Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Listening to Gospel Music at this time of year

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I can't stand most "music played at Christmas" probably due to getting older and it being all too over familiar. While not a religious man in any way, today, I realised I am fond of a bit of Gospel music at this religious time of year. Not sure why but maybe because I can't really abide Xmas and I find Gospel lyrics uplifting. Yet I know diddly stuff to listen to. My only albums I have so far are a funk gospel complilation Good God! A Gospel Funk Hymnal_Various Artists (2006)

and Ben Harper with the Blind Boys of Alabama

plus a bit of Elvis sings gospel of course.

For the muso's on here, any Gospel recommendations? Would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
For the muso's on here, any Gospel recommendations? Would be much appreciated.

Don't forget that Aretha Franklin had a background in Gospel Music and made some upbeat albums including "Amazing Grace" and "The Gospel Sound of Aretha Franklin".
Search for anything by "Sister Rosetta Tharpe" who's style if not her material inspired many Rockers.
Probably the greatest ever female gospel singer (in a gentler manner) was "Mahalia Jackson" who is worth listening to.

Try for these names on YouTube to see if they appeal to you.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Atheist Jew, but I love a bit of gospel. My all time favourites are The Pilgrim Travellers and The Soul Stirrers with Sam Cooke. But my all time favourite tune is

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Don't forget that Aretha Franklin had a background in Gospel Music and made some upbeat albums including "Amazing Grace" and "The Gospel Sound of Aretha Franklin".
Search for anything by "Sister Rosetta Tharpe" who's style if not her material inspired many Rockers.
Probably the greatest ever female gospel singer (in a gentler manner) was "Mahalia Jackson" who is worth listening to.

Try for these names on YouTube to see if they appeal to you.

Aha, yes how could I forget Aretha. Thanks for the recommendations, will definitely search them out on my Tidal account.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Atheist Jew, but I love a bit of gospel. My all time favourites are The Pilgrim Travellers and The Soul Stirrers with Sam Cooke. But my all time favourite tune is

And thanks again. I've got a big Sam Cooke boxset which, doh, I forgot all about. Love later Sam Cooke, forgot he did Gospel earlier.

My op may not get many views or replies but these replies are the reason I love NSC :banana:

As I say, I'm not religious but i do find Gospel very beautiful and uplifting at this time of year.

edit - and this is a cracking tune!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here