Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Truly Scrumptious RIP

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://officiallondontheatre.com/n...jFuYVytWlLaOGqw749yR-_YmCRZA20vIPNWUNJcvIbaOg

Truly_20Scrumptious.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
:down: an all time favourite film of mine, sad day, hoping it'll be shown on the box over Christmas, although I do have it on DVD.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P Sally Ann.

What a great film CCBB was, and it's amazing to think Dick Van Dyke is still going strong at 96.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Toot Sweets would seem to be a great diet given it got both of these stars into their 90's. Farewell Truly, you will be missed Scrumptious lady.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you like seeing films set in Brighton, look out for Pink String and Sealing Wax in which SAH plays a major part. She's also in Dead of Night, one of the best ghost story films I've seen.

Quite a career and a lot more than CCBB.

RIP

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
First film I ever went to see at the cinema, probably never got the Hollywood big break she deserved after CCBB but still had a illustrious career on stage and TV.

RIP

PS Dick Van Dyke still going strong at 96, having been clean and sober for over 50 years, and with Mrs Van D Mark 3 who's only just turned 50!

Well played old boy :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If you like seeing films set in Brighton, look out for Pink String and Sealing Wax in which SAH plays a major part. She's also in Dead of Night, one of the best ghost story films I've seen.

Quite a career and a lot more than CCBB.

RIP

Indeed, and I especially echo that comment about Dead of Night. Apparently during the war they weren't allowed to make horror films (probably on the reasonable assumption that the war was horrific enough), so that was one of the first if not the first post-war horror film. And even that had a comic section (the golf story).

She was also in another great ghost film: The Halfway House (1944). Notable for the bit of film trivia that the father/daughter characters in the film were played by a real-life father/daughter combination: Mervyn and Glynis Johns. (And to get back to classic childrens' films: Glynis Johns played Mrs Banks in Mary Poppins).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And to get back to classic childrens' films: Glynis Johns played Mrs Banks in Mary Poppins).

And is also still with us, she turned 98 a few months ago.

Children's films are good for longevity, it seems

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Another part of my childhood gone.

The scene that ALWAYS sticks in my mind is when DvD first opens the garage doors, and our comes an immaculate restored CCBB, with gleaming chrome and beautiful glossed wood, having seen the rusting wreck it started out as. As a kid, I found that bit absolutely spellbinding.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Truly Scrumptious, such a memorable character and in one of the all time classics. RIP Sally Ann.

Does anyone remember seeing the original CCBB car which used to be on display in Heathfield wildlife park?

There used to be a small animal zoo there in those days, opened in 1972 and closed in 1984. We lived in East View and our neighbour saw a porcupine in her garden once!

https://www.zooguides.org.uk/Heathfield/index.htm

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Does anyone remember seeing the original CCBB car which used to be on display in Heathfield wildlife park?

There used to be a small animal zoo there in those days, opened in 1972 and closed in 1984. We lived in East View and our neighbour saw a porcupine in her garden once!

Had my pic taken, sitting on it with Jon Pertwee of all people.

Who knows?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

I seem to remember being taken to see it at Brighton station.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Saw CCBB as a kid at the cinema, in the days of breaks in the film (do they still have them, with the ice cream lady walking down the isles?). The break came just as CCBB was driven off the cliff. Now THAT is a cliffhanger if ever there was one.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I think I may be the only one who watches CCBB up to when the car starts flying then getting bored and switching over because the 2nd half is a bit crap.
Also possible that Essex wide boy, wannabe Mod and wheeler dealer Mike Brewer was behind the selling negotiation and restoration, but I can't be certain of that.
Also against the promotion of sugery sweets being given to dogs.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
My partner taught a Truly scrumptious, Brighton middle class parents love a loopy name.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I seem to remember being taken to see it at Brighton station.

CCBB was on for the summer season at The Regent Cinema and they had a full size mock up of the car above the entrance canopy, (separate to the one at the Station)
Also remember at Brighton Station they had the 'Moon Buggy' from the James Bond film Diamonds are Forever when it first came out.

190827-daf-moon-buggy.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here