Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Happy shortest day

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Winter Solstice today.

Enjoy your 2 mins 7 Seconds of more daylight from now on.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Not only does the solstice occur on a specific day, but it also occurs at a specific time of day, corresponding to the instant the North Pole is aimed farthest away from the sun on the 23.5° tilt of the Earth's axis. This is also the time when the sun shines directly over the Tropic of Capricorn. In 2021, this moment occurs at 3:59 p.m. UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) on December 21. For those on Eastern Standard Time, the solstice will occur at 10:59 a.m on December 21. And regardless of where you live, the solstice happens at the same moment for everyone on the planet.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I cycled to work this morning ( new job close enough to home ) for the first time in 20 odd years it was really nice to be able to do but will be so much nicer when its not bloody dark

mightily impressed with my new bike lights though. things have moved on a bit since sturmey archer dynamo and ever ready boat anchors.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
My favourite day of the year! The only way is up from here, until the longest day of the year...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We will gain 2 seconds tomorrow, but the mornings keep getting darker till Jan 5th.

Capture.PNG

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I cycled to work this morning ( new job close enough to home ) for the first time in 20 odd years it was really nice to be able to do but will be so much nicer when its not bloody dark

mightily impressed with my new bike lights though. things have moved on a bit since sturmey archer dynamo and ever ready boat anchors.

Tell me about it. I walk my dog at night along the coast footpath between Shoreham and Lancing. The tw@ts on their bikes with the super bright LED light are just blinding and I have to stop to get any vision back from being blinded.

Fortunately most riders don't have lights like that and some even put their hands over the light to dim it. But there's always 1 or 2. :rant:

Rant over.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thank f*ck for that!

THIS

Roll on spring and summer!

As much as I love a cold, crisp winter's day, I am finding the long nights f*cking depressing this year and cannot wait to have a bit of light before and after work. It seems that it's either dark, or I'm at my desk (probably because I am)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not only does the solstice occur on a specific day, but it also occurs at a specific time of day, corresponding to the instant the North Pole is aimed farthest away from the sun on the 23.5° tilt of the Earth's axis. This is also the time when the sun shines directly over the Tropic of Capricorn. In 2021, this moment occurs at 3:59 p.m. UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) on December 21. For those on Eastern Standard Time, the solstice will occur at 10:59 a.m on December 21. And regardless of where you live, the solstice happens at the same moment for everyone on the planet.[/QUOTE}

I think a conversation with you would soon send me to sleep! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My dad died 30 years ago today…. I never forget the winter Solstice……… I smile on this day thinking of him and his antics.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Tell me about it. I walk my dog at night along the coast footpath between Shoreham and Lancing. The tw@ts on their bikes with the super bright LED light are just blinding and I have to stop to get any vision back from being blinded.

Fortunately most riders don't have lights like that and some even put their hands over the light to dim it. But there's always 1 or 2. :rant:

Rant over.

I hate flashing lights . . .2 reasons, first they're off half the time so you can miss (and possibly hit) a cyclist in a car secondly they're a migraine/epileptic fit waiting to happen

Call me old fashioned, but I dimmed mine front and rear as the max setting is too much for most use . . . and the front points down to the road ahead of me, not at you. It's an MOT failure on a motorbike/scoooter.

both are either on, or off.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
My favourite day of the year! The only way is up from here, until the longest day of the year...

Exactly. Mentally it's a big thing for people that suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I love it when we get past 5pm, into the short month of February and spring is only a few weeks away. Bring it on! :clap2:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Not only does the solstice occur on a specific day, but it also occurs at a specific time of day, corresponding to the instant the North Pole is aimed farthest away from the sun on the 23.5° tilt of the Earth's axis. This is also the time when the sun shines directly over the Tropic of Capricorn. In 2021, this moment occurs at 3:59 p.m. UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) on December 21. For those on Eastern Standard Time, the solstice will occur at 10:59 a.m on December 21. And regardless of where you live, the solstice happens at the same moment for everyone on the planet.
You'd enjoy Brian Cox Universe. Mind blowing.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Exactly. Mentally it's a big thing for people that suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I love it when we get past 5pm, into the short month of February and spring is only a few weeks away. Bring it on! :clap2:
I suffered badly with it in the UK and would get very depressed over the winter months. Leaving work at 5pm in February and it still being light was always a big lift for me.
It improved a bit when living in Ireland as it's further west so would get around an hour extra light in the afternoon. This was offset a little by it not getting light until almost 9am.
I live in South America now and have a pretty even 12 hours of light and dark.
I kind of miss a little the very long summer nights of England but not that much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here