Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Smug Eddie - 'very unjust'

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Perhaps if your players didn't roll around on the floor clutching their face all the time - the ref would have a chance of knowing whether it was serious or not. If your mob are anything like Wolves then I don't blame him. It showed the inexperience of the ref for that game that he kept falling for it. One day someone will be seriously hurt... so stop your players from acting like twats and refs will take them seriously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59692868

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe said it was "very unjust" Liverpool scored while Isaac Hayden lay on the ground with a head injury in the Reds' 3-1 win.

Howe's side went ahead through Jonjo Shelvey but Diogo Jota's equaliser was awarded by referee Mike Dean despite Hayden lying in the penalty box.

"Two of our players were on the floor and one was holding his head," he said.

"The game should have been stopped immediately because the focus should have been on Isaac's welfare."

Howe, whose side remain 19th in the Premier League table, added: "We had two players out of the game that would be defending that cross and I think that's very unjust."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm having a hard time regarding the NSC narrative of Wolves' timewasting.

In the unlikely event of the Albion ever again being 1-0 up with 5 minutes plus to go we, we ALL, will be baying for Albion players to hit the deck as if there was a sniper in the WSU.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Perhaps if your players didn't roll around on the floor clutching their face all the time - the ref would have a chance of knowing whether it was serious or not. If your mob are anything like Wolves then I don't blame him. ."

Let's be balanced here. Connolly also did it rather obviously against Wolves.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Have to say Wolves were a joke at Selhurst back in November. The Wolves physio didn't even bother moving off the bench, He knew the players had been told to play act.

Remember Smug Eddie at Selhurst a few season back with B'muff and the time wasting was a proper piss take. Refs seem happy to allow it to continue unfortunately.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Hayden was slightly brushed by his own player and was clearly trying to halt a dangerous Liverpool attack by going down. Players are doing this far too often these days. I’m no Mike Dean fan but he was right to play on here.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

In the unlikely event of the Albion ever again being 1-0 up with 5 minutes plus to go we, we ALL, will be baying for Albion players to hit the deck as if there was a sniper in the WSU.

I dont think its so much in the last 5 mins that people are that concerned about, however frustrating that is. Wolves seemed to be timewasting almost from the start, players going down to stop attacks, snails pace going off for subs, goal kicks taking forever,other teams are guilty of it, and Im sure so are Brighton on occasion, but Wolves and a few others seem to have elevated it to an art form

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Thing is the player in question wasn’t hit on the head so the ref shouldn’t stop the game. Just Smug Eddie getting his excuses in early.
My suggestion for this play acting is that VAR should be reviewing these head clashes and if it is obvious that players are feigning head injuries they should be given the yellow card. I expect that would put a stop to it. Frankly it’s cheating of the worse kind as it is using a potentially serious issue to cheat.
Wolves players did it on a regular basis. They may be a good team but I’m glad I don’t follow them.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne

No. I won't. It is one of the most shit things about modern football and is getting worse every season.

Wolves were allowed to take it to a ridiculous extreme by an inexperienced referee.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I dont think its so much in the last 5 mins that people are that concerned about, however frustrating that is. Wolves seemed to be timewasting almost from the start, players going down to stop attacks, snails pace going off for subs, goal kicks taking forever,other teams are guilty of it, and Im sure so are Brighton on occasion, but Wolves and a few others seem to have elevated it to an art form

It's an art form that's working better for them than 85% accurate passes is working for GPott.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Agree. Either that or where anyone claims a head injury they have to sit out 15 minutes or be subbed.

Thing is the player in question wasn’t hit on the head so the ref shouldn’t stop the game. Just Smug Eddie getting his excuses in early.
My suggestion for this play acting is that VAR should be reviewing these head clashes and if it is obvious that players are feigning head injuries they should be given the yellow card. I expect that would put a stop to it. Frankly it’s cheating of the worse kind as it is using a potentially serious issue to cheat.
Wolves players did it on a regular basis. They may be a good team but I’m glad I don’t follow them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Have to say Wolves were a joke at Selhurst back in November. The Wolves physio didn't even bother moving off the bench, He knew the players had been told to play act.

