Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bought Nike football stuff…? Don’t forget the Gorilla Glue

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If you have bought Nike football boots or footballs for Christmas gifts, do yourself a favour and invest in the essential accessory which i have found to be a tube of Gorilla Glue.

Now, I have always favoured Adidas football stuff but my 10 year old son needed a new pair of football boots this season and was desperate for a pair of Nike Tiempo’s. They do look nice but he has worn them for a total of 20 hours so far (matches and training) and already the upper is coming away from the sole plate. His old Adidas boots did a season and a half and are still rock solid, just too small.

Then for Christmas he really wanted the Nike PL replica ball. About £25. It arrived today and I inflated it and immediately I could hear air leaking from the value. In 20 minutes it was flat. Tried again, same result. I can’t get a replacement as everywhere is sold out so I’ve inflated it and squirted some Gorilla Glue in the valve hole which seems to have done the job for now.

Of course this means I can no longer send it back but but I’m guessing a football mad 10 year old boy would rather have an inflated football on Christmas Day rather than squidgy white, pink and black blob and a credit note. (I’ll unleash fury on the retailer in the new year and get a replacement when they are back in stock).

Im aware this is falling into ‘Cool story Bro’ territory, but if you are thinking of buying Nike football stuff for Christmas don’t forget the glue.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My son has had Nike boots for last 4 seasons and not had any issues at all. Does Sunday matches and 3 nights training a week in them so certainly puts them through a lot.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I buy a lot of Nike trainers. All my Jordans have been absolutely perfect apart from my Jordan 7 infrareds, the front of the sole is coming away from the suede, both my vapormax squeak and soles are coming off, two pairs of Zoom Superrep are literally disintegrating and both pairs squeak, air max 90's got binned as they started falling apart and squeaking.
From my experience anything that has a visible air bubble in the sole, avoid it as it will fall apart and/or squeak.
Can't remember hearing anything bad about their football boots.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think the standard of Nike footwear is quite good , is it any better than other well known sports makes , probably not . You are paying for all their advertising and sponsorship deals !

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You can’t expect the Vietnamese orphans who make that stuff to get it spot on every time. It was probably the last pair ten year old Lo Van-Hui put together at the end of her 14 hour shift.

Ben Elton (grey single-breasted suit flecked with black): “Blimey, a bit of politics from Cheeky Monkey there!”

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Those Asian kids are crap at making clothes aren't they.

You can’t expect the Vietnamese orphans who make that stuff to get it spot on every time. It was probably the last pair ten year old Lo Van-Hui put together at the end of her 14 hour shift.

Ben Elton (grey single-breasted suit flecked with black): “Blimey, a bit of politics from Cheeky Monkey there!”

Thanks for the responses. You are of course, both correct.

Rest assured, before I purchased the Nike boots I did visit a craft fair at The Needlemakers in Lewes to see if I could source a pair of size 4 firm ground football boots knitted from Free Trade rafia and the natural by-products of real ale by an artisan weaver. Alas, no such product was available, plus my son wanted the same boot brand as Joel Veltman, so I was a bit stuck.

I have however written a strongly worded letter to Lo Van-Hui's supervisor, suggesting a little more effort so far as quality control is concerned wouldn't go amiss.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for the responses. You are of course, both correct.

Rest assured, before I purchased the Nike boots I did visit a craft fair at The Needlemakers in Lewes to see if I could source a pair of size 4 firm ground football boots knitted from Free Trade rafia and the natural by-products of real ale by an artisan weaver. Alas, no such product was available, plus my son wanted the same boot brand as Joel Veltman, so I was a bit stuck.

I have however written a strongly worded letter to Lo Van-Hui's supervisor, suggesting a little more effort so far as quality control is concerned wouldn't go amiss.

I didn't manage to award the BLOTD award yesterday, so have two :bowdown: :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For every £100 that Nike generate they make £45 immediately in profit, and have spent $10,459,000,000 in the last three years on marketing their products...two of those years impacted by Covid too.

Nike IS 2021.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For every £100 that Nike generate they make £45 immediately in profit, and have spent $10,459,000,000 in the last three years on marketing their products...two of those years impacted by Covid too.

View attachment 142861

It's still improving too - in the last quarter, their margin was up to 46.5%.

They've been ridiculously successful with their own direct-to-consumer sales over the last ten years, cutting out the middle man, meaning more profit for them. In 2011, they sold $2.9bn directly. Last year it was $16.4bn.

I'm an absolute sucker for this shit too - I have 17 pairs of running shoes in my current rotation, and every single pair has a swoosh on the side. All my running shirts, shorts, socks, hats and jackets are Nike too.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

They've been ridiculously successful with their own direct-to-consumer sales over the last ten years, cutting out the middle man, meaning more profit for them. In 2011, they sold $2.9bn directly. Last year it was $16.4bn.

I'm an absolute sucker for this shit too - I have 17 pairs of running shoes in my current rotation, and every single pair has a swoosh on the side. All my running shirts, shorts, socks, hats and jackets are Nike too.

17. As in (seventeen) ?? Blimey - the Imelda Marcos of NSC.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Spending Mustafa's Millions..

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I was wondering when you'd pop up on this thread. I'm forever in awe at your trainer collection.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I have 17 pairs of running shoes in my current rotation, and every single pair has a swoosh on the side. All my running shirts, shorts, socks, hats and jackets are Nike too.

I had always imagined you as a wise old sage, almost an oracle type, bare foot in the lotus position while calming keeping NSC online (holding an iphone)

now I have visions of a horrific beast akin to "the thing" from John Carpenter or the human centipede all dressed in Nike with multiple feet clad in air max

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here