Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time for Premier League players to strike??

PL players to strike?

• Yes

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 52 72.2%
  • Ruel Fox

Votes: 7 9.7%

• Total voters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Ffs......premier league players earning more in a week than most do in a year and they are worried for their welfare!! They work in bubbles, have luxury lifestyle, can afford virtually anything they want and are worried that their job is putting too much demand on them!!������

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The risk of serious issues for Premier League players from Covid is close to if not completely 0%, especially from Omicron, as confirmed by our scientists today.

Your relentless campaign of Covid scaremongering on this website to the point of sharing DM clickbait articles like this one is a joke, yet despite this I'll be the one banned from this thread again for pointing it out, as your post goes along with the narrative that is being enforced on this website by those in charge and disagreeing with it is not an option here.

We all want to be free... but first we need to accept that covid hospitalisations are as low as they will ever be, and the threat of covid has always been extremely low for healthy people anyway. Especially young and healthy people. Even more so for the vaccinated... and even more so again with the omicron variant.

Stop your scaremongering and let us get on with our lives. The Premier League footballers will be fine and they know it, despite this DM shit stirring, click bait article.

This coming from the guy who only a few months ago was declaring the pandemic over!!!

Hospitalisations are currently going up with about 7.5k of which 850+ are in intensive care.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
The risk of serious issues for Premier League players from Covid is close to if not completely 0%, especially from Omicron, as confirmed by our scientists today.

Your relentless campaign of Covid scaremongering on this website to the point of sharing DM clickbait articles like this one is a joke, yet despite this I'll be the one banned from this thread again for pointing it out, as your post goes along with the narrative that is being enforced on this website by those in charge and disagreeing with it is not an option here.

We all want to be free... but first we need to accept that covid hospitalisations are as low as they will ever be, and the threat of covid has always been extremely low for healthy people anyway. Especially young and healthy people. Even more so for the vaccinated... and even more so again with the omicron variant.

Stop your scaremongering and let us get on with our lives. The Premier League footballers will be fine and they know it, despite this DM shit stirring, click bait article.
What happened to your request to have your account deleted a couple of weeks ago?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Your relentless campaign of Covid scaremongering on this website to the point of sharing DM clickbait articles like this one is a joke, yet despite this I'll be the one banned from this thread again for pointing it out, as this goes along with the narrative that is being enforced on this website by those in charge.

I get all that but I’d prefer to side with the views of a a friend ( a front line nurse) who popped round to us today. She tells us that pressure is building on her hospital as a consequence of covid admissions ( the majority unvaccinated) combined with staff absence due to covid. She’s angry and frustrated that she’d prefer to be giving priority treatment to non covid patients rather than those who have put themselves ( and others) at higher risk by choosing not to get vaccinated.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
PL players increasingly concerned about their welfare,Danny Rose previously claimed they are treated like 'lab rats'.

Is it time for PL players to strike for their own welfare?

The PFA say they could SUPPORT a Premier League player strike https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10340797/The-PFA-say-SUPPORT-potential-strike-Premier-League-players.html?ito=native_share_article-top

No, they just need to all get their vaccines and self ban their own players who refuse

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

The quote was from the PFA, I'm retiring from the covid sub board, this was simply a question of whether the PL players are right to consider striking?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Phew! More £££s for NSC. Not sure how the rest of us kept the lights on last week.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
they have the right to unionise and take industrial action just as much as any other group of workers. though I appreciate that's not really the question being asked here

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester

Shame your account wasn't deleted and all your covid drivel removed like you requested.

Are you not embarrassed?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
PL players increasingly concerned about their welfare,Danny Rose previously claimed they are treated like 'lab rats'.

Is it time for PL players to strike for their own welfare?

The PFA say they could SUPPORT a Premier League player strike https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10340797/The-PFA-say-SUPPORT-potential-strike-Premier-League-players.html?ito=native_share_article-top

Tell them they got to pack up and get a proper job . Sure they will shit themselves at the very thought of it and carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The article and topic in general is not about Covid in itself, but the fixture congestion.

Football is one of the more dangerous professions in modern society. Workplaces where every week on average one out of 23 employees sustain workplace injuries are quite unusual. This risk is amplified when they play a lot of games in a short amount of time. Sure, they earn a lot of money but many people rightfully think that health is more important than wealth. I know numerous ex-players who are unable to go for a jog because they have destroyed themselves doing elite sports. 40-50% players take painkillers before every game.

Football causes a lot of chronic problems in a lot of players and I think it is fully understandable if they are getting tired of the ever increasing number of fixtures and I think they have all the right in the world to protest that, regardless of how much they make.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
If it bothers them that much, I'll gladly be treated poorly for tens of thousands of pounds per week in place of them.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ffs......premier league players earning more in a week than most do in a year and they are worried for their welfare!! They work in bubbles, have luxury lifestyle, can afford virtually anything they want and are worried that their job is putting too much demand on them!!

Why does what they earn have any relevance to them being concerned about their health? I never understand this weird viewpoint about footballers, that because they earn lots of money they are somehow immune from everything else. It’s bizarre. Actually it’s probably just simple jealousy. It’s a bit sad really.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

If you don't the the Board, the posters, the mods and the owner then feel free to flounce again!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
The quote was from the PFA, I'm retiring from the covid sub board, this was simply a question of whether the PL players are right to consider striking?

No, they’re not really. If we’re talking about roles with an unhealthy relationship between pay and personal risk, stress or sacrifice, I think it’s fair to say there are plenty in the queue ahead of Premier League footballers.

I took on a new role in February which has led to me regularly working 70+ hours a week (admittedly mostly from my home office) with much higher stress levels, generally speaking. Naturally, that’s not amazing for work / life balance, particularly when I have a young family. But ultimately I took it on for improved financial benefits, improved long-term prospects and because I find the nature of the job itself inherently interesting and exiting - I fúcking enjoy it.

Ultimately though, I knew what I was getting into. If, one day I believe the ratio between financial benefit and the personal toll it takes on me (and, even more pertinently, my relationship with my wife and kids) is no longer appropriate, my answer won’t be to go on strike because ultimately the parameters of the job I took on won’t have changed. Instead, I’ll have to go and do something less stressful and demanding, on the understanding that I’ll probably be paid a lot less for my troubles. Footballers have this option too, but will very rarely take it, not because they can’t afford to (5 years at that level and most will be set for life), but because the ratio between the upsides and the downsides of the job is just so immensely favourable.

So no, they shouldn’t strike. No one is forcing them to do anything; they’re simply working to the demands of market forces, the very same market forces which have made them so incredibly wealthy in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here