheating and play acting wasn't around in the past before the PL came along. It's polluted the game out of all recognition and now the rewards are so high for success and the costs so dramatic in failure that it pervades good sportsmanship. The latest example of multitudes of players pretending to have head injuries like the Newcastle ones recently are a great example.

I agree that the cheating and play acting wasn't around as much before the PL but I would suggest that's more to do with the influence of overseas players rather than the money. It could easily be rectified if we had referees that were fit for purpose but I guess that's another thread.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Elite level anything is all about business and money, F1, PL, IPL, etc etc, you need to drop several rungs before you get to competition driven sport. It's impossible to define but sunday league and banger racing are purer sporting events than PL or F1

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The risk of serious issues for Premier League players from Covid is close to if not completely 0%, especially from Omicron, as confirmed by our scientists today.

Your relentless campaign of Covid scaremongering on this website to the point of sharing DM clickbait articles like this one is a joke, yet despite this I'll be the one banned from this thread again for pointing it out, as your post goes along with the narrative that is being enforced on this website by those in charge and disagreeing with it is not an option here.

We all want to be free... but first we need to accept that covid hospitalisations are as low as they will ever be, and the threat of covid has always been extremely low for healthy people anyway. Especially young and healthy people. Even more so for the vaccinated... and even more so again with the omicron variant.

Stop your scaremongering and let us get on with our lives. The Premier League footballers will be fine and they know it, despite this DM shit stirring, click bait article.

Completely untrue. Below are hospitalizations in London. London is where omicron is most rampant. It is far too early to dismiss the effect of omicron.

That said, this is indeed an inappropriate thread. There have been far too may people recently bereaved by covid for piss-takling joke threads.

hospitalia.PNG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I get all that but I’d prefer to side with the views of a a friend ( a front line nurse) who popped round to us today. She tells us that pressure is building on her hospital as a consequence of covid admissions ( the majority unvaccinated) combined with staff absence due to covid. She’s angry and frustrated that she’d prefer to be giving priority treatment to non covid patients rather than those who have put themselves ( and others) at higher risk by choosing not to get vaccinated.

Quite.

It is a shame this clickbait joke thread is the one having to host sensible comments like yours. Funny old world.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree that the cheating and play acting wasn't around as much before the PL but I would suggest that's more to do with the influence of overseas players rather than the money. It could easily be rectified if we had referees that were fit for purpose but I guess that's another thread.

Absolute bollocks, we produced some of the best shithouse players. :rolleyes:

Hi stakes = high risk

TOtally agree about officials, not fit for purpose in the PL, which is an embarassment, at least it should be for the PL and refs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here