You were short changed.

We had TWO Wolves physios on Wednesday night, who spent nearly as much time on the pitch as the players. A quite tall chap who ran in front, followed closely by a shorter lady who sprinted gamely after him but never quite caught up - like a sort of post-modern Benny Hill sketch.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

I disagree and you will never, ever be able to prove it either.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Players abusing the rules that was made to prevent someone with serious head injuries to go unattended is a new low for the sports. A small sentiment of the people watching obviously love it, the same ones who love any kind of furbo, like diving, but in the end it ruins the sport and will eventually require a lot of rule changes that really shouldnt be needed. Whenever a few teams does it, everyone else needs to do it to keep up and it is just a vicious circle. In the last twenty years we've seen such developments as holding onto the ball for a long while whenever the opponents get a throw in, to slow the pace down and get back in positions. And at every single free kick there are opponents standing on the ball to prevent a quick restart. Its shite and should be punished. In no other top league in Europe are free kicks being taken as slowly as in the PL. Was lovely to see Jimenez get a red for it a few weeks ago.

Think Bielsa was spot on a few weeks when he said top football is progressively getting worse and more boring.

Your 20th post today with the "Albion are shit in every department and everyone else is great" shit stirring. Like a horny masochist doing the helicopter euphorically at a time when everyone else feels the pain and frustration.

You have a hard time understanding that people get annoyed with Wolves players throughout the game going down holding their head every third minute because a Brighton player was in the same postcode as they were? Not surprising. I'll explain it: most of us wanted the game to go on without these time wasting interruptions because even if the chances of Brighton scoring during the odd moments when football was played, they were bigger than when the game was called off because some Wolves player went down. Most people dont do the euphorical helicopter when Brighton lose, so thats why people were annoyed.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's an art form that's working better for them than 85% accurate passes is working for GPott.

Wolves scored one goal, ultimately from a corner that resulted from a free kick for a Wolves player stubbing his toe on the ground and falling over.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wolves scored one goal, ultimately from a corner that resulted from a free kick for a Wolves player stubbing his toe on the ground and falling over.
The way it is right now I want Albion players to do anything to get a win over the line and end this mess, so we can return to looking forward and jettison the usual negative trolls.

Would love to see the holier than thou on here respond to an Albion player not 'reacting' to situation, in injury time, only to see the equalizer get conceded 20 seconds later.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
The way it is right now I want Albion players to do anything to get a win over the line and end this mess, so we can return to looking forward and jettison the usual negative trolls.

Would love to see the holier than thou on here respond to an Albion player not 'reacting' to situation, in injury time, only to see the equalizer get conceded 20 seconds later.

Disagree, like many others. You seem holier than thou. Just because you have a million posts does make anyone here listen to your dumb learnings. I hate time wasting and sure, our players slow things down when we are trying to protect a lead but not to the point where the Wolves players executed it to the point where they were better at it than their actual playing.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
So your options are either:

Hayden was faking a head injury which, given the current discourse around concussions in football, is absolutely shocking behaviour as it means real head injuries will go unnoticed; or

He had a head injury and Howe and his medical staff are entirely negligent by letting him continue playing without proper checks while dazed. If so, your medical staff should be sacked on the spot for endangering Hayden’s safety.

Which one is it, Eddie?

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
extra points for when the player in question does the whole 'checking inside of mouth for blood' act.

Each weekend they should have a highlight reel of players doing this as well as holding their heads when there was no contact.

If a physio comes on and has to go through the support the neck and stabilise the player routine (with other physio) then a mandatory check at a suitable medical location follows. Because at points it's embarassing.

boik

It's only a step away from fake blood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here