Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time for Premier League players to strike??

PL players to strike?

• Yes

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 52 72.2%
  • Ruel Fox

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Premier League footballers are all young, fit and are unlikely to have any undiagnosed issues as they keep on having medicals so are at a low risk of getting a serious case of Covid. However with the fitness levels required in top flight football a case of long Covid could keep them out of a team for months and could reduce the value of a multi-million pound asset for the club.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Do you do the same analysis for pop singers earning millions, or golfers who earn a good living for just finishing in the top 100 of any tournament. Or maybe a woman who earns over £400m a year just because people like a little gamble here and there.

If the money didn't go to the players, who should it go to?

Haven’t seen a pop singer or golfer complain - either get on with it or like the rest of us change career

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
They play less now than before with bigger squads more subs, better pitches, better physio, better treatment get real .

Did you not see Gary Linekar presenting MOTD in his mobility scooter and that stair lift that Chris Kamara had installed in his gaff?

Dangerous stuff football. Not like a walk in the park working in a mine or covid infested hospital for example.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have not read all post but no way will players strike. Again will never happen but would like to see days strike by supporters in protest at ticket prices,KO times etc.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
The risk of serious issues for Premier League players from Covid is close to if not completely 0%, especially from Omicron, as confirmed by our scientists today.

Your relentless campaign of Covid scaremongering on this website to the point of sharing DM clickbait articles like this one is a joke, yet despite this I'll be the one banned from this thread again for pointing it out, as your post goes along with the narrative that is being enforced on this website by those in charge and disagreeing with it is not an option here.

We all want to be free... but first we need to accept that covid hospitalisations are as low as they will ever be, and the threat of covid has always been extremely low for healthy people anyway. Especially young and healthy people. Even more so for the vaccinated... and even more so again with the omicron variant.

Stop your scaremongering and let us get on with our lives. The Premier League footballers will be fine and they know it, despite this DM shit stirring, click bait article.

Could not agree more about scaremongering. The BBC are the worst took them over a day to report Omicron variant is not as dangerous as first thought. Not all of us can work from home but the ones who can, don't they love preaching about keeping safe.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
No, they’re not really. If we’re talking about roles with an unhealthy relationship between pay and personal risk, stress or sacrifice, I think it’s fair to say there are plenty in the queue ahead of Premier League footballers.

I took on a new role in February which has led to me regularly working 70+ hours a week (admittedly mostly from my home office) with much higher stress levels, generally speaking. Naturally, that’s not amazing for work / life balance, particularly when I have a young family. But ultimately I took it on for improved financial benefits, improved long-term prospects and because I find the nature of the job itself inherently interesting and exiting - I fúcking enjoy it.

Ultimately though, I knew what I was getting into. If, one day I believe the ratio between financial benefit and the personal toll it takes on me (and, even more pertinently, my relationship with my wife and kids) is no longer appropriate, my answer won’t be to go on strike because ultimately the parameters of the job I took on won’t have changed. Instead, I’ll have to go and do something less stressful and demanding, on the understanding that I’ll probably be paid a lot less for my troubles. Footballers have this option too, but will very rarely take it, not because they can’t afford to (5 years at that level and most will be set for life), but because the ratio between the upsides and the downsides of the job is just so immensely favourable.

So no, they shouldn’t strike. No one is forcing them to do anything; they’re simply working to the demands of market forces, the very same market forces which have made them so incredibly wealthy in the first place.

This 👍

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Have not read all post but no way will players strike. Again will never happen but would like to see days strike by supporters in protest at ticket prices,KO times etc.

And this 👍. Just imagine what fan power could do if coordinated nationally

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Absolutely.

On the understanding that they will forfeit every penny of their wages whilst on strike. I doubt if most PL players (and their agents) have grasped that part of the deal yet,

Absolutely, if they want to. And the TV companies can withhold their money if they want to. And the TV companies can offer to pay less for future contracts if they want. And the clubs can offer far lower salaries on each new player contract if they want. And the players can suck it up or leave and do something else if they want to. I'm all for it 👍🎅

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Haven’t seen a pop singer or golfer complain - either get on with it or like the rest of us change career

So you didn't read about multi millionaire Eric Clapton taking a German woman to court for the audacity of trying to sell a bootleg cd on ebay?

You've never heard tales of pop stars throwing tantrums because of the wrong bottled water in their touring bus etc etc.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The PL players should maybe look a bit to the past before they consider taking any laughable strike action. Back in the 70s Liverpool managed to win every trophy going and across the whole season only used something like 17 players across 62 games. The pitches were much boggier during the winter and the game was much more physical than it is now. Today's PL footballer is overpaid and cossetted IMHO

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Absolutely, if they want to. And the TV companies can withhold their money if they want to. And the TV companies can offer to pay less for future contracts if they want. And the clubs can offer far lower salaries on each new player contract if they want. And the players can suck it up or leave and do something else if they want to. I'm all for it 👍🎅

And fans could go on strike by not paying subscription fees!!! But they won't.

Look at NSC and just see how many are begging TB to splash the cash on a striker.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The PL players should maybe look a bit to the past before they consider taking any laughable strike action. Back in the 70s Liverpool managed to win every trophy going and across the whole season only used something like 17 players across 62 games. The pitches were much boggier during the winter and the game was much more physical than it is now. Today's PL footballer is overpaid and cossetted IMHO

Out of interest, which players are threatening strike action?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

But far less likely to have their later years blighted by knee replacements or cut short in a fog of degenerative brain injuries, which on a human level, surely has to be a good thing.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I can’t believe that this has got to 6 pages already!
Has any EPL player actually threatened to strike? Isn’t this just a throwaway comment by that tosser Guadiola (I can’t stand the guy) rather than any mass player action?
Blown out of all proportion as usual by our relentless, wankfest, media.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
IF I/you were on £50-£250k a week, why would one go on strike?

The very thought of the idea is the polar opposite of a professional mercenary

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can’t believe that this has got to 6 pages already!
Has any EPL player actually threatened to strike? Isn’t this just a throwaway comment by that tosser Guadiola (I can’t stand the guy) rather than any mass player action?
Blown out of all proportion as usual by our relentless, wankfest, media.

You're banging your head against the proverbial brick wall.

People won't listen as it renders their jealousy redundant on this particular thread.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if the strike is over general fixtures, campaign to get international games cut back and review the cup strucutre, maybe.

if the strike is over congestion due to corona when many of their members havent vaccinated and wilfully not sought to protect themselves, they are badly mis-reading the room.

Guardiola is stirring because foreign managers in this country seem to fixate on the christmas schedule.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here