Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Mac Allister - why isn't he playing more?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Threads on other players (Connolly, etc) mention MacAllister and chat about him a bit. Surely deserves a thread on why he's not playing more often? Totally baffles me; I know he's not always at the top of his game, no-one is - but he always seems positive, combative, and generally passes forwards. Just what we need. So - why is he not in the starting line-up more often?

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Started season doing well off the bench, never established himself as a starter and then had one of the worst 45 minutes in memory v Newcastle and hasn't seemed to have recovered. Gutted, as was really hoping he would kick on this season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Too short!

... is part of the reason, I think. With Cucurella in the team instead of Burn l, fielding Lamptey, Cucurella, Lallana, Macallister, Trossard and Maupay means you have six players quite far below the average height of a PL footballer and there will be trouble defending set pieces. I believe Moder playing is a way to compensate for that.

I'd love to see some more of him though and have a feeling he'll start vs Brentford with Moder replacing the suspended Biss.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This has perplexed me. He looked good whenever he came on earlier in the season but has completely dropped off the radar since that poor half in the Newcastle game. Seems a bit harsh to drop on that basis alone, so I assume there must be more to it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't know. He arrived looking lively, attack minded, liked to get forward, knew where the goal was and had a decent shot in him - generally a bit of fresh air. Now he doesn't (see also Moder, J, and Mwepu, E.)

I seem to remember Mac and Moder (both on as subs?) combining to score oe of our best goals from open play early on in this season. Don't look like doing it now, Must be something in the air at Lancing ..............................

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don't know. He arrived looking lively, attack minded, liked to get forward, knew where the goal was and had a decent shot in him - generally a bit of fresh air. Now he doesn't (see also Moder, J, and Mwepu, E.)

I seem to remember Mac and Moder (both on as subs?) combining to score oe of our best goals from open play early on in this season. Don't look like doing it now, Must be something in the air at Lancing ..............................

I mean if the experts on here are right, the coaching team actively teaches the players how to not score goals and in that case he should have been useless way before this season considering he's been here quite a while.

Or people are full of shit and dont know that they're talking about, its also a plausible scenario.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I mean if the experts on here are right, the coaching team actively teaches the players how to not score goals and in that case he should have been useless way before this season considering he's been here quite a while.

Or people are full of shit and dont know that they're talking about, its also a plausible scenario.
Not one of your most inciteful posts. Commenting on a perception as if it was there to be sneered at as a claim of expertise (which it wasn't) isn't a great look. Enjoy whatever you're doing tonight.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not one of your most inciteful posts. Commenting on a perception as if it was there to be sneered at as a claim of expertise (which it wasn't) isn't a great look. Enjoy whatever you're doing tonight.

True sry too much glögg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Not really our sort of player is he.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Reckon potter has drained the “go get erm” attitude out of him. Potentially very decent player now just another average player within the deck.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
MacAlistair not getting match time has baffled me for sure. But then a lot of team selection or substitute choices do. Must be an underlying reason somewhere.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I suspect the arrival of Cucurella has had a bigger impact on his game time than anything else.

Cucurella has taken March's frst team spot, who in turn has taken MacAllister's slot as first alternate/first sub.

It's bad news for Mac but I don't think it's the wrong call.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If he isn't getting game time, how long before he feels he needs to move on to protect his international aspirations? He is only 22 and already has a couple of full caps. He will quickly get overlooked if he isn't playing regularly.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
doesnt baffle me , he looks like could be a prem player but hasn't done enough for me.

He is what he is at the moment which is a squad player

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Also MacAllister is prepared to get into the box. He's done several David Platt style late runs into the box and got on the end of stuff.

He has a better goalscoring record than any of our midfielders. Though I still wouldn't call it a good goalscoring record.

Get him in the side

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here