Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Your utility bills 2022 and on.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Caught Martin Lewes on TV recently talking about utility bills and his advice was basically sit tight and do nothing if you can at the moment. We are with Ovo Energy and our current fixed price deal ends mid March 2022. I have already spoken with them and around sixty days before our deal expires they will e mail us what will be available, basically pay as you go,fix for one or maybe two years and then a three year fixed deal effectively the actual unit price and therm price has doubled gas i can understand with what is in the current news yet electric and most if i am right at Ovo is renewable so what is going on there with that unit price and secondly are other NSC in the same position as in not really knowing what to do regards utility deals ?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sit tight with any renewals at the moment.
As ML said, the prices are capped at below cost price. Therefor any 'fixed for x years' price will be above the capped price.
But you are right to ask why all those windmills off Brighton coast aren't bringing down electric prices.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I am with BG and my fix ends at end of Feb. I will go on the capped tariff and only fix if costs come down massively

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
We are too are with OVO, our current fixed plan ends Feb 2022, we will do nothing and hence move to their variable plan.

Unit costs will increase by 26% for Electric and 32% for Gas, standing charges increase by 8% for Electric and 10% for Gas, by being moved onto their variable plan (still cheaper than their fixed tariffs),

As for wind generation than you can see how much is being generated towards the countries needs here: https://energynumbers.info/gbgrid

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But you are right to ask why all those windmills off Brighton coast aren't bringing down electric prices.

because wind doesnt provide sufficent power to cover use. and requires quite a lot gas backup for when the wind doesnt blow.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Caught Martin Lewes on TV recently talking about utility bills and his advice was basically sit tight and do nothing if you can at the moment. We are with Ovo Energy and our current fixed price deal ends mid March 2022. I have already spoken with them and around sixty days before our deal expires they will e mail us what will be available, basically pay as you go,fix for one or maybe two years and then a three year fixed deal effectively the actual unit price and therm price has doubled gas i can understand with what is in the current news yet electric and most if i am right at Ovo is renewable so what is going on there with that unit price and secondly are other NSC in the same position as in not really knowing what to do regards utility deals ?

Octopus actually recommend on their 'switch to Octopus' website that whoever you are with at the moment, you shouldn't switch to Octopus (or anyone else), as you simply won't get a better deal than the one you were on. I thought that was quite responsible - actually turning away potential business.

As for knowing what to do - although in credit, I upped my monthly payments some months back, so when my deal comes to an end in March like yours, the increase won't be so sudden.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
We are with SO Energy - managed to lock into a decent fixed rate in August before the prices really started climbing.

We pay £95 a month for gas/elec - but have built up a current credit balance of £295 over the 16 months we've been with them. Usually I would be claiming that back - but leaving it where it is to help offset the increase next year when it comes!

We joined a 'trial' they were doing with a company called GenGame which is all about helping people reduce energy consumption ... lots of hints and tips etc. We get a weekly notification of how well we've done re energy used versus anticipated usage ... and a daily colour code rating from green to red.

If you do well at reducing usage you get points that can be entered for Amazon vouchers. Maybe a bit gimmicky but it doesn't cost anything and even it helps save a bit of energy usage/money ... every little helps!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here