Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Game Week 20 to be postponed?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can a mod add a ? To the end of my subject

Motion tabled for PL meeting tomorrow to suggest postponement of game week 20 (28th-30th Dec)

Can’t see how that makes sense - so run game week 19 (Boxing Day) but not games 2 days later

Also I can see Amazon wanting a big fat rebate. I bet advertising is ££££ between Christmas and new year compared to a random week in Feb/Mar

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If they are cancelling a whole match week on mass, wouldn’t it make sense to just play them on that free week in Feb which was meant to be the break.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My gut feeling is that games will be played if possible but that there will be clarification on postponement rules

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Wouldn't be great if true, we'll lose to Chelsea postponement or not - Brentford game much more key, and can see it being another frustrating night like Wolves unless more first teamers are fit and ready.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wouldn't be great if true, we'll lose to Chelsea postponement or not - Brentford game much more key, and can see it being another frustrating night like Wolves unless first teamers are fit and ready.

With Brentford having a few weeks off to be fit and raring to go, see Spurs v Liverpool

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Money will prove that it's is more important than health

If health was important - the player vaccination rate would be higher than 59%

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
https://theathletic.com/3025410/202...f-festive-fixtures/?source=emp_shared_article

That's the Amazon Prime round of games. They won't be too happy if they end up in dribs and drabs through the season.

I reckon Amazon Prime would prefer it if their televised fixtures are spread over several random weeks rather than restricted to one week only.
It will allow them far more exposure than all being squeezed into a couple of days with some currently being scheduled to kick-off at the same time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I reckon Amazon Prime would prefer it if their televised fixtures are spread over several random weeks rather than restricted to one week only.
It will allow them far more exposure than all being squeezed into a couple of days with some currently being scheduled to kick-off at the same time.

Advertising though with Boxing Day / new year sales …?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Advertising though with Boxing Day / new year sales …?

No the reason Amazon show football is to try and get more Prime subscribers. Once you’ve got a Prime subscription you end up buying more stuff from them over the year as you get free delivery. They’re not hoping to shift more inventory that’s reduced in sales but trying to get more subscribers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Game Week 20 to be postponed

No the reason Amazon show football is to try and get more Prime subscribers. Once you’ve got a Prime subscription you end up buying more stuff from them over the year as you get free delivery. They’re not hoping to shift more inventory that’s reduced in sales but trying to get more subscribers.

But they show adverts / sell advertising space … no? Otherwise why do they always take their game weeks in December (one before, one after Christmas) - as opposed to any other month

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If they are cancelling a whole match week on mass, wouldn’t it make sense to just play them on that free week in Feb which was meant to be the break.

There is still international games at the same time. There are no games for UEFA nations but some other areas have World Cup qualifiers so lots of PL teams could be missing key players and its doubtful they’ll agree to the matches being played that week, that’s in addition to those that have already lost players for the African Cup of Nations that is also going on at that time.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Makes no sense to me. If you’re going to cancel those games why not Boxing Day as well? I think I know the answer but I’m sick of this greedy money grabbing nonsense.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The season is all to **** already anyway.

A fairly large proportion of players refuse to step up and get vaccinated, for whatever reason, putting others at risk. Unsurprisingly, squads are riddled with Covid, the PL have shown zero leadership or transparency and as a result the integrity of the competition is already deeply compromised. Frankly, I don’t really care what they do this season now, I’m pretty much done with it.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
well with a pandemic and fact that viruses always get worse in winter you would have thought playing less games in middle of winter might have occurred to someone compiling the fixture list

but no, this December and New Year weekend fixture list was 8 of the seasons PL fixture list in five weeks or so ( when some months are only 3 PL games ) and next December is world cup

any common themes like TV contracts ....

the pandemic will get progressively better over time ... but needs to be taken into account for a while longer ..whether everyone likes it or not

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
well with a pandemic and fact that viruses always get worse in winter you would have thought playing less games in middle of winter might have occurred to someone compiling the fixture list

but no, this December and New Year weekend fixture list was 8 of the seasons PL fixture list in five weeks or so ( when some months are only 3 PL games ) and next December is world cup

any common themes like TV contracts ....

the pandemic will get progressively better over time ... but needs to be taken into account for a while longer ..whether everyone likes it or not

They have thought about it for next year ..cancelled the PL for most of November and December:whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